Screen navigation

Vtabber

Nov 23, 2011
I'm thrilled with my new Vtab and still learning its functionality. I'm also on a learning curve with Android in general (my other 'tablet' is an iPod touch) but liking it. I'm a little puzzled about having to rely on the "back" button on the lower bezel so much - unlike with the iPod, there aren't back arrows on the screen. Also seems strange to have to go into menu for "forward" navigation. I'm using Dolphin HD browser. Having to use the designated back button is sometimes a little awkward if I've got the Vtab propped up on my stomach, and it requires you to use your left hand exclusively.
Not major problems, just wondering if this is Android, Vtab, or what?

thanks
richard

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
the basic answer is Yes. This is both an Android OS and then implementation specific feature in how it is accomplished. There are also apps that you can get such as ButtonSavior that allow you to move these functions to different places on your screen, or to hide them completely.

Also, if you look you will see that the way these functions are realized changes in ICS

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Vtabber, the back button is definitely an advantage over just a home button. Although you should have home and menu buttons as well. The back button is contextual as pbrauer has stated. This means that sometimes you can go back one screen or sometimes you can go back to the previous app or home by using the back button. If you do want to return directly to your home screen you can use the home button.

As pbrauer also mentioned you can get soft buttons such as button savior (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.smart.swkey&hl=en) or softkeys (https://market.android.com/details?...ibmV0Lmhvb3Bham9vLmFuZHJvaWQuU29mdEtleXMiXQ..) to put buttons wherever they are convenient on your screen.

You also have many options for browsers which all have different features. One of the features of the Dolphin Browser is that if you touch the screen it will bring up forward and back buttons that you can use to navigate (if you have a page to go forward to). Dolphin Browser also supports gesture commands and by turning them on in the menu you can use the < and > gestures to navigate forward and back. Features | Smart Phone. Clever Browsing..

Overall you should find that Android has many more useful navigation features than the Apple devices. Though Apple devices are nice (I have two iPhones), once you use an Android device with its flexibility and customization options it can be hard to go back to Apple sometimes (why can't my clock and weather apps live update!).

JP

Last edited by a moderator: