Steps to Get WiFi Connected If Having Problems

salfordjc

Jan 11, 2011
no one seems to refer to people like me who use their regular 4G phone as a tethered link...............l would like to know how to link a wired router to my phone or indeed if such a router is made........l went to Maplins here in the UK................that was a wasted journey..........he said buy a dongle.......urghh...........l have a 4 G phone on the Three network .l get about 22mb on a good day ,,l run 4 laptops , a nexus7 tablet , 2 phones and my home server............l want to connect a couple of wired ethernet printers to my system but no way of doing it ( before you ask ,,,no they have nt got wireless facility.............by the way l also have a Three MiFi dongle and 4 sim controlled dongles from the other ISPs ,,,,,,,,,l am sticking with Three as they have served me well........l have ditched my landline with Talk Talk after being with them and their previous companies since 1997 and the days of Fidonet.............the only downside is l would like to find a way of connecting my tethered Wi Fi hotspot to a wired router but cannot find any answers online or from the various techie help lines.......................can you help....................???? regards John

Ceasar84

Mar 8, 2015
Hi,
I am having problems turning ON my Wifi on my Tesla Tablet with Android OS. I am using this tablet for 4 months now and it was just fine. WiFi worked and it was ok. Before 5 hours I dropped tablet on table from my hand, like 15 cm fall and I turned screen on and it looked fine but I did not check WiFi then. After some time I noticed that I do not have WiFi symbol in top right corner. I tried to turn it on and it did not work. Simply in Settings Wi-Fi do not want to go on ON and even if it goes it does not find any WiFi. I tried Wi-Fi on my phone and it is working. One time it changes to ON and I have all Wi-Fi but not in range. I even forgot my Wi-Fi so I can find it again but it cannot find it any more. I tried reset Tablet, reset Router and reboot it as well via IP address in net browser.

Any ideas? Is it hardware issue with router after fall maybe?

Best regards,
Thanks in advance

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

My guess is that the WiFi antenna may have come loose inside the tablet. Not a really easy fix.

Alexandros94

Mar 24, 2015
Help me Leeshor-One... You're my only hope...
So, my tablet was working fine. But now it won't connect to the wifi. I go to settings and my Wifi is off. And it won't turn on. It just stays at "Turning Wi-Fi On..." With no changes whatsoever. What can I do?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
That's usually not a good sign. Have you at least restarted the tablet and tried somewhere other than your usual WiFi

dcnblues

Mar 31, 2015
This... is rather odd.

First off, I have an ASUS MeMo Pad 8, which normally works fairly well. However, today it started getting stuck at "Obtaining IP address", which would time out, and then it would try to reconnect.

Here's the odd bit.

I work in a Technical Operations Center, with 65 (!) WiFi gateways in close proximity (< 50 feet away, inside a video wall). These are all secured, so can't use any of them. Instead I set up a WiFi hotspot on my Galaxy S4. For the past two weeks, I've been able to ignore all the U-verse gateways in the vidwall, and attach to the phone.

The phone will report the tablet as connected, and list a 192.168.43.x IP address. The TABLET will show a 192.168.1.x address, which cannot be changed while "Obtaining IP address" is displayed. These are in the same range that the U-Verse gateway DHCP scopes use.

Turning the tablet off and then on again after 10 minutes resolved the problem... but, the question remains, is there a process within the Android OS that I can kill/restart to fix the issue rather than a full power-down? And would being so close to so many other Wifi sources perhaps confuse the system such that it's auth'ed to one (my phone) but getting DHCP lease from another?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

While that is odd, I suspect it has something to do with the shear number of hotspots. Have you tried inputting a fixed IP and DNS? Not certain it would work withe S4 but just a thought.

Be certain to remove (forget) other connections and stop it from scanning may help.

miniquiny

May 3, 2015
I often use the same Wifi address, but when i tried to connect today, it would only say saved instead of connected. I turned my tablet off and back on, and also unplugged the router for at least 35 seconds before plugging it back in. I'm sittingat the same desk as the router, and it still will not let my connect. What do?

miniquiny

May 3, 2015
I often use the same Wifi address, but when i tried to connect today, it would only say saved instead of connected. I turned my tablet off and back on, and also unplugged the router for at least 35 seconds before plugging it back in. I'm sittingat the same desk as the router, and it still will not let my connect. What do?
I tried using a different router in the area, but it wasn't strong enough and the internet stated that I "Am offline" even though the status says connected.

bundygil

May 20, 2015
I have a Itechie tablet IT-88 running Android 4.2.2 That I can't get to connect to my mobile wifi network. I have up to 8 other devices on the network at times without problems. It is not a landline access, but a mobile network using Huawei E5330Bs-2 mobile router.
I ask the tablet settings to forget the existing connection and connect using WPA2 PSK security and the network password. It connects and I get a saved, secured with WPA2 notification but no IP address notification. Looking in the advanced wifi menu I have a MAC address, but no IP address.
Obviously there is a setting needs to be changed but I don't know what.

What to do if you can't get connected to WIFI

There are several things you can do if you can't get connected to your WiFi hotpot or router.

1). Some channels work better than others. 1 and 6 are popular and work well for many people. If you can get connected at all, download WiFi Analyzer This app will give you an idea what channels may be available or over lapping with a nearby router.

2). Restart your router. This sounds simple but has been the solution for many people. Routers frequently accumulate garbage in the system that can be dumped by removing the power cord for at least 30 seconds then plugging it back in. After the router has made a connection, restart your tablet. You also should check to see if there is a firmware update for the router. That could make all the difference. In a few cases some people just replaced an really old router and ended up really happy they did.

3). As is the case with some other devices, Android tablets don't do a great job of telling you there is an error when inputting your password or passphrase. If your tablet says it is trying to connect for more than 10-15 seconds you may have mistyped the required information. It;s also possible it may just say "saved" and do nothing. Long press the connection and tell it to forget your credentials and try again. If your tablet at some point says saved but you are obviously not connected, you may have a poor signal from the router or you are too far away, or there is other interference or it can also happen at times if can't authenticate with the router correctly.

4). I have found that the most Android tablets don't work well or at all with WEP encryption on some routers, though some do work, so your may want to try useing WPA/WPA2 or equivalent. This is better security than WEP anyway. If you still can't connect but see a strong signal try no encryption long enough to determine that it is possible to connect and adjust accordingly.

5). In order to narrow the problem down, if all else is failing, try connecting to a public hotspot or a friend's router.

6) If 1-5 don't help, try a cold boot/start if your tablet has that function. At least turn it completely off and back on.

There are some things you can do to improve your WiFi. Cordless phones typically operate at 2.4 GHz, so do most of the tablets. Keep cordless phones as far away as possible from your WiFi router. Same applies to a microwave oven.

There are repeaters available. The best ones would be the same brand as the router but others work. ASUS has a portable router that can act as a repeater/extender for just about any router, model WL-330N3G. This mobile wireless router will also work with select 3G dongles.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

The mac address is part of the hardware in the tablet and has nothing to do with if you are connected or not. I suggest trying to see if imputing fixed IP and DNS info makes a difference. If the password you use has any special characters or spaces that can also be a problem.

bundygil

May 20, 2015
Only applies to landline wifi routers, not this mobile wifi router as far as I can ascertain. No mention of different channels in any of the menus,

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Only applies to landline wifi routers, not this mobile wifi router as far as I can ascertain. No mention of different channels in any of the menus,
Not certain what your comment re: channels means. Channels only apply to the router's WiFi. As far as landline routers, is it a home router or public hotspot.

p dysart

May 20, 2015
What to do if you can't get connected to WIFI

There are several things you can do if you can't get connected to your WiFi hotpot or router.

1). Some channels work better than others. 1 and 6 are popular and work well for many people. If you can get connected at all, download WiFi Analyzer This app will give you an idea what channels may be available or over lapping with a nearby router.

2). Restart your router. This sounds simple but has been the solution for many people. Routers frequently accumulate garbage in the system that can be dumped by removing the power cord for at least 30 seconds then plugging it back in. After the router has made a connection, restart your tablet. You also should check to see if there is a firmware update for the router. That could make all the difference. In a few cases some people just replaced an really old router and ended up really happy they did.

3). As is the case with some other devices, Android tablets don't do a great job of telling you there is an error when inputting your password or passphrase. If your tablet says it is trying to connect for more than 10-15 seconds you may have mistyped the required information. It;s also possible it may just say "saved" and do nothing. Long press the connection and tell it to forget your credentials and try again. If your tablet at some point says saved but you are obviously not connected, you may have a poor signal from the router or you are too far away, or there is other interference or it can also happen at times if can't authenticate with the router correctly.

4). I have found that the most Android tablets don't work well or at all with WEP encryption on some routers, though some do work, so your may want to try useing WPA/WPA2 or equivalent. This is better security than WEP anyway. If you still can't connect but see a strong signal try no encryption long enough to determine that it is possible to connect and adjust accordingly.

5). In order to narrow the problem down, if all else is failing, try connecting to a public hotspot or a friend's router.

6) If 1-5 don't help, try a cold boot/start if your tablet has that function. At least turn it completely off and back on.

There are some things you can do to improve your WiFi. Cordless phones typically operate at 2.4 GHz, so do most of the tablets. Keep cordless phones as far away as possible from your WiFi router. Same applies to a microwave oven.

There are repeaters available. The best ones would be the same brand as the router but others work. ASUS has a portable router that can act as a repeater/extender for just about any router, model WL-330N3G. This mobile wireless router will also work with select 3G dongles.