Skype Video Calling

Jun 17, 2010
Hi. I just purchased an android tablet (7" screen) with a webcam and would like to download skype for webcam calling. I bought this tablet on Ebay. It's one of the few with a webcam. It's got the Rockchip processor.

After looking at apps available for the android, I'm wondering if skype with web calling is possible. I intially asked the seller about this and they said it was. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Also, is there a website that gives step by step instructions on downloading apps?

Thanks for any help.

mattstakilla

Jun 13, 2010
Hi. I just purchased an android tablet (7" screen) with a webcam and would like to download skype for webcam calling. I bought this tablet on Ebay. It's one of the few with a webcam. It's got the Rockchip processor.

After looking at apps available for the android, I'm wondering if skype with web calling is possible. I intially asked the seller about this and they said it was. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Also, is there a website that gives step by step instructions on downloading apps?

Thanks for any help.

I do not have my tablet yet, but from what I have read the webcams have been working on the Apads(i'm not sure this is what you have or not) but yet the microphones arent working yet. The manufacturer said that their would be an update in the future to get these working. Why they weren't working right from the start I do no know.

joshua.lyon

Jun 11, 2010
The application 'Fring' supports video chatting via Skype on the android platform. I tried it with my aPad, but couldn't get it to work as the quality was terrible.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
you could also try qik i know its not skype but it might work the best for video chat on a tablet. and its easy to install apps. just download them to an sd card then go into settings (on the tablet) applications and select unknown sources or something like that. then go into your app manager/installer app and find the app you want to install from your sd card and click to install. super easy

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
you could also try qik i know its not skype but it might work the best for video chat on a tablet.

Use nimbuzz, get it on the marketplace. It is like Fring but with built in Skype support.

Can either of you confirm these are working? Or are they just ideas/suggestions?

no i dont have a tablet with a camera but i do know the qik has a video chat app for android that works on the evo currently so i thought someone with a tablet with a camera could check it out

venjar

Jul 21, 2010
Fring is a good app for video calling + icq + msn ect.

but just to expand on this a bit more you can only call other voip users:confused:

sham google talk does not work in the uk.

how cool would it be to just PHONE a mobile or landline number for your apad.

anyway here a link to app judgment and a couple of weeks ago reviewed fring.

AppJudgment (WMV Small)

joshua.lyon

Jun 11, 2010
Fring is a good app for video calling + icq + msn ect.

but just to expand on this a bit more you can only call other voip users:confused:

sham google talk does not work in the uk.

how cool would it be to just PHONE a mobile or landline number for your apad.

anyway here a link to app judgment and a couple of weeks ago reviewed fring.

AppJudgment (WMV Small)
They reviewed it on a high-end Android device... one of the first devices Fring was released for. I've seen fring run video chatting on the Evo4G and the Droid Incredible... I'm interested in how well it works on the type of Android Tablet devices that are currently out. I ran fring on my Moonse E-7001 and while it technically connected the video call, it didn't work at all. I've also struggled with just using the VoIP features... so I would be interested in seeing an video/voice app that could actually work with the limited resources these devices have available.

KKen

Jan 12, 2011
Would anyone know if the Panimage has any chance of working with skype or are their other programs that will let you
connect to skype users for video and audio. I am about ready to dump this Panimage. Most of the basic programs I need
don't work on it.

Ken