T mobile seems have blocked data for my S7 for no reason.....

bobko

Jan 11, 2011
I used the device as it was ment to be used as a phone and tab. Tmo says one or the other they are blocking it as a smart phone.

Joshua

Nov 28, 2010
I went to battle for you guys too, but it seems Tmobile isnt budging on this. I explained that the device dosent even have our 3g bands (1700/2100mhz). I put in remedy trouble tickets to try and have the device re-classified to no avail. I really cannot agree with TMO on this one.

duceirae

Dec 14, 2010
yeah this is total bull ****.. its a smart phone its clear it is.. it just has a large screen.. I would love to hear there definition of what a smart phone is.. I bet you anything that it falls under thous standards and I would bet this might fall under some law. of course im not a lawyer nor am I knowledgeable in this area. Im sure someone might know. But im also sure that this is not the only device that is also a phone and tablet.

was wondering if anyone had emailed the CEO yet and if they have heard anything?

class action lawsuit? not sure what we would base it on but if we do have anything on them please sign me up...

foobaz123

Nov 22, 2010
It's great that someone from TM actually responded. That reflects well on them. I know some people are going to go the 2 SIM card route, and of course that's fine if they're willing to pay the extra monthly fees. For me, I'm just frustrated that I can't use my device in the manner for which it was designed. I already have a smartphone with WiFi tethering, so I was only going to use the TM account as a backup. If they don't resolve the problem, I'll just drop TM altogether and tether off my Verizon Pre. TM loses the business. I really don't lose much.

That's pretty much how I feel about it. My tmobile SIM was to be used as a third backup internet connection behind regular wifi and tethering. I went with them in the first place because from what I understand AT&Ts prepaid data rates are atrocious. The truly sad thing is that there are a few people at work thinking about doing the same thing I've done and now I'll have to tell them not to. And they'll tell their friends... more money lost all around.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
I am really shocked and horified that T-mob have taken this attitude. It's small minded, petty and in a quickly advancing technological age quite frankly the response of a Neanderthol brain!
b26d1628-708d-4787.jpg

This type of thinking is purely backward at a time when I would imagine the T-mob would like to be seen as progressive and innovative.
It's going to hurt me some when I next come over.
Has anyone thought that their action in turning off data could be construed as breach of contract?
A class action would be interesting!

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
yeah this is total bull ****.. its a smart phone its clear it is.. it just has a large screen.. I would love to hear there definition of what a smart phone is.. I bet you anything that it falls under thous standards and I would bet this might fall under some law. of course im not a lawyer nor am I knowledgeable in this area. Im sure someone might know. But im also sure that this is not the only device that is also a phone and tablet.

was wondering if anyone had emailed the CEO yet and if they have heard anything?

class action lawsuit? not sure what we would base it on but if we do have anything on them please sign me up...

It would interesting to know if they would support the Dell Streak, and if so, what is the difference (to them) between that and the S7 in terms of Googles's smartphone reference platform. I have not seen anything about that reference platform indicating that "size matters".

mochas7

Jan 11, 2011
I went to battle for you guys too, but it seems Tmobile isnt budging on this. I explained that the device dosent even have our 3g bands (1700/2100mhz). I put in remedy trouble tickets to try and have the device re-classified to no avail. I really cannot agree with TMO on this one.

This is the best point to be made on this topic -- The Huawei Ideos S7 device does NOT have 3G or 4G capabilities on T-Mobile in the USA.

The only available data option was EDGE, which is brutally slow, but we were willing to pay $1.49 a day for this very slow connection when needed.

It makes no sense for them to think that we would pay fast 3G or faster 4G prices for slow EDGE service.

Last edited:

fachex

Nov 10, 2010
Have you guys consider Simple Mobile? They use the Tmo network and it is kind of like Metro plans. No contract, unlimited everything for cheap... anyways, I have their cheap plan and I also have Clear 4G hotspot that works great in Orlando, FL (yeah for Mickey!), so I am connected via WiFi to my hotspot most of the time enjoying 4G....Also, my internet is working on Simple (edge) but I read in endgaget.com that tmo did something to their data indeed and they are putting some kind of cap to their data...whatever it is they are messing up with their network and I believe that is why some of you are suffering..
Here is the endgaget link
T-Mobile UK cuts 'fair use' allowance to 500MB, sends you home to watch online video -- Engadget

stephndudb

Jan 5, 2011
I've been trying to figure out TM's financial motivation here. I suspect most people use their smartphones more for voice and texting than for data. Therefore, maximum profits come from selling voice plans with a little data tacked on. Now TM looks at the S7 and says, "no-one's going to carry this thing around and rack up text charges, they're going to use it mostly for data." So, they force a data plan on it - which nets them more per MB than the voice plans did.

This would be a logical decision EXCEPT as someone else pointed out: we can only access 2G data! Who wants to pay full price for a data plan with such a large limitation?

Legally, they're probably entitled to define devices any way they want. I do think there might be an issue with them not refunding or crediting existing voice accounts that were affected by this change, though. Any lawyers in the house?

Jan 11, 2011
i know someone who was able to return the s7 and get a full refund from best buy. i would do the same except that i can't seem to locate my receipt. RETURN THE DAMN **** AND LET BEST BUY PUT PRESSURE ON BOTH HAUWEI & T-MOBILE. then use the money to buy something else and from someone who will not hoodwink us!!

duceirae

Dec 14, 2010
well if anyone wants to try to orginize some kind of class action lawsuit please let me know I would like to be a part of this...

rokky

Oct 22, 2010
I've been trying to figure out TM's financial motivation here. I suspect most people use their smartphones more for voice and texting than for data. Therefore, maximum profits come from selling voice plans with a little data tacked on. Now TM looks at the S7 and says, "no-one's going to carry this thing around and rack up text charges, they're going to use it mostly for data." So, they force a data plan on it - which nets them more per MB than the voice plans did.

This would be a logical decision EXCEPT as someone else pointed out: we can only access 2G data! Who wants to pay full price for a data plan with such a large limitation?

Legally, they're probably entitled to define devices any way they want. I do think there might be an issue with them not refunding or crediting existing voice accounts that were affected by this change, though. Any lawyers in the house?

It appears they do not want any competition for the Dell Streak 7 they are about to launch:
T-Mobile intros Dell Streak 7 tablet, vows to double network speed in 2011 | BGR | Boy Genius Report

Same form factor, although I would think the HSPA+ capability would be a sufficient differentiator (unless the S7 is also capable of that once TM turns on that band/protocol for the Streak?).

Explains a lot of their behavior I would think - once they realized the S7 would compare to the Streak 7, albeit slower (?), and not involve a lock-in with higher pricing, they decided to cut it off before the Streak 7 (guess we cannot abbreviate that as "S7"...) launches.

Anyone got a better theory not involving anti-competitive actions?

Update: actually read the article I linked more closely - the Streak does NOT have a phone, so is "only" a data tablet. I guess it makes even more sense now that they would not want the S7 showing it up with the phone capability, along with aligning their plans to have tablets that are data-only. Still seems short-sighted...

Last edited:

stephndudb

Jan 5, 2011
i know someone who was able to return the s7 and get a full refund from best buy. i would do the same except that i can't seem to locate my receipt. RETURN THE DAMN **** AND LET BEST BUY PUT PRESSURE ON BOTH HAUWEI & T-MOBILE. then use the money to buy something else and from someone who will not hoodwink us!!

I don't have a problem with Huawei or the S7. It works as advertised. It's TM that changed the rules on us. Huawei has no control over that.

50cals

Jan 5, 2011
Well I sure wouldn't return it as litohontiveros suggest..... if he want's to do that great. Sounds like he just needs a plain phone then.

Nobody "hoodwink'd" you so don't put the S7 down just cause TM are a bunch of dorks.

Everyone has seen the news about what verizon and seems like everyone else is getting ready to do with not offering upgrades and such.... I think all the companies are about to rethink these smartphones and the current plans they offer customers. Its not going to be good.

duceirae

Dec 14, 2010
but I dont think there is anything in there terms ( please correct me if im wrong ) that dictates how big your cell phone can be. I mean if im using less data and have a 70 foot tall cell phone I dont see the problem.. its just a shady act.. since there is plenty of people with iphones and tons of other non t mobile phones using t mobile but the s7 gets the shaft. its BS plain and simple...