[Solved] Samsung Tab 10.1 Charging Problem

jolyonh

Jul 29, 2014
Hi All,

I too am having a problem charging my tab.

I am running it off the OEM wall unit and when the tab is plugged in to it a white lightning bolt over the battery is displayed. Also, the screen reports that tab is charging.If I plug the tab into my PC's USB port the lightning bolt is replaced with a red cross and no charging message is displayed. Using the wall unit and despite the "charging (AC)..." message the unit does not charge.

Based on the UI I am assuming that the cable and the wall unit are functioning correctly which leaves me thinking it is the battery. Is that reasonable?

I have done a factory reset but that did not help. Any thoughts, helpful suggestions gratefully received.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

If you leave it on the PC for an extended period, say 4-5 hours, in the powered off state, does it indicate that is charged at all?

jolyonh

Jul 29, 2014
Thanks.

I have left the tab overnight turned off and plugged in to the wall unit. The screen displays a charging battery when you briefly press the on button i.e. not enough to turn the unit on, but the battery does not charge.

The curious thing is that I started on this a couple of days ago and the tab was completely out of battery. On turning it on the Samsung logo displayed briefly and then stopped. I can't remember what I plugged the tab into (I presume I used the wall unit) but it reached 22% battery. I unplugged it to take into work to continue the charge however since then the battery has been slowly falling and no amount of charging will increase it.

I am currently running down the unit so it is out of all battery so I can repeat.

Jeffrey

Super Moderator
Jul 27, 2014
I wouldn't run the unit down. I would charge it via your PC for 5 hours. This type of trickle charge could solve your issue.

jolyonh

Jul 29, 2014
OK, thanks.

I have noticed quite a few threads about a tab not charging. Has anyone actually replaced the battery? And did it solve the problem?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I don't think the problem is the battery but we/you won't know until you try that trickle charge Jeffrey and I mentioned. It's a process of elimination. It could be the charger, the cable or the port.

jolyonh

Jul 29, 2014
I trickle charged overnight. I used the wall unit but with the red cross showing, which it does sometimes. Getting the lightning bolt can require some fiddling. The unit charged to 12%, so that was an improvement.

What does this mean?

Jeffrey

Super Moderator
Jul 27, 2014
As Leeshor mentioned, it could be the cable, charger or the port. If you are fiddling to get the lightning bolt, my guess, it's the port.

jolyonh

Jul 29, 2014
Thanks for your help. I will source another charger and see if that makes a difference.

jolyonh

Jul 29, 2014
Oops I misread the message.

If it is the port then I presume I have to send it to Samsung. Looking online for a service centre you have to select your device and a tab is not an option that can be selected which is rather annoying.

At least the unit is under 2 years old so should be within warranty.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I'm fairly certain Samsung's warranty is only 1 year but have you isolated it to the port?

jolyonh

Jul 29, 2014
I've spoken to Samsung support and they say 2 years on the unit but there are exceptions for example 6 months on the battery and 1 year on the charger.

I don't know if I have isolated it to the port; but to be certain I would need to have an alterntive cable, plug and tablet. So I'm not sure how to proceed other than via Samsung.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The way to isolate it is to check the rate of charging when connected to a running PC. That would potentially eliminate the port as the problem, (and also the cable).

Glad to hear about the 2 year Warranty.

jolyonh

Jul 29, 2014
What sort of rate is OK and what rate suggests a proplem with the port and/or the cable?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
It may be slower than a properly working charger but try it and let us know.