Samsung Galaxy Tab available on Verizon Wireless November 11

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
samsung-tab-nov11.jpeg

It's official folks, the Samsung Galaxy Tab will be available November 11th at your local friendly neighborhood Verizon Wireless store! That Tab will launch with an unsubsidized pricetag of $599, the same price as the Apple iPad 32GB. The data plan will run you an additional $20 per month with a 1GB cap. I've had a little one on one time with the tab and I can say it's very impressive. Will you be in line to get one? Check our the entire press release below and let us know your thoughts.

BASKING RIDGE, NJ, and DALLAS, TX — Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced the highly anticipated Samsung Galaxy Tab™ will be available Nov. 11 for $599.99. Running on Android™ 2.2, the Samsung Galaxy Tab features a brilliant 7-inch touch screen; robust HTML Web browsing experience with full support for Adobe® Flash® 10.1 for video and mobile gaming; and a 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird Application processor.

“This is an incredible time in mobile technology, and as a company we’re excited to add the Samsung Galaxy Tab to our portfolio,” said Marni Walden, vice president and chief marketing officer for Verizon Wireless. “The Samsung Galaxy Tab brings together the reliability of Verizon Wireless’ 3G network and the power of Android 2.2 to deliver on our promise of providing consumers and business customers with a host of options to help manage their lives.”

Popular mobile applications, including V CAST Music and V CAST Song ID, VZ Navigator®, Slacker Radio, Kindle for Android, BLOCKBUSTER On Demand® presented by V CAST Video, and the exclusive golf game, “Let’s Golf,” will be available on the Samsung Galaxy Tab. In addition to text, picture and video messaging, the Samsung Galaxy Tab will also feature V CAST Apps, Verizon Wireless’ mobile storefront offering hundreds of applications for businesses and consumers at launch.

Verizon Wireless customers can add a monthly access plan beginning at $20 a month for 1 GB on their Samsung Galaxy Tab. For additional features and specifications on the Samsung Galaxy Tab, visit www.verizonwireless.com/galaxytab.

For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, 4G LTE network with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless.

Oct 2, 2010
I'm just glad the eLocity and the Archos 70 are coming out first. I'd hate to spend that kind of money without seeing how good/bad the cheaper tabs are, KWIM?

klown07

Aug 27, 2010
Actually, I don't think the elocity a7 preorders will be fulfilled until November 22nd. I googled and read an article about walmart.com and other websites besides amazon.com to be having preorders for elocity a7 since initial preorders have been strong. You have to scroll down a bit when you search google. And I'm more cautious now about the elocity because I can't find any more news, or any new video of it anywhere. We're just supposed to preorder and trust. Let's hope this company doesn't hit and run.

Oct 2, 2010
Yikes! Well that certainly throws a wrench into my plans. Oh well, it will still be worth the await to see which tablet will be best for me. I hate to say it, but so far the Galaxy tab is still the leader for me but I'd hate to spend that kind of money on it.

klown07

Aug 27, 2010
Me too android tablet fan, me too. I'm mighty tempted though my wife will KICK MY ASS

Gin Martini

Oct 20, 2010
I certainly won't be in line for that. Before it was announced, I had so much hope on it ( might be less expansive than an Ipad, might include an amoled screen). but now, I'll give my $350 to Archos for one of their 101.

Jul 15, 2010
I'm thinking of doing the same Gin Martini. I really wanted to get that Samsung but that is just to steep without a regular job. :(

Soopa83

Oct 21, 2010
i like the features of the samsung tab, and the overall look - but i dislike that it (and most other tablets) seem to have so much unnecessary bulk around the edges, it makes them awkward to hold...maybe my hands are just freakishly small?

Jul 15, 2010
i like the features of the samsung tab, and the overall look - but i dislike that it (and most other tablets) seem to have so much unnecessary bulk around the edges, it makes them awkward to hold...maybe my hands are just freakishly small?
I have small hands too since I'm only 5'3" and I haven't had any problems with my 7" apad. You'll get used to it and it's not as much bulk as you think. ;)

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
The Elocity A7 is scheduled to go on sale in mid-November per our direct communications with the company. In addition, I had the opportunity to briefly use the Samsung Galaxy Tab at a tech show. Honestly, I was not impress... at least that price point. Others who also used the Galaxy Tab were not impressed either. Not a great sign.

We are planning on doing a full review as I am sure every other several tech blogs will too. It is disappointing that the price point is high. Unfortunately pricing an Android tablet (with decent specs instead of top tier) the same as the iPad does not guarantee success. Guess we will find out the sales results.

Soopa83

Oct 21, 2010
sprint's tab will be available on 11/14 @ $399.99 w/a 2-year service agreement, with $29.99/2gb of data. same $599 unsubsidized cost.

klown07

Aug 27, 2010
And supposedly a wi-fi only galaxy tab will sell at Best Buy for $499.99. That's definitely much better, but I was still hoping for a $400 price tag.

Oct 2, 2010
Yeah. I was looking at that today too. 499 is a little better than 649!

I also read about an accessory to the Galaxy tablet. It's a bluetooth pen for on screen writing and it has a little microphone on it so it doubles as a bluetooth speaker phone. I think I want the pen more than the tablet! I'll look like something out of a Get Smart episode with that gadget. ;)

Darkseider

Oct 19, 2010
As nice as the Galaxy Tab is I think Samsung missed the boat on this one. Too late to market and too expensive. With the like of the Archos 7 and 101 as well as the Elocity A7 dropping in a week or so it isn't all that attractive anymore. Especially seeing that the Archos 7 compares well and is about 1/2 the cost of the Galaxy Tab. Better luck next time Samsung. Either that or drop the Wifi model to $399 in a hurry.

nhkny

Oct 26, 2010
Hi everyone!

I am a producer at NHK Japan Broadcasting Corporation, based in the American bureau in NYC.

Here's a chance for you to be on Japanese and American TV! We are doing a story on tablets and are covering the launch of the Galaxy Tab on November 11. We want to follow someone as they receive the Galaxy Tab, open it, and start using it. We will also interview you about yourself and why you chose to purchase the tablet.

Thanks in advance for helping us out. If you are interested, please call / nine one seven seven five five zero nine three five / or send me an email to LAVANTURE(AT)NHKNY.COM