S7 and AT&T Prepaid Data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4NYV

Dec 5, 2010
I am a Verizon user with my HTC Android phone, so I do not have the flexibility of just pulling a SIM and putting it in my S7. Having said, what are my options for a prepaid data plan on AT&T? Has anyone else here been in the same boat and what did you do? I am avoiding switching carriers, if I can. I really like my Verizon phone service.

Is there a cheap phone I can pick up at Walmart or similar store that I can pull the SIM from, activate and use? Can I make it data only and will it be worth the money to do this in the first place?

Thanks!
Jason.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Which HTC Android? I also am a Verizon customer, with an HTC Incredible. I rooted the phone, and have flashed it to Skyraider 3.3.4 ROM which allows me to use my phone as a WiFi hotspot without the Verizon Surcharge. Now I just connect to the phone via WiFi for my Tablet.

if you have questions on this approach let me know!

KE4NYV

Dec 5, 2010
Which HTC Android? I also am a Verizon customer, with an HTC Incredible. I rooted the phone, and have flashed it to Skyraider 3.3.4 ROM which allows me to use my phone as a WiFi hotspot without the Verizon Surcharge. Now I just connect to the phone via WiFi for my Tablet.

Ah, interesting! I have an HTC Eris. Rooted, running XtaSense ROM. I too use my phone as a Wifi hotpot, but with my laptop. However, I cannot get my S7 to connect to the hotpot or even see it through the normal wifi connection settings. If I fire up WifiAnalyzer I CAN see it, but that's it. Someone else on the forum said that the hotspot app is actually running AdHoc and that is why the S7 will not connect or even see it in the normal wifi settings page. I thought it was actually running a mini DHCP server, assigning IPs, but apparently this is not the case.

What did you do differently to get it working? I would appreciate the help!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I am using the same app (WiFi Tether Version 2.0.5-pre10) with no issues at all.

KE4NYV

Dec 5, 2010
OK, thanks for the info. I am actually running that same hotspot app (came with XtaSense ROM), but I just updated it to the latest version for the Incredible, Evo, ect and it did not appear to make any difference. A wifi scan in setting does not show, but I can see it with WifiAnalyzer. I didn't get the IPtable complaint message, so I am assuming that is installed. No idea what is wrong.

dvdrms

Nov 27, 2010
check that thread the i gave you. my s7 wasnt see it, until i did does step in the s7.

KE4NYV

Dec 5, 2010
check that thread the i gave you. my s7 wasnt see it, until i did does step in the s7.

Thanks, I am reading through this, but I am unsure what does apply to the S7 and what doesn't. For example, they mention a Samsung rooting program for download, but will that work with the S7? I have the one-click root app copied over to the S7, the same one that I used with the Eris, but I think it wants to load an Eris-ROM and obviously I can't load that on the S7. I guess I am just being a bit gunshy with my less that 24 hour old toy :)

dvdrms

Nov 27, 2010
I did the following...
* downloaded the wpa_supplicant.txt file on the computer.
* renamed it to wpa_supplicant
* Hooked the S7 to USB, mounted the card, copied it into a directory called "downloads" on the internal SD card.
* Made a directory on the card called "backups" to put stuff like the old file in.
* Unmounted the SD card
* fired up root explorer and used it's "move" function to move /system/bin/wpa_supplicant to the /SDcard/backups directory
* Make the /system/bin directory RW (this is important, it is only read only to start)
* used the "move" function in root explorer to move the file from /downloads to /system/bin
* got out of root explorer (this resets the directory to read only).
* rebooted.

this is what i did thx to brachiopod you dont have to load nothing to the eris or from thr eris

KE4NYV

Dec 5, 2010
I did the following...
* downloaded the wpa_supplicant.txt file on the computer.
* renamed it to wpa_supplicant
* Hooked the S7 to USB, mounted the card, copied it into a directory called "downloads" on the internal SD card.
* Made a directory on the card called "backups" to put stuff like the old file in.
* Unmounted the SD card
* fired up root explorer and used it's "move" function to move /system/bin/wpa_supplicant to the /SDcard/backups directory
* Make the /system/bin directory RW (this is important, it is only read only to start)
* used the "move" function in root explorer to move the file from /downloads to /system/bin
* got out of root explorer (this resets the directory to read only).
* rebooted.

this is what i did thx to brachiopod you dont have to load nothing to the eris or from thr eris

Ok, Thanks! I just printed this out to refer to as I do it. Right now I am in the process of rooting the S7. What was the easiest method that you found to root? Once I get over that hurdle it looks like the rest is easy.

As for the Eris, I know that I do not need to load anything on it. What I was referring to was the "one click" root app that I had used to root the Eris. I was hoping I could use that app to "one click" root the S7, but that doesn't appear to be an option. I am looking at the Galaxy rooting instructions now.

KE4NYV

Dec 5, 2010
Ah, nevermind, I found Universal AndRoot and that took care of rooting!

KE4NYV

Dec 5, 2010
Well, I followed the steps and everything appeared fine, until after a reboot. It came up and stated that it could not start the wifi connection. Just to make sure I didn't destroy something, I copied the backed up file back into /system/bin and did a reboot. It came back up and I had wifi again, so I guess I am back at square one. Although, I am rooted now!

Status
Not open for further replies.