sd memory speed make big difference?

dragonfire

Oct 18, 2010
I want to order a microsd 16gb for the archos 70 I have on pre-order, I see there is still quite a price difference between a 16gb class 6 vs class 10 chip, my question: is the extra speed (class 10 vs 6, I wouldn't use class 2) make a big enough difference to justify the higher cost:confused:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I did some personal tests initially, Back in August/September 2010. It seemed to be the Firmware, device CPU and hardware all together which could affect the Flash R/W performance. There was a VIA 8505 unit I tested which could read really quickly but horrid writes on any class. The Cortex A8 unit (A81-E) was fast, but it did not really change the results that much. The Class 2 were obviously slower than the Class 6 I used to test. But it did not seem to be a critical factor. OnBoard storage obviously read faster with faster internal Chips. But I honestly am waiting for the new unit (My 101) to repeat these tests again.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Not that much stuff runs off the SD card with a stock config, so it doesn't make a big difference. You do want a faster card if you are moving stuff from and to the card, but it wont affect Android much. It depends on your usage scenario, but most of the time most users wont notice a difference.

Usually I'd recommend no less than class 2, but class 4 doesn't hurt especially for very high quality HD video playback. Class 2 works just fine for most purposes. The files being dealt with usually aren't much larger than a couple hundred KBs. Sustained transfer speed isn't what matters in most cases.

Class 4 is safe for most

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

• Class 4 - Minimum of 4 MB/s performance.

dragonfire

Oct 18, 2010
Not that much stuff runs off the SD card with a stock config, so it doesn't make a big difference. You do want a faster card if you are moving stuff from and to the card, but it wont affect Android much. It depends on your usage scenario, but most of the time most users wont notice a difference.

who said anything about a stock config? :) I usually move as many apps as I can to the sd card (using app2sd until froyo is installed). So in your opinion I should be fine with either a class 4 or 6 and class 10 wouldn't make really a difference? (especially for the price diff between them).

Thanks

Df