[Rumor] Google and Asus May Be Preparing to Launch a $99 Nexus Tablet Later This Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
nexus-7-back.jpeg

This intriguing bit of news comes from DigiTimes, so we have to plop it firmly in the rumor category, but if it turns out to be true, it will likely blow the tablet market wide open! Supposedly, DigiTimes has word that Google and Asus are teaming up again to launch a $99 dollar Nexus later this year. The same "industry source" of this intel also shared that they are also planning to release a thinner version of the current Nexus 7. The report claims that both tablets will use display panels from HannStar Display.

Of course, considering that the current Nexus 7 costs Google about $157 to make, it seems implausible that they could develop a tablet that low without some major sacrifices. Still, if they can do it, the tablet landscape will change dramatically, and Apple would have a hard time competing with a tablet of that price even if they do release an iPad-mini.

It's important to note that Asus has already come forward denying this report, so we should probably remain highly skeptical.

Source: NexusTablets.net via AndroidAuthority

ThinkingBrian

May 3, 2012
I said this earlier on BGR, I wonder since its a such a small price point at $99 that this might be a 3-5" Nexus device like the iPod Touch or the Samsung Galaxy 3.6, 4.2 or 5 inch video players. But at $99, its not going to be a 7-10 inch tablet, that's the wrong direction in price. But I really hope that Google brings out a less expensive Nexus Smartphone. I can't justify $350 for an unlocked Galaxy Nexus Smartphone. In addition, is cool to see more and more consumers talking about Android, Google and devices now and buying them like the Nexus 7.

arcone

Aug 27, 2012
As I have and love the Google Nexus, I would consider a Google Nexus phone from Asus.

ThinkingBrian

May 3, 2012
As I have and love the Google Nexus, I would consider a Google Nexus phone from Asus.

I just ordered a Google (Asus) Nexus 7 earlier today and I too would buy a Google Nexus Smartphone from Asus or even LG if the hardware, software (with at least ICS if not Jelly Bean) and price is right.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
A 5" screen tablet would make a fantastic portable media player. Compete head on with the iPod Touch, bite some of that gravy off AAPL.

Go Google!!!

Lag

Sep 29, 2012
yann2 said:
A 5" screen tablet would make a fantastic portable media player. Compete head on with the iPod Touch, bite some of that gravy off AAPL.

Go Google!!!

But I don't think that anybody would need such a device. A 5" tablet would just be interesting for people who doesn't have a smartphone yet, since the average screen size is already 4" and it offers every feature a tablet pc can offer.