Simple Tablet Needs

mukguk

Sep 28, 2011
Looking for others thoughts on tablets. I'm only interested in android os. Just interested in surfing net and viewing media content.

Want great display (that's why I'm not looking at netbooks, though I could be wrong there). Not interested in camera, anything social

media, don't need gbs, don't need to type or create content, no need for 3g or 4g, wifi is sufficent.. Simply want total internet

access while lounging in recliner and when something of interest comes to mind I can search it out. Kindle Fire seems to be along

those lines as well as great price point (not interested in ebooks or purchasing ereader content. BUT I do want to access android

market place incase I see apps of interest. Not sure if Kindle Fire is more propietary in regard to apps. Would like current Android

OS, if you think that might be necessary for my interests. Hope my ramblings are as clear as mud. Just looking for food for thought.

Thanks mukguk

mukguk

Sep 28, 2011
hi mukguk,
welcome to the forum, and which size of tablet would you prefer?
you know,there's a big sale in our site, large discount(up to 20% OFF) for android 2.3 tablet PC, here's the link:Special Offer Discount Electronics - Special Price Produts - Special Promotion
maybe there's something of your interest, welcome!:)

Thanks SpeMall, I'm open to a 7 or 10 inch tablet. Just read some stuff about the toshiba thrive 7 inch to come out. Supposed to have a great display. Do the android 2.3 tab have good reponse browsing the internet (my main purpose) I've browsed the app market some and see that theres an app for netflix that works in 2.3 so it looks like shouldn't be a problem with apps for that version. I'm really not looking for someone to tell me what to buy necessarily, but with my described intent of use, would older models and system be fine. Thanks for your reply SpeMall, I'll check out 2.3 tabs for sale and continue reading the forum. muguk

mericjohnson

Jun 27, 2011
I have been using the Acer Iconia A500 for several months now. I love it. I think it would meet your needs.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
If you're looking for a 7" with access to the Android Market, then the Fire won't work for you - it only has access to the Amazon Appstore. Although the Appstore does have a lot of apps, it isn't the Android Market. It IS specced well, though; dual core processor, IPS display, anti-reflective coating -etc. It does lack a mic and cameras, however. The cheaper tablets that were linked by SpeMall likely won't have well calibrated displays; so you won't get an 'excellent' experience there. They also wouldn't have IPS displays, so you'd get narrow viewing angles.

The Acer A100 is a good choice for a 7" tablet, in my opinion, although the battery life is lacking. I think it's 5-6 hours? It doesn't have an IPS display either, to the best of my knowledge.

As for 10" tablets - the Acer Iconia A500 is a good choice, as is the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer. The Transformer has the 3rd best display quality-wise out of all major tablets, and also has the best calibrated whites out of all major tablets - this is according to scientific analysis by DisplayMate. It has an IPS display, giving it very wide viewing angles. The Iconia A500 does fairly well, too, but it uses a TFT display (not good viewing angles) and is quite a bit worse than the Transformer taking 4th place.

It really depends on how much you want to pay - good displays come with good tablets, and those tend to be $300-$400. You also get a whackload of other things with those tablets (dual core processors, dockable keyboards with batteries and USB ports (Transformer), Android Honeycomb (good OS)), but those might not be as necessary for you. You usually have to pay more, but in the end you also pay for the features you may not necessarily need (although Dual Core processors and Honeycomb are always nice ;)).

The Fire, though, seems to be an exception to the rule - although it doesn't really run 'Android', per-say, as it is super-heavily skinned, it does have a great display and is still cheap at the same time.

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Thanks SpeMall, I'm open to a 7 or 10 inch tablet. Just read some stuff about the toshiba thrive 7 inch to come out. Supposed to have a great display. Do the android 2.3 tab have good reponse browsing the internet (my main purpose) I've browsed the app market some and see that theres an app for netflix that works in 2.3 so it looks like shouldn't be a problem with apps for that version. I'm really not looking for someone to tell me what to buy necessarily, but with my described intent of use, would older models and system be fine. Thanks for your reply SpeMall, I'll check out 2.3 tabs for sale and continue reading the forum. muguk
:) You're welcome,and i think this one seems can meet your requirements:7 inch Capacitive Screen Google Android 2.3 Tablet PC with SAMSUNG S5PV210 Processor 3D Game WiFi - China Electronics Wholesale - Consumer Electronics Gadgets Dropship From China
Anyway, it's all up to u, hope you can find what you really want,and have a nice experience on tablet online buying...

DarrylB

Aug 31, 2011
Hey mukguk welcome to the forum! For the price and functionality you need the Kindle Fire seems like a good choice, thing is it won't be shipping for a while yet so perhaps it's not the best solution if you're looking for something sooner. Like Walkop already mentioned though you will be limited to the Amazon App Store if you buy the Kindle Fire. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you won't find as many apps there as you would with the official Android Market. In a sense there are benefits to this too however, what I mean is Amazon is more strict and has higher standards regarding what apps are displayed, whereas you'll find a lot of junk apps in the Android Market because they will get displayed whether or not they are good grade apps. It's one of those cases where less can actually be more.