Stylus Usage Tips & Recomendations

mikespe

May 18, 2011
I want to be able to take hand written notes on the A500. I purchased WritePad Stylus app & it seems to be a great app. I also purchased 2 different stylus (styli?)...First the Bamboo Stylus that appeared to be highly recommended based on the reviews I read. The other was these cheap ones from eBay for $5.99. Based on using both for about 30 minutes just signing my name (figured that would be a good test)...the cheap ebay stylus was just as good as the $30 Bamboo! Now I will admit the Bamboo feels better to hold (has some weight & is a bit longer like a real pen) but it's not $25 better than the cheaper one!

First off, before I return the Bamboo to Best Buy, what are some usage advice for writing on the A500? Is there a better way to hole the stylus? Position on the screen (top, middle, bottom?)...speed at which to write? Also, my handwriting seems "sloppier" than with a real pen...LOL!...but my handwriting isn't all that pretty to begin with!

Next, what are your recommendations for a decent stylus? I know the "pens" are supposed to be better so if you know of one of those I could try please name it. The 2 I have both have the "squishy" rubber tips...I'm thinking that a harder rubber or cloth tip might feel more "natural". I heard the Targus stylus aren't that good...But I have read the the BoxWave stylus are pretty good but do they have the squishy tips?

Lastly, is there a better app than the WritePad Stylus? I also tried Handwrite Free and EverNote with Stitch...

Thanks for your help everyone!

mikespe

May 18, 2011
With over 214 views someone HAS to have some advice or recommendations for a stylus?

Thanks again!

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I have one with "squishy" rubber tip too. So far all apps I have tried doesn't seem to detect "pressure": Skitch, Quill, LayerDraw, SketchBookX, etc. Too bad...

Last edited:

mikespe

May 18, 2011
I found the iFaraday cloth-tip stylus and just ordered the RX II model...Based on reviews from several sights they say it is an AMAZING stylus & the developer is very responsive to users comments & ideas. I'm hoping to get it by Monday...

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
With over 214 views someone HAS to have some advice or recommendations for a stylus?

Hi Mike, sometimes you just have to be patient and wait a while for an answer, as you just found out. It's not that you were being ignored, it was probably that none of the members who viewed your thread could answer any/all of your questions. I've noticed many people won't reply unless they can answer all of the questions, so asking multiple questions in a single thread is generally not a good idea. Also, we have more than 30 non-members/lurkers on the forum for every member. That means only 6 of the viewers could reply. Of those, it's easy to believe none of them uses a stylus and therefore didn't know the answers. I didn't, but that's not so unusual.:eek: Glad you finally got your answers.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011

Thanks again!
I use the squishy rubber one for the iPad on my A500. no pressure sensitivity. was going to try the bamboo stylus but it appear not to good enough.

TheQCC

Dec 16, 2011
The tip on my stylus is 3mm and is tapered.
Remember, this is a capacitive tablet and stylus and there must be sufficient area to create the contact.

mikespe

May 18, 2011
Well so far I've sent the creator of the iFaraday stylus TWO emails and I have YET to receive a response...I'm beginning to wonder about the quality of the stylus if he won't even reply...

kawasaki9r

Sep 10, 2013
I want to be able to take hand written notes on the A500. I purchased WritePad Stylus app & it seems to be a great app. I also purchased 2 different stylus (styli?)...First the Bamboo Stylus that appeared to be highly recommended based on the reviews I read. The other was these cheap ones from eBay for $5.99. Based on using both for about 30 minutes just signing my name (figured that would be a good test)...the cheap ebay stylus was just as good as the $30 Bamboo! Now I will admit the Bamboo feels better to hold (has some weight & is a bit longer like a real pen) but it's not $25 better than the cheaper one!

Thanks for your help everyone!

I have two that I use regularly. Check out my reviews.
Spektrum which was $5 at Five Below (I believe similar to a Wacom Bamboo):
Also the Motorola Xoom Active Stylus:

Last edited by a moderator: