Stock 1.2 to Custom ROM for Viewsonic Gtablet

linuxboxsolution

Developer
May 17, 2011

1. Go to Settings--->About Tablet--->Firmware Version
    • Underneath Firmware Version it should state 1.2-4349 this indicates that you are on a 1.2 Branch Boot Loader and on 4349 Stock TNT ROM
  2. Download your Favorite 1.2 Based ROM
    • 1.2 Based ROM's would be Android Illuminate, Bottle of Smoke, Flashback, Vegantab, Brilliant Corners & Laurel at the Moment
  3. From your Favorite ROM download make sure you copy & paste the update.zip and if a 'recovery' folder is given this will also be copy & pasted into your /sdcard partition
  4. Reset Tablet to Factory Default
  5. Turn off tablet
  6. While Tablet is off Press and hold the 'Volume +' button & the 'Power' button at the same time until the initial you see the 1st Boot Logo load
    • You will know you are have done this correctly because in the upper left corner of your tablet it will say 'Booting Recovery Image'
  7. If you still have the Stock Recovery on your tablet your tablet will automatically begin installing the selected ROM.
    • Reminder at this moment in time as far as I'm aware only Android Illuminate and Bottle of Smoke can Upgrade with Stock Recovery & other ROMS need ClockWorkMod Recovery to Upgrade from Stock. I may be wrong but I wasn't able to get it to work. Haven't tried Flashback. In Stock Recovery the 'Power' button is what will be used to apply the option you have highlighted, & the 'Volume' button is to navigate up & down the menu.
    • If you already have ClockWorkMod Recovery as your Recovery Option then just scroll down to apply /sdcard/update.zip. ClockWorkMod uses the 'Volume' buttons to navigate up & down the options and the 'Home' key on the face of the tablet to apply the option selected.
  8. Once update.zip is down installing both Android Stock Recovery and ClockWorkMod Recovery will allow you to wipe your User/Data Parition. Please take head to this one instruction. This is necessary to upgrade or your tablet will end up in a boot loop and you will be frustrated for hours to come.
  9. Give tablet approximately 10 - 20 minutes to after the Initial Boot after Installing a new ROM before actually using the device. This is to allow the device to make sure it has installed all the prepared applications, build your dalvik.cache and setting up multiple other properties
  10. Enjoy your New Customized Viewsonic Gtablet!

Check it out the Original Article at the link below:

http://linuxboxsolution.com/...android-articles/1299-linux-box-solutions-get-started-android-illuminate

I will be Keeping the main discussion for this here in this thread. If you have any questions what so ever about this just let me know what they are and I'll do my best to help everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

BYUSinger84

Jun 27, 2011
Is is possible for your next release to have YouTube default to SD even on HD videos? That was they all play no matter what. Some other HC Roms I know do this, but I think yours is the most stable/fast that I've used so far and I don't want to have to switch back to one of those. What do you think?

linuxboxsolution

Developer
May 17, 2011
ON the next release I'm hoping to have the new kernel and honeycomb 3.1 being used as the foundation but we will see.