Some questions re X5A (Android 2.1)

kloop

Feb 22, 2011
I purchased the X5A running Android 2.1 (model X6D) from a seller on eBay. Can anyone help re the following?

1) My PC doesn't recognise the tablet when connected via USB, using the cable provided. It did for a short time, but then stopped. The manual says "set USB to flash mode". How do I do this?

2) Is there anyway to connect the tablet to the internet via ethernet ? I have an ethernet-to-usb adaptor. Is it safe to try using this?

3) When I tried to access the net via McDonald's (UK) wifi ("The Cloud"), The Cloud won't give me access unless I enter an O2 mobile phone number. What's going on here? I thought The Cloud was a free-for-all wifi. Unfortunately, that McDonald's is the only place with public wifi around here. I have broadband in my house, but not wifi.

TIA for any advice.

kloop

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
you need to install the drivers onto your computer first and then make sure usb debugging is turned on. setting- applications- development- usb debugging.

I dont think that the ethernet will work but you can give it a try and let us know.

and the problem with the mcdonalds wifi sounds like its the way they have it set up and has nothing to do with your tablet

kloop

Feb 22, 2011
you need to install the drivers onto your computer first and then make sure usb debugging is turned on. setting- applications- development- usb debugging

Thanks for the reply. Can anyone provide a link to the correct driver for Windows 7 + Android 2.1 + X5A tablet? I've searched and not found anything that works for me.

billmell

Feb 14, 2011
I have an X5A and I found that I didn't need any drivers. If you press the Menu button and open up Notifications, just select USB connected (Internal) then Mount, and your tablet should be connected to your PC. It works for me, so I hope it is some help to you.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
I have an X5A and I found that I didn't need any drivers. If you press the Menu button and open up Notifications, just select USB connected (Internal) then Mount, and your tablet should be connected to your PC. It works for me, so I hope it is some help to you.

thats good to know thanks, but does that just make your device look like an external hard drive or does it show it as a android device?

kloop all i do is have adb installed and it finds most drivers in there but a little know secret about drivers is pda net, i have used that to get drivers for many devices many times i dont know if it will have the drivers for the x5a but it might be worth a shot

billmell

Feb 14, 2011
Mine comes up as Drive F and Drive G and I just open Drive G and it shows what is on the tablet. When I want to transfer anything I just use drag and drop.

kloop

Feb 22, 2011

Thanks, but do you mean the menu button on the X5A? The menu button on my X5A only opens the keyboard, nothing else. I can;t find any way in Androis 2.1 to open up "Notifications" with a "USB connected" option...

kloop

Feb 22, 2011
thats good to know thanks, but does that just make your device look like an external hard drive or does it show it as a android device?

kloop all i do is have adb installed and it finds most drivers in there but a little know secret about drivers is pda net, i have used that to get drivers for many devices many times i dont know if it will have the drivers for the x5a but it might be worth a shot

Thanks. I did have PDAnet and bda installed, in my attempts to solve it, but neither of them cured the problem. I still get a Windows 7 tray popup saying "USB device not recognised".

kloop

Feb 22, 2011
Mine comes up as Drive F and Drive G and I just open Drive G and it shows what is on the tablet. When I want to transfer anything I just use drag and drop.

Yes, that's the result I am hoping to end up with. Does the X5A come with a CD when new? Mine was pre-owned and it had no CD included.

billmell

Feb 14, 2011
If you just pull the notification bar down, after you have connected your tablet to the PC, you will see USB connected (internal), press this then Mount, and your tablet will be recognised by the PC. Click on either Drive F or Drive G and one of them will be the tablet and will open up in a window. No, my tablet did not come with a CD, and the manual was useless. I managed to get some help on this forum.

kloop

Feb 22, 2011
If you just pull the notification bar down, after you have connected your tablet to the PC, you will see USB connected (internal), press this then Mount, and your tablet will be recognised by the PC. Click on either Drive F or Drive G and one of them will be the tablet and will open up in a window. No, my tablet did not come with a CD, and the manual was useless. I managed to get some help on this forum.

Thanks, Billmell.
I discovered that pulldown menu today (purely by chance). It did indeed enable me to connect the tablet to my PC usefully, via USB cable.