Same google account multiple devices

R@TTY

Jan 5, 2011
Hi Guys

Still not got a tablet yet, long story (or in a long thread) was buying on for my daughter, but got her an ipod touch now she's happy!

Currently run a HTC Desire and loving the Android had a few plays with a Galaxy tab and it got me thinking can you log in to multiple devices with the same google account? and be using these at the same time. As the HTC Desire can be a wifi hotspot it would be the perfect match when yuo just need that bigger screen, Oh and just it would be another gadget to carry around mmmmmmm.

As they say "He who dies with the most toys wins"

If so i need to start looking now then, what do i get LOL

jkane

Jun 23, 2010
Yes. I have a HTC Desire and an Archos 10.1. Things in the market that I buy show up in both, unless the item is not avaialble for the Archos which happened for a couple things.

If you are asking about email, contacts, and calendar, those also work on both at the same time. Not sure if the "exact" same time, but both sync up with my google account in the background. :p

One point ... I have US Cellular. They do not do WiFi hotspot yet. They say that the 2.2 upgrade will be available by the end of this month, but then again, it was supposed to be last October, so we'll see! They also charge a lot more to offer a plan with the hotspot included. I don't know if that means it won't work without that package at all, or in some limited fashion, or what. I tried some WiFi tethering applications on the current android version, and they all do Ad-Hoc only. Android can "talk" adhoc, but it won't connect to another device with it. What that means, is that your phone and your tablet will allow other devices to conenct to them as adhoc devices, but they won't do it themselves. So, the phone will be seen as an adhoc device on the tablet, but the tablet will refuse to connect to it!

Now, I don't know if 2.2 on the Desire turns on infrastructure mode or not. I have yet to get it to find out. If it does, then the tablet will start to connect to it. If not, there is a hack for the tablet to make it work with adhoc also. But that requires root, and when Archos put out 2.2, they fixed the root exploits making it much harder to change that file to turn adhoc mode on. :-(

What I am saying, is that you MIGHT be able to do a wifi connect to your Desire, but it is dependent on a lot of other things being supported in the release you have, and also in the manufacturer not disabling those features in future updates.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I can also verify. I currently have my Google account linked to my phone, and three different tablets. Everything that is platform appropriate syncs in all places (if an app is not supported on the device, it doesn't show). same with calendar and contacts, this does not sync with all versions of Android.

R@TTY

Jan 5, 2011
Thanks for the replies, thats it then will start hunting for a tablet now then.

I got 2.2 on the HTC already and the wifi hotspot works fine linked my laptop up to it no probs so can't see a problem with a tablet.

jkane

Jun 23, 2010
Laptops run Windows, Linux, or mabye even Mac of some kind. All of those OS's recognize a WiFi ad-hoc type networks. Android does not connect to it without a hack. It will see it, but will not connect successfully. Unless your HTC is in WiFi infrastructure mode, it might now work for you. I know some phones do do infrastructure mode, so you might be OK. WiFi has two modes, ad-hoc which is a peer to peer type where only one device can use it at a time, and infrastructure where multiple devices can connect to the same "access point" at the same time.

I hope yours works out for you!

R@TTY

Jan 5, 2011
Your really confusing me with that stuff lol

all i know is i tapped the icon, set a password, then i searched on my laptop for wifi spot put in password and i was surfing, we tried it last night too with my mate iphone that also connected.

here's hoping a tablet would work, wots the best for around £150.