Sytab10st recovery

dazoe

Nov 26, 2011
Steps to recover a 'bricked' SYTAB10ST...

What you need...
1. IUW (InfoTMIC Update Writer?) tool and otg driver. (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51092610/iuw1.2.zip)
2. An ius image file. (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51092610/SYTABEX7-2_Android_395266.ius)
3. XP operating system. (VirtualBox on Windows 7 does NOT work)

Procedure..
1. Push reset. (This is just to make sure it's powered off.)
2. Plug in a MALE to MALE usb cable using the top usb port on the tablet.
3. Press and hold menu, then press power.
4. Continue holding menu for 3 seconds.
5. When asked for the driver use the otg driver.
6. Select 'Link USB'
7. Choose the ius file
8. Click burn
9. Drink coffee.

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Im having trouble figuring out how to get the sytab10st to do a 'recovery' burn. I tried using IUW 1.2 first with usb link.
1. Push reset.
2. Press and hold power and menu. This seems to put it in to 'firmware download' mode.
3. Plug in male to male usb. (Install driver)
4. Click burn.
Doing these steps it causes the tablet to just reboot right away.

Then I tried the sd card method. That failed also. So I think it may require a newer version of IUW or a different program all together.

The 'three finger' factory reset also fails.

Settings.apk installs the update using a cmdline tool called infoup it will accept a reboot to recover mode ie 'infoup reboot recover3' will wipe the device and 'infoup reboot recover5' does the same. 1,2,4,6 seems to do nothing at all. There is also a 'infoup inject <system image>' option I have not tried yet for fear of bricking the device.
With the proper InfoTMIC Update Wrap (.ius) file the 'infoup inject <system image>' will properly unpack and burn the firmware. Here are a couple of past posts discussing using this method.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...tom-sylvania-rom-development-3.html#post92391 Post #21

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-sylvania-rom-development-10.html#post106179 Post #94

Im open to suggestions on what to try.

Sent from my DROID3 using Android Tablet Forum
Finding the magic key combination is all trial and error. Here are a few approaches to other 10" InfoTMIC powered tablets.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/infotmic-based/25184-infotmic-pad-problem.html#post143059

Last edited:

lorenii

May 2, 2011
I just had to do a recovery on my 10MT and I just downloaded the IUS from DG. I don't know what the difference is between the two, but there has to be something.

Try this addy: h t t p: //222.73.93.45/sysup.php?data=X.X.X.X&vcode=0
Insert your data #'s where the X's are. Mine were 11.6.3.1&vcode=10
What ever the vcode is (it can be 0) it will give you the latest version ius.

Last edited:

dazoe

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah that's how I got the ius file I used. I have tried quite a few different key combos and haven't got anywhere. So far I have just found that menu during power on seems to put it into the usb connect mode. I can connect to the computer and the driver for iuw installs fine. But as I mentioned before when you try to burn it reboot the tablet right away. Im anxious to get this figured out so I can start doing some serious modifications to this thing.

Sent from my DROID3 using Android Tablet Forum

dazoe

Nov 26, 2011
So here's what i've found so far.

MENU -------- Activates the USB(SEC SOC Test Board) for IUW but doesn't work.
VOL DOWN --- ??? Stays at the infoTMIC screen but doesn't do anything else. no usb

Looking at the "updater" image there are 4 init scripts. There is one that seems 'default' it starts up the eth0 with ip 192.168.0.20 tried pinging it when starting with either of these modes. both fail.

Another strange thing... after messing around for a bit then decide to boot up into android, i'll have apps force closing like crazy. mostly acore. and will have to reinstall using the update system in the settings.

dazoe

Nov 26, 2011
Success!!!
My failure was trying to use the iuw tool in a virtualbox. it fails. Will add instructions to original post.

jimcfs

Nov 30, 2011
Steps to recover a 'bricked' SYTAB10ST...

What you need...
1. IUW (InfoTMIC Update Writer?) tool and otg driver. (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51092610/iuw1.2.zip)
2. An ius image file. (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51092610/SYTABEX7-2_Android_395266.ius)
3. XP operating system. (VirtualBox on Windows 7 does NOT work)

Procedure..
1. Push reset. (This is just to make sure it's powered off.)
2. Plug in a MALE to MALE usb cable using the top usb port on the tablet.
3. Press and hold menu, then press power.
4. Continue holding menu for 3 seconds.
5. When asked for the driver use the otg driver.

Can't get step 5 to work. How do I get the driver to be recognized? Using both XP on one laptop and Win 7 64 on the other... it gives me the "unknown device" error and won't install driver.

dazoe

Nov 26, 2011
Why kind of cable are you using. I needs to be a straight through male to male usb. I'm not sure if you can buy them like that. I made mine on my own. I cut up two cheep usb cables and matched up the colors and taped with electrical tape.

jimcfs

Nov 30, 2011
Why kind of cable are you using. I needs to be a straight through male to male usb. I'm not sure if you can buy them like that. I made mine on my own. I cut up two cheep usb cables and matched up the colors and taped with electrical tape.

From a connector kit that I know works from past use. Male-Female USB with a male-male connector into the female making a male-male cable. Cable should be good.

TechVendetta

Developer
Aug 17, 2011
Id suggest flashing my cwr too. It should be compatible.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Tablet Forum

dazoe

Nov 26, 2011
jimcfs, Did the "Found New Hardware Wizard" popup when you plugged it in? It is does come up then follow...
Choose 'No, not this time'
Click 'Next'
Choose 'Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)'
Click 'Next'
Deselect 'Search removable media...'
Select 'Include this location in the search'
Click 'browse' and select the 'otg_folder'
Click 'Next'
Click 'Continue Anyway' if the warning comes up
Then Click 'Finish'

If the "Found New Hardware Wizard" doesn't come up then there may be a problem with your cable or the device may have chosen a different driver.
Run the IUW tool and check if the little box is green if it is then it should be good to go.
If it used another driver you'll have to uninstall it.

Hope this helps...

jimcfs

Nov 30, 2011
jimcfs, Did the "Found New Hardware Wizard" popup when you plugged it in? It is does come up then follow...
Choose 'No, not this time'
Click 'Next'
Choose 'Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)'
Click 'Next'
Deselect 'Search removable media...'
Select 'Include this location in the search'
Click 'browse' and select the 'otg_folder'
Click 'Next'
Click 'Continue Anyway' if the warning comes up
Then Click 'Finish'

If the "Found New Hardware Wizard" doesn't come up then there may be a problem with your cable or the device may have chosen a different driver.
Run the IUW tool and check if the little box is green if it is then it should be good to go.
If it used another driver you'll have to uninstall it.

Hope this helps...

I don't get the "Found New Hardware" box. All I get on both laptops are that it can't find the driver... but when I click on the bubble that pops up, and investigate further, it says driver for "unknown device" is ok and doesn't need updating.

Have also Run the IUW tool and don't get the little green box.

I wish this was flashable like the Eken's are via mounting from the microSD on boot. Would be so much easier. LOL

dazoe

Nov 26, 2011
Yeah i haven't got the sd on boot to work yet. In the device manager try to find the device and update the driver that way.
Control panel -> system -> hardware tab

TechVendetta - I tried your CWR won't work, did 'reboot recovery', i got the infoTMIC screen then blank then infoTMIC screen again then loaded as normal boot.

jimcfs

Nov 30, 2011
Yeah i haven't got the sd on boot to work yet. In the device manager try to find the device and update the driver that way.
Control panel -> system -> hardware tab

Found a different cable... same results. Also, have already tried going through Control Panel -> System -> hardware with no results.

TechVendetta

Developer
Aug 17, 2011
Are you sure you flashed it to the recovery ramdisk? If so send me a pm and ill see if I can add support for it.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Tablet Forum