sd card not being recognized.

milne

Apr 23, 2014
my tablet using andoid 4.1.1 refuses to believe there is a sd card so cannot use the camera etc. If go to settings and click storage settings closes with the message 'settings has closed'. All other functions of settings works. if go to file manager it says 'directory is read banned' when try to go to external sd card files. if touch external sd card messge 'file does not exist' occurs. if hit the up icon also, hit gallery and message ' file does not exist' occurs.

i have even hit the reset button back to factory settings with no help.

any ideas out there?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
It sounds as if you got a bad SD card. A card reader attached to a PC may confirm that.

milne

Apr 23, 2014
nope. tried 3 different cards. all the same result. and it works fine in a pc as well

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Your card slot may be bad. Were all the cards the same brand and/or vendor?

milne

Apr 23, 2014
no. different brands od sd card. verbatim, scandisk etc. FOR MORE INFORMATION when I remove the sd card, I get a message in the bottom corner" removed external SD card" and when i put it back I get the message" preparing external sd card". But then nothing in the tablet. So it looks like it is definitely software, not hardware

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
If it's software it isn't Android. It would be some other app you have installed. If that isn't the case then I still say it's hardware. Just because it sees it inserted and removed doesn't mean it's working on read and write.

Last edited:

milne

Apr 23, 2014
I have checked other forums and it appears to be quite a common problem. One answer was to map and replace the mother board. So do not lose your receipt!!!!!!! Only 4 months old and failing