Skype on Haipad M701 - where?

aweks

Dec 7, 2010
Hi,

I just received new Haipad M701 from China - it says Android 2.1
I checked in Android Market on internet the Skype program - it is there. But when I enter AndroidMarket from Haipad, I cannot find Skype application.

Do I missing something? Btw other apps can be installed via AndroidMarket with no problems.

Thanks a lot for help!

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I found Skype and installed it, however it constantly crashed my M701-R until I uninstalled it and tried Fring.
Fring worked until I discovered that the microphone (in mine at least ) is abysmal. That is to say that it's really really bad sounding.

Matt262

Nov 8, 2010
+1 the mic in my tablet is anything but acceptable in terms of being a good mic...not sure what that issue is but I'm inclined to think it's hardware (either placement internally, or the gain is WAY too low -- this would be software I would think). DEFINITELY not cool...going to try out my iPod headset with mic to see if that works...stay tuned for results...

Loonix

Nov 18, 2010
Sadly it does not support headsets (already tried that =( )
Itmight be possible to replace the build in 3 contacts headset jack with a 4 contacts one
and use thin cables to connect the microphone port to it
but i dont think i want to open my m701 while it is fully working and skype is crashing all the time...

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I have knocked around the idea of a mic upgrade, and there is a video of how to open up a Haipad, but errrrrrrrr not just now.

I'm a hardware hacker from way back and would rather not risk it. Especially now that the thing seems to be running so well. (firmware update & root with autokiller)

There is also the possibility that the other hardware in the system is at fault, although I just got a decent sounding (if extremely low volume ) voice recording out of mine.

My guess at this point is that it is half hardware implementation and half software implementation, but it still equals no Skype, which is a bummer.

My bro in law and I have used Skype on our netbooks while playing Wii a couple of states apart Shame the M701-R doesn't seem to be up to it (yet)