Flytouch review from a noob

chris_j11

Nov 18, 2010
another update: (over a month)
i think i got my money's worth -
i only paid ~$160
wife/2-yrs old son loved playing w/it everyday - angry bird/blow up/3d bowling
resistive screen - originally hated it, but since my wife and son is used to it now - not a big deal any more
10" screen for movies (placed on seat headrest) - son love watching cartoons while going for a drive
gps - worked (co-pilot), have not taken advantage yet, but knowing it's working and it's there is good enough till i need it
hdmi - worked, have not taken advantage yet
camera - still fuzzy (green artifacts), not a big deal anymore and not even looking for it
recorder - worked, but have no plan for it, maybe later
battery - 4+ hours, long enough
internet - have enough pc in the house that i don't need it, but worked
market/gmail/android os - not working at the moment, getting alot of "android stuff not working" pop up since using startup auditor and advance task killer, not a big deal - so many ways to get app installed from sd card
Android - worth learning about it

right now - stuck in start (green) screen, will order usb male/male to re-flashed
heard using the sd card does not worked

once i get my fly2 re-flashed and working again, back to enjoying it again.
initially, saw a lot of fault on it and even thought of selling it. then i decided to be a little patience and look at what worked and try to figure out how to take advantage of it. this mindset will not worked for everyone, but for me - if my wife and son love playing with it everyday and the unit hold up (my son's only 2-yrs old) for over a year-all worth it

cruxader

Oct 15, 2010
Well, I tried to get ad hoc wifi to work on my FT2 and things went downhill fast.
First, I have to manually turn on the wifi.
Now, it looks like the wifi has quit completely.
All attempts to turn on the wifi results in "Unable to turn on wifi"
Checked that my friend's set is still OK but then, I expect he won't be doing anything adventurous with it.
Losing the wifi is a big blow because alot of Android apps expect an internet connection!

:(

Dec 31, 2010
hi! had my flytouch2 tablet yesterday and im planning to use its gps function, does the copilot gps software works in the philippine setting as well? thanks!
by the way, im having a good response with this tablet.

cruxader

Oct 15, 2010
I am happy to say that I got my wifi back!
Now I can really enjoy my FT2 again.

The only fly in the ointment is that Flash 10.1 does not work....
If there is anyway to get it, I would gladly forgo Android 2.2
BTW, the Toshiba Folio which shipped with Android 2.2 could not run Flash 10 until recently.
So having 2.2 OS is not a sure thing.

My short wish list:
1. Flash 10.1 to make it a better substitute for UMPCs
2. Adhoc wifi would be great (to allow real mobility).
3. Longer battery life! I need a tablet that could last entire workday with intermittent usage.
4. Working Skype would be a godsend.

One tip I discovered - if you do a long press on the Home button, it pops up a simple task manager with icons of running tasks that you can touch to bring to the foreground! That has ended my brief flirtation with taskpanel which would not start on bootup...

Is this feature common to all FT2?
I ask because my FT2 is a bit weird in that it does not report any battery use info.

cruxader

Oct 15, 2010
Alas, my FT2 got stuck on the dreaded "Green Screen of Death" this morning.
After I did the following:
1. I ran Applanet market - but found nothing!
2. I ran the test_gps apps pre-installed on the FT2.
It showed some number, I took it out/indoors with no apparent response.
Later I noticed what appears to be a GPS signal icon on my task bar.
By then the FT2 has hung.

Upon pressing the reset button & subsequent power button, I am now stuck at the dreaded "Green Screen of Death"!

Argh!

Anybody successfully recovered from it yet?

cruxader

Oct 15, 2010
Googling around, I solved my dreaded "Green Screen of Death" with the following:
Hold Home & Power until the 'triangle' recovery menu comes up.
I first selected 'clear cache' but that did nothing.
The second time around, I selected "factory reset data' and yes, it recovered, though I have to restore all my apps and adat again 1 by 1...

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
Just a thought, but can't you save each app on your home computer of laptop to facilitate the replacement process? I have seen several people in different threads talking about how they had to get back on the internet and download everything again because they had similar issues. I don't have my tablet yet (thanks alibaba for screwing that up) but it would probably make sense to do that if you could.

itci

Jan 2, 2011
hi. i just bought the new epad/wowpad and the reason for that was for my education so want to know if i can use microsoft office word or word documents or if there are some kind of word app so my teacher can read the document on her own pc^_^

DanDare

Dec 31, 2010

cruxader

Oct 15, 2010
Just a thought, but can't you save each app on your home computer of laptop to facilitate the replacement process? I have seen several people in different threads talking about how they had to get back on the internet and download everything again because they had similar issues. I don't have my tablet yet (thanks alibaba for screwing that up) but it would probably make sense to do that if you could.

From Google market, get:
1. Titanium Backup - backup your apps & associated data in compressed form.
2. Astro (File manager) has backup options to backup installed apps (only) into apk files.

Though you can choose batch restore on both, AFAIK, you still have to manually click the INSTALL button on each app...

throwapot

Jan 23, 2011
how does one get the hdmi to work on the flytouch 2 ver 1561 not getting any thing on tv got the mini to hdmi cable no idea why its not working

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
From Google market, get:
1. Titanium Backup - backup your apps & associated data in compressed form.
2. Astro (File manager) has backup options to backup installed apps (only) into apk files.

Though you can choose batch restore on both, AFAIK, you still have to manually click the INSTALL button on each app...
Thanks, I have finally gotten a Flytouch 3 on order and this will definitely come in handy very soon after I get home to play with it.

Appychappy

Jan 24, 2011
You mentioned using your fingernail to swipe the screen. I presume you have found the plastic pointer in the top left hand corner by now.
There are no office apps yet. A notepad would do. Iv'e never seen a battery screen only the status up top.
Good little unit just the same. I don't expect it to be a fully fledged computer that would be overkill.

dwcunpluged

Dec 25, 2010
You mentioned using your fingernail to swipe the screen. I presume you have found the plastic pointer in the top left hand corner by now...
It is actually funny you mention this because when I ordered my tablet the ad said it came with a stylus. I thought, okay, that is great, never know when you might need one of those. Then I ordered a case (without the keyboard) and found out after I placed the order that it comes with a stylus too! They are handing those things out like candy, which is good because I will most likely lose my fair share.