Step-by-Step HOW TO upgrade from 2.1 -> 2.2 Froyo, WITH Google Market for 2.2

z0diac

Dec 26, 2010
Nothing worse than 2.1 and no Google Market. Makes the tablets useless (IMO). No installing to external SD. No YouTube, no... pretty much anything.

So here's the link on how to install your Archos unit running Android 2.1 -> Android 2.2, as well as install Google Market for Android 2.2.

Don't bother with the over-the-air update to 2.2 when you get the A icon showing at the top. It will download PART of the installation file, finish before getting to 100%, then tell you that the update file is not valid.

Download Android 2.2 here: firmware_archos_android_gen8.aos Download with PC, plug in USB to Archos and copy it over to root dir. Use "FILES" icon on Archos to select it and install.

Google Apps Market installation instructions:
Downloads - archos-apps-installer - Project Hosting on Google Code
(make sure you have a GMail account before beginning installation of Google Market)

THERE *IS* something else that needs to be done for market to work. See here:
gAppsInstaller - Froyo - xda-developers

Flash 10.1: DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL FLASH 10:
Press the Android Market Icon, press the search button and type Flash Player 10.1. Flash will appear in the results window. Press the icon and then the Install button at the bottom of the page. (Android 2.2 required - Google Market is different on 2.2 than on 2.1 and Flash results will not even show up on Market for 2.1)

For more info see this thread: Forum.ArchosFans.com - View topic - Step by Step Plan to Upgrade brand new Archos Devices to 2.2

Took me awhile to find all the right info that I've listed above. But I got my girlfriend's Archos 70 2.1 with AppsLib (Archos market) -> Archos 70 with Android 2.2 and Google Market (YouTube, Angry Birds, etc, etc, etc...) So I know the procedure works. Enjoy.

babynomad

Oct 10, 2010
z0diac
Thanks!! Muchly appreciated. Just received my Archos 70 for Xmas and will following your instructions.
Very well laid out. ++

karenmartin27

Dec 26, 2010
Hi z0diac,

I still can't get it to work, I have downloaded it to my pc saved it to a usb and transfered it to my archos 101 and it says "can't upgrade your devise using an AOS file located on an external device" what am I doing wrong???

Thanks

eklypse62

Dec 27, 2010
I got frustrated and stopped. I downloaded to the root and when I then tap the file on my archos 7 and it dosent do anything at all. I am not sure if I have done something wrong or not. Maybe its that I am unable to connect to the net. Im in temp housing and have no wireless which also makes this thing useless. Ugh!!!

babynomad

Oct 10, 2010
OK, followed z0diac instuctions above - very simple to follow.
Go to the Archos website/downloads/select your archos model and download the update file from his link, (firmware_archos_android_gen8.aos) to your COMPUTER. (it's about 80mb)
Then plug in the archos and transfer the file across.
Then I disconnected my archos, and ran the file. It tells you to make sure power cable is plugged in. Updated beautifully. I am now 2.2.1. Not a single problem.
\Thanks z0diac

This didn't work for me:
THERE *IS* something else that needs to be done for market to work. See here:
gAppsInstaller - Froyo - xda-developers
It keeps wanting to install google apps, then uninstall google apps. I was logged in to my gmail account.
But the archos market seems to everything on there anyway. Downloaded loads of apps. All working nicely.
Angry birds is stupid, simple, but for some reason Addictive...!!! LOL

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I got frustrated and stopped. I downloaded to the root and when I then tap the file on my archos 7 and it dosent do anything at all. I am not sure if I have done something wrong or not. Maybe its that I am unable to connect to the net. Im in temp housing and have no wireless which also makes this thing useless. Ugh!!!

This is for Archos Gen8 32/43/70/101 NOT Gen7 Archos 7HT or Archos 5

Also you can go directly to Archos Support and Downloads to get the latest Firmware for Gen 7 and Gen 8

Bonmon62

Dec 28, 2010
Hi, Can you only update to the Archos? What if I have a different unit? I was thinking about one I saw on a chinese website, anybody have an opinion about those? There are so many, I have a hard time choosing. I need some help..

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
Hi, Can you only update to the Archos? What if I have a different unit? I was thinking about one I saw on a chinese website, anybody have an opinion about those? There are so many, I have a hard time choosing. I need some help..

Each manufacturer/vendor has their own firmware and updates. This topic is specific to Archos. There will be specific topics for Augen, Samsung... updates. Each model has their own quirky issues.

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Guys i just received my Archos 70 - 250GB tablet are these steps above for the 250GB tablet too? Also i'm only reading this thread now and i already did the OTA upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 :( can i still do it or i cannot perform the steps above since i upgraded to ota 2.2?

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
@
Guys i just received my Archos 70 - 250GB tablet are these steps above for the 250GB tablet too? Also i'm only reading this thread now and i already did the OTA upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 :( can i still do it or i cannot perform the steps above since i upgraded to ota 2.2?

Yes. I assume u are talking about installing Market and Flash.

Also I had no issues updating to 2.2 via OTA. However, my tests should a performance hit with graphics performance. My review will be posted hopefully on Monday.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum App

movadoevo8

Dec 27, 2010
Yes i just literally did it and it worked just fine :) yaya now i have market and appslib.... i did not have to do the 2.2 update because the OTA 2.2 update worked on my tablet it completed just fine.... so i just performed the market steps and everything was just fine, now i have gmail sync and market thanks so much.. love these forums!!!!!!!!!!! now i can download my androidtablets.net forums app :p

Xeppuk2010

Dec 27, 2010
Excellent instructions. appslib wouldn't ever open up and so I installed Android Market - so good. Thanks