Sylvania Synet 7LP 7" Android OS 2.1 MID 1GHZ/HDMI Tablet

Nlaak

Nov 25, 2010
Ok. Got mine last night. First thing i REALLY noticed was the screen input. very sluggish but im used to my HTC Incredible and for $139 i'll live with it. Here are my Initial thoughts...

1) Screen does auto change. But messes up the widgets. This means you have to keep resetting them.
2) Detected my WiFi network right off the bat. No problems.
3) When you go into a fullscreen APP (YouTube, Media Center, ect) there's no way to get back to the home screen unless you mess around with the POWER button (quick press) to get your top bar back.
4) Email setup worked great.
5) No Market. Hardly any apps at all.
6) Cant sleep. You have to hold down power button for like 4 secs then only option you have is Power Off. Means full reboot every time.

Definately needs to be Rooted and upgraded. I have never done this, but this is a good device to learn from. I am interested in getting 2.2 froyo on here. All help will be welcomed dearly and I'll post all info and progress as I move through the process.

Update #1:
-USB Ports are DOA. Has 2, 1 labeled HOST and 1 labeled OTG. Both dead.
-Headphone port is either DOA or Mono. I only have stereo headset and don't even get anything in 1 ear. Unplugged it works from speaker.
- Must disable Auto Set for Date/Time and do it manually yourself.
- Battery life (normal usage) is 3 hrs.
- Model Number: SYNET7LP
- Firmware Version: DG2.01 (After Update)
- Kernal Version: 2.6.32.9 warits@msuG #13

Think that kills it for me. No USB's or Headphone port is a good buzz killer.

So, TipsStir. Should this unit be returned or can I somehow ROOT/Upgrade without USB ports?

Update #2:
- HOST USB Is working after all. Still No Headphone out.
- Used Universal AndROOT. Worked as stated. Failed first time, Worked second time.

Last edited:

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
Ok. Got mine last night. First thing i REALLY noticed was the screen input. very sluggish but im used to my HTC Incredible and for $139 i'll live with it. Here are my Initial thoughts...

1) Screen does auto change. But messes up the widgets. This means you have to keep resetting them.
2) Detected my WiFi network right off the bat. No problems.
3) When you go into a fullscreen APP (YouTube, Media Center, ect) there's no way to get back to the home screen unless you mess around with the POWER button (quick press) to get your top bar back.
4) Email setup worked great.
5) No Market. Hardly any apps at all.
6) Cant sleep. You have to hold down power button for like 4 secs then only option you have is Power Off. Means full reboot every time.

Definately needs to be Rooted and upgraded. I have never done this, but this is a good device to learn from. I am interested in getting 2.2 froyo on here. All help will be welcomed dearly and I'll post all info and progress as I move through the process.

Update:
-USB Ports are DOA. Has 2, 1 labeled HOST and 1 labeled OTG. Both dead.
-Headphone port is either DOA or Mono. I only have stereo headset and don't even get anything in 1 ear. Unplugged it works from speaker.
- Must disable Auto Set for Date/Time and do it manually yourself.
- Battery life (normal usage) is 3 hrs.
- Model Number: SYNET7LP
- Firmware Version: DG2.01 (After Update)
- Kernal Version: 2.6.32.9 warits@msuG #13

Think that kills it for me. No USB's or Headphone port is a good buzz killer.

So, TipsStir. Should this unit be returned or can I somehow ROOT/Upgrade without USB ports?

Interesting so you got a new firmware.
1) are you saying that the accelerometer works? you can rotate the screen and it rotates with you without having to press the rotate button? I was under the impression this was a hardware limitation.
2) USB POrts. First of all the one labeld host is only for usb sticks, should work fine. The other is still dead even after the update? BUMMER.
3) HOWEVER you do not need usb to root. I had root working and adb over wifi.

try searching all my info for rooting is here and over at slatedroid. Though I doubt you will see too many upgrades for this coming from the dev community. There are too many cool new tablets out.

Real bummer that the FW update did not fix more stuff. Still this is a great little table for the price.

Nlaak

Nov 25, 2010
Yes. I did update. But it does not really detect it. If I go back and do system update again it will see theres an update and update to the same thing over and over.

Yes. My screen DOES rotate on its own.

As to USB's. I tried straight to computer. No go. Tried 8GB Stick with included adapter dongle. No Go. Both ports. (After Update)

As to keeping and toying with it for ROOT/Updates....You got market working? Installed anything...like...say...Angry Birds yet? LOL Im thinking that app wont like the resistive screen input.

So gottahavit. Think i should keep and screw around with it or just return and wait for my a101?

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
Yes. I did update. But it does not really detect it. If I go back and do system update again it will see theres an update and update to the same thing over and over.

Yes. My screen DOES rotate on its own.

As to USB's. I tried straight to computer. No go. Tried 8GB Stick with included adapter dongle. No Go. Both ports. (After Update)

As to keeping and toying with it for ROOT/Updates....You got market working? Installed anything...like...say...Angry Birds yet? LOL Im thinking that app wont like the resistive screen input.

So gottahavit. Think i should keep and screw around with it or just return and wait for my a101?

as for FW, yes it will do nothing but redownload IF you have the latest, which apparently you do. Mine came with 1.01, yours 2.01.
I would make sure that your usb host works, mine worked fine. make sure your usb stick is formated fat32 or it will not detect. If it doesn't work then I would return as defective and get another.
Yes I had market working, again I have a post around here on how to get it working but you need an emulator to get an android ID. I never got the non-ugly hack working.
I found the touch screen very responsive and easy to use.

OH and Angry birds work VERY well on this device!!

bigwooly

Nov 24, 2010
well after much debate i couldn't resist this tablet for 139. I would love to get angry birds working but this is my 1st android device and my lg optimus S for my wife is my second they're only separate by hours in time of ownership...... and i want to go nuts w/both of them. I would like to get her phone rooted and be able to do the mobile hotspot feature w/out having to pay sprint $29.99 a month. and then of course i'd love to get market working on this tablet but i'm lost on the wifi adb piece. My does auto rotate on it's on w/ no button press and it's actually fairly responsive in doing so. (link to your guide just fix the "www . s") www . slatedroid.com/showthread.php?t=11133&p=90801&viewfull=1#post90801

I've also been brave enough to take the back cover off and take a peak at the battery area. It looks like w/ a little planning you could mod this device for a high capacity battery. i haven't been a member on the forums long enough to post links or i would link y'all the picture of under the hood.

I'm thinking w/out having to re-solder to the main board i could add a 2 pin male connector to the side on the board and then when i have batteries plus or who ever make the battery have them solder up the female connection on the battery. if someone wants to see under the back cover and the battery area let me know i can e-mail you the pics. it wasn't difficult to get the cover off just take your time and work each clip individually.

please excuse any and all typos i've been awake for going on 34 hours now w/all the black friday shopping

Last edited:

Nlaak

Nov 25, 2010
Hmmm. OK. Let me checkout it out with more keyboards, mouse's (mice) LOL ect. if the USB is dead its going back :( Guess i can live with no headphone out.

Nlaak

Nov 25, 2010
well after much debate i couldn't resist this tablet for 139. I would love to get angry birds working but this is my 1st android device and my lg optimus S for my wife is my second they're only separate by hours in time of ownership...... and i want to go nuts w/both of them. I would like to get her phone rooted and be able to do the mobile hotspot feature w/out having to pay sprint $29.99 a month. and then of course i'd love to get market working on this tablet but i'm lost on the wifi adb piece. My does auto rotate on it's on w/ no button press and it's actually fairly responsive in doing so. (link to your guide just fix the "www . s") www . slatedroid.com/showthread.php?t=11133&p=90801&viewfull=1#post90801

I've also been brave enough to take the back cover off and take a peak at the battery area. It looks like w/ a little planning you could mod this device for a high capacity battery. i haven't been a member on the forums long enough to post links or i would link y'all the picture of under the hood.

I'm thinking w/out having to re-solder to the main board i could add a 2 pin male connector to the side on the board and then when i have batteries plus or who ever make the battery have them solder up the female connection on the battery. if someone wants to see under the back cover and the battery area let me know i can e-mail you the pics. it wasn't difficult to get the cover off just take your time and work each clip individually.

please excuse any and all typos i've been awake for going on 34 hours now w/all the black friday shopping

TIS Ok. I kant tipe wordz win im sober and full knight of sleepe.

Nlaak

Nov 25, 2010
OK. So i guess my HOST USB port works. just not Mass Storage. I got mouse and USB Drive working with it. Headphone jack still not working. These good docs here on how to root. but my linux is rusty and my android OS is novice. so llets skip the ROOTing and Moding Sylvania for dummies and get straight to ROOTing and Adding MODing for Absolute morons. I dont understand GScript and some of the other terminology. How about a guide my 3 year old daughter can do?

Nlaak

Nov 25, 2010
Is there nothing I can do without an SD card? I don't see a system update option, anywhere.

Go to SETTINGS then System update. Believe its second from the bottom. It WILL update. But if you go back again and again it will install the same update. As to having a MicroSD card. Yeah you should have that or at the very least use a Thumb drive with the included Dongle.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Still not seeing it. This is the bottom end of my settings menu:
IMG_20101126_195013.jpg

I'm going to grab a MicroSD now. Maybe that will help?

Also, does it need to calibrate upon every boot?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Okay it is saving nothing after it powers down and back up again. It is charging no further than 30%. I downloaded Universal AndRoot and it says I need to clear up space to view it. I have a 2gb MicroSD and this thing is supposed to have 2gigs internal. Lastly, I've got no option to update.

What do I do?

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
Okay it is saving nothing after it powers down and back up again. It is charging no further than 30%. I downloaded Universal AndRoot and it says I need to clear up space to view it. I have a 2gb MicroSD and this thing is supposed to have 2gigs internal. Lastly, I've got no option to update.

What do I do?

if it's whining about space then odds are good the apk failed to download correctly, install it again or you don't have an sd card in. there is not much you can do with most of these android devices without an sd card. the internal 2gig is only for apps.

gottahavit

Nov 13, 2010
OK. So i guess my HOST USB port works. just not Mass Storage. I got mouse and USB Drive working with it. Headphone jack still not working. These good docs here on how to root. but my linux is rusty and my android OS is novice. so llets skip the ROOTing and Moding Sylvania for dummies and get straight to ROOTing and Adding MODing for Absolute morons. I dont understand GScript and some of the other terminology. How about a guide my 3 year old daughter can do?

well the gscripts I have uploaded for adb wifi are pretty safe and don't need editing. You do need adb working on your pc however, there are MANY instructions for that all over. But to be honest I'm not sure what you are going to use adb for at the moment unless you plan to try to install the market place. If that's what you want to do then you also need a working 1.6 emulator on your pc. again I posted the market zip, but getting the android id from an emulator you will need to search for.