S7 phone with AT&T?

cbinks

Nov 20, 2010
Picked up an S7-104 today at BB and like it but one reason I went with the Huawei is the phone using current sim card.
I have a sim card out of my AT&T blackberry that I cannot seem to make work for phone or data.
Any one else had any issue with ATT sim and phone usage?

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
Picked up an S7-104 today at BB and like it but one reason I went with the Huawei is the phone using current sim card.
I have a sim card out of my AT&T blackberry that I cannot seem to make work for phone or data.
Any one else had any issue with ATT sim and phone usage?

should work for you, i have it working on the same frequency with another provider; the data settings are on the tips n tricks sticky but in the meantime under settings make sure you are under automatic settings ie GSM/WCDMA; and u will also need to enter your APN settings for AT&T for data to work..

good luck, u will like the S7; great value for the $$, hoping to hear official news on Froyo 2.2 update though..

EDIT: form 1st sticky here are the APN settings;

Get it to work on AT&T for Data Services
With the simcard inserted, enter the following APN settings (Go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks. Use the Menu key to modify entries), and reboot the device:
Name: AT&T
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: leave blank
Port: leave blank
Username:[email protected]
Password:CINGULAR1
Server: leave blank
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC:310
MNC:410
APN Type: leave blank

cbinks

Nov 20, 2010
Thanks for the reply, i have alredy tried the APN settings with no success. I had a mobile wireless signal for about 1 minute with no APN yesterday then it went dead and could never get it again.
Exchanged for a new unit today and it acts just the same way. When rebooting with sim card in the S7 it wipes the APN off. I think the issue may be that a blackberry sim card is different?The blackberry must get service books pushed to it with a lot of the data that may be on another phones sim card? Anyone used a AT&T blackberry sim card yet with success?

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
^dont know how it is with AT&T but my sim car is BB enabled and having no problems with the data; keep in mind i am using it in Canada with a Canadian 3G provider..

luckyxero

Nov 6, 2010
I had 3G usb device that I pulled the sim card from and using the config data in the thread, it worked fine. Need to power down and back on though.

peeter111

Nov 24, 2010
I don't have the blackberry plan but I did have trouble getting the ATT data to work. The instructions are good. I did manually search for network providers and select one. This resulted in a message like "registered on network". This is probably not needed but it did give me feedback that I was communicating with the network. I noticed now that the S7 shuts down wifi when switching to 3g data and vice versa. I think if I had wifi disabled, my setup may have gone easier.

Last edited:

teo_droid

Nov 25, 2010
Thanks for the reply, i have alredy tried the APN settings with no success. I had a mobile wireless signal for about 1 minute with no APN yesterday then it went dead and could never get it again.
Exchanged for a new unit today and it acts just the same way. When rebooting with sim card in the S7 it wipes the APN off. I think the issue may be that a blackberry sim card is different?The blackberry must get service books pushed to it with a lot of the data that may be on another phones sim card? Anyone used a AT&T blackberry sim card yet with success?

As I wrote elsewhere, I've had this exact same problem for almost a week now, having exchanged the unit 3 times, and having tried every possible APN combination. It's sad that 3g capability is one of the most attractive features of this tablet, yet the AT&T sim card issue is so widespread as to remain the #1 reason why dissatisfied users continue to return or exchange this otherwise fantastic tablet. It's as if Huawei did not take the time to test this tablet extensively with AT&T sim cards specifically, otherwise they would have easily spotted it. I have no idea if this a hardware problem with their sim card reader having trouble reading AT&T sim cards correctly, a specific issue with the architecture of the card that AT&T uses, an issue with some intricacies of Android 2.1, or a particular problem with the Huawei rom/software. Hopefully some engineer on the forum could try to take a stab at this. I also hope that we can collectively find a way to convey this important issue to Huawei, since they are running the risk of losing an entire slew of AT&T customers unless their engineers quickly look into this serious issue.

PaulM

Nov 22, 2010
As I wrote elsewhere, I've had this exact same problem for almost a week now, having exchanged the unit 3 times, and having tried every possible APN combination. It's sad that 3g capability is one of the most attractive features of this tablet, yet the AT&T sim card issue is so widespread as to remain the #1 reason why dissatisfied users continue to return or exchange this otherwise fantastic tablet. It's as if Huawei did not take the time to test this tablet extensively with AT&T sim cards specifically, otherwise they would have easily spotted it. I have no idea if this a hardware problem with their sim card reader having trouble reading AT&T sim cards correctly, a specific issue with the architecture of the card that AT&T uses, an issue with some intricacies of Android 2.1, or a particular problem with the Huawei rom/software. Hopefully some engineer on the forum could try to take a stab at this. I also hope that we can collectively find a way to convey this important issue to Huawei, since they are running the risk of losing an entire slew of AT&T customers unless their engineers quickly look into this serious issue.

I don't the ATT sim card problem is as widespread as you think. I've used a ATT sim in my S7 made calls got access on 3G with no problems at all.
I currently use a Tmob sim and works perfect, calls and edge work fine.

The ATT sims do work well but I think there is some sort of procedure we're missing
that we don't know of yet. I'd give it a few days and I'm pretty sure some one
will stumble upon the answer.

As for mine both worked right away after I changed the settings for ATT that were posted. Tmob worked right away with no changes at all.

Beepoo83

Nov 25, 2010
Hi
do you remember me!!! :)
yes I'm who has the same problem you have.
I have fixed the problem
first you have to root the device do to A market thin search for z4root very easy install it then open it and rood the device ( I used the temporary) after that turn it off insert the sim card and enjoy my friend
I did a voice call and it works very well. I haven't test the data but I will provide you with the update ASAP.

troyy0206

Nov 14, 2010
I took the AT&T SIM out of my HTC Aria and popped it into the S7 and was able to make a call right away. Once I got the correct APN settings working, data fired right up. I will say <embarrassed> that I accidentally put the card in backwards the first time and when I would configure the APN settings and reboot the APN settings were gone. Once I <again embarrassed> put the SIM in right, the APN settings I had put in before were in there three times :-s It worked find after this. Perhaps you should go by AT&T and have them give you a new sim card. There could be something wrong with the one you have or something and the device isn't seeing it properly (much like one being inserted backwards). Wouldn't hurt to check.

ainyul

Nov 12, 2010
what 3g network does it work on in Canada

i have it working on fido/rogers network, on 3G...; pretty sure if i try BELL and/or TELUS 3G should work as well, since they have the same 3G frquency as ROGERS..;

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
i have it working on fido/rogers network, on 3G...; pretty sure if i try BELL and/or TELUS 3G should work as well, since they have the same 3G frquency as ROGERS..;

Some observations about this issue.
I picked up my device this morning and set it up in the BB car park.
Slipped my Tmob SIM inside and immediately made a call.
But, no data even after attempting an APN change!
(BTW remember Tmob APN is internet2.voicestream.com if you want to connect without having to take out a smartphone plan!!!)
Found out there is an Android enable data function and that the APN which is auto set must be deleted and input manualy.
Then all worked perfectly.
I must admit that a 3g enabled, wireless n, gps, Android phone for this money is a steal.
The assistant in BB didn't know it was gps and SIM enabled!

Jokout

Nov 28, 2010
Actually, each of the BestBuy stores I visited listed the S7 as wifi only, I had to show them the 3G listing on the box before they would believe me!
cheers!

Jokout

Nov 28, 2010
Actually, each of the BestBuy stores I visited listed the S7 as wifi only, I had to show them the 3G listing on the box before they would believe me!
cheers!