Tablet integrated into car dash project

zyperion

Jan 24, 2012
I'm currently working on a project to mount an android tablet into the dash of my 2011 Genesis Coupe. I need to find a tablet with the following features/specs in order to make it work properly...

Necessary:
- 7" screen
- ARM-based processor
- Android Honeycomb or ICS (need all onscreen controls since you wont be able to access the hardbuttons after mounting)
- WiFi
- GPS (real gps not just wifi positioning)
- Bluetooth
- MicroSD card slot
- Relatively normal thickness bezel that is even (some of the tablets that have extremely fat bezels on the one side wont fit behind the dash kit)
- 1/8" audio output

Bonus:
- USB Host port
- IPS Screen

Anyone know of any that fit these requirements? The closest I've found is the Ainol NOVO 7 Elf/Aurora but they are missing the Bluetooth and GPS which are a huge portion of my plans. If I can find one that meets the above specs i'll definitely post pictures/videos of the install and final product!

Thanks! :D

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Nope, I have been keeping my eye out for a tablet for the same role but haven't been able to find just the right one. At the moment the 8" Galaxy tab is the front runner (also want the data connection) but a 7" screen is what I need.

Keep in mind that you can connect to a GPS receiver via bluetooth or USB which can give GPS. Other than missing a data connection (possibly remedied with a mobile hotspot for that purpose) the Nook Color is a surprisingly good fit and is now running the early builds of ICS (CM9).

JP

zyperion

Jan 24, 2012
Nope, I have been keeping my eye out for a tablet for the same role but haven't been able to find just the right one. At the moment the 8" Galaxy tab is the front runner (also want the data connection) but a 7" screen is what I need.

Keep in mind that you can connect to a GPS receiver via bluetooth or USB which can give GPS. Other than missing a data connection (possibly remedied with a mobile hotspot for that purpose) the Nook Color is a surprisingly good fit and is now running the early builds of ICS (CM9).

JP

I could...however that would alter my plans...which I guess now I'll share with you guys. My system would be designed as follows:

- Tablet mounted in dash above the stock radio
- Tablet audio output to stock radio AUX input so I can retain steering wheel volume controls
- Tablet bluetooth paired with my bluetooth OBD2 adapter running the Torque app for engine diagnostics and additional gauges
- Tablet DC power wired to in-dash cigarette lighter which is controlled by the ignition, while tablet is set to sleep after 30 seconds of inactivity but never sleep while charging (while the car is running) so that the tablet will wake up as soon as the car is turned on and sleep shortly after it is turned off since I wont have access to the hard buttons after install
- Tablet USB port wired to the existing USB data port in the center console for USB host functionality
- Stock radio bluetooth remains paired to my phone so that I retain the full handsfree capability of the stock radio and incoming calls interrupt my tablet audio
- Tablet is set to automatically connect to my phone's WiFi hotspot SSID so that I can tether it to my phone's data while in the car

I've basically got the whole thing figured out in my head and all the parts, cables, mounting hardware, etc bought/collected and im just waiting on the right tablet to start the surgery. The NOVO 7 Aurora would have been perfect had it come with bluetooth and gps.... =(

Last edited:

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
That's a really clever setup. Well done mate!

Are you limited to 7'' screen because a bigger one won't fit or is it for esthetic reasons? Perhaps expanding your search criteria can give you more options?

zyperion

Jan 24, 2012
That's a really clever setup. Well done mate!

Are you limited to 7'' screen because a bigger one won't fit or is it for esthetic reasons? Perhaps expanding your search criteria can give you more options?

The dash kit I imported from Korea is made to fit a 7" screen for the stock navigation in the Korean models so any bigger wouldnt fit. =/

I could drop features/functionality and go with a NOVO 7 Aurora/Elf but i'd lose the diagnostics through the bluetooth OBD2 port (not a huge deal) and navigation which was one of the main reasons I wanted to do this so I didnt have to use my phone for nav and could have it on a larger screen in-dash.

At that point it would just turn into a music player for Google Music, which would be cool but kinda feels a bit half-assed, ya know?

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I am pretty much right there with you for a 2011 Kia Optima, except replacing the factory radio with the tablet (thus the 7" limitation). Many of the thing should be the same Hyundai/Kia. The Nook Color can support multiple USB connections so presumably you can a) power, b) connect GPS and c) connect usb mass storage device. I was just hoping for a tablet with a little more horsepower under the hood since this is not likely to be a frequent replacement job.

The Nook color fits perfectly to replace the stereo and CD between the vents.

$2011_Kia_Optima_Hybrid_-_Front_Interior.jpg

Even better:

$2011_Kia_Optima_Nook_Color.JPG

Last edited:

zyperion

Jan 24, 2012
I am pretty much right there with you for a 2011 Kia Optima, except replacing the factory radio with the tablet (thus the 7" limitation). Many of the thing should be the same Hyundai/Kia. The Nook Color can support multiple USB connections so presumably you can a) power, b) connect GPS and c) connect usb mass storage device. I was just hoping for a tablet with a little more horsepower under the hood since this is not likely to be a frequent replacement job.

The Nook color fits perfectly to replace the stereo and CD between the vents.

View attachment 5514

Be sure to realize that you wont want to or be able to entirely replace the stock headunit with a tablet since it doesnt have the necessary power to drive your speakers unless you plan on adding an aftermarket amplifier and even then the headphone output doesnt have the voltage to properly drive an amp. So you'll want to install it in addition to the stock stereo and run it into an aux input on your factory stereo or an aftermarket headunit.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Be sure to realize that you wont want to or be able to entirely replace the stock headunit with a tablet since it doesnt have the necessary power to drive your speakers unless you plan on adding an aftermarket amplifier and even then the headphone output doesnt have the voltage to properly drive an amp. So you'll want to install it in addition to the stock stereo and run it into an aux input on your factory stereo or an aftermarket headunit.

Plenty of room in the hole left by the head unit for an amp :) I'm sure there must be an amp that can run the 3.5mm input.

zyperion

Jan 24, 2012
Plenty of room in the hole left by the head unit for an amp :) I'm sure there must be an amp that can run the 3.5mm input.

I'm sure there is, and it definitely can be done but it's going to be a fair amount of more specialized components to make it work and you'll find yourself losing some of your current creature comforts like steering wheel controls, door chimes, AM/FM/XM radio, CD, and any audible ECU warnings that your car might give once you pull the stock stereo headunit out.

As for the tablet's audio output power, for reference most aftermarket head units have 3V+ RCA preouts for amps with most units now in the 4V-5V range, while the tablet is going to have well under a 2V output voltage. This means your amp is going to have to work harder than if it were being fed by a proper headunit which will inject more noise on the signal and make the music sound worse. =/

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yep, those are all issues. Satellite, radio and CD can all go since they are easily replaced by tablet functions. The car controls are another issue and one I am working on as I would obviously like to retain those features. I wouldn't necessarily try and feed the amp the output directly unless there is an amp made for for that purpose. Otherwise you just have to boost the signal to the right level for the input of the main amp. If a head unit can take in an aux signal and output the right voltage for an amp, then there must be another unit that can do the same thing.

Retaining the car controls is an entirely different ball of wax. My understanding is that the head unit is basically the computer for the functions as well. So that means getting some sort of after market device for these functions (there are some touch screen after market units available that more like pcs than navis or replacement head units, so it is possible) or writing some code to allow the tablet to do it. It isn't going to be easy but car pc enthusiasts have been doing this stuff for years. It is just a matter of using an Android tablet instead of a pc.

Edit: Oh yeah and I should mention I am willing to spend considerable time and money (enough to make the cost of the tablet a non-issue I'm sure) on this. Both of which will certainly be required.

Last edited:

zyperion

Jan 24, 2012
So far it looks like my only real options are the Toshiba Thrive 7" and the Acer Iconia A100 but it's hard to stomach a $300+ tablet that still runs honeycomb. =/

Last edited:

xj220gt

Feb 26, 2012
I'm sure there is, and it definitely can be done but it's going to be a fair amount of more specialized components to make it work and you'll find yourself losing some of your current creature comforts like steering wheel controls, door chimes, AM/FM/XM radio, CD, and any audible ECU warnings that your car might give once you pull the stock stereo headunit out.

As for the tablet's audio output power, for reference most aftermarket head units have 3V+ RCA preouts for amps with most units now in the 4V-5V range, while the tablet is going to have well under a 2V output voltage. This means your amp is going to have to work harder than if it were being fed by a proper headunit which will inject more noise on the signal and make the music sound worse. =/

I have been runing my nook tablet on my car with a lot of success. I use an audio control EQ with 12v preouts and it sound great! except for the part where the nook has HORRIBLE audio to begin with.... its tolerable, but I do not recommend.... Check this out:
not my video, but inspiration to finish my project.

Last edited by a moderator:

geckoT2C

Jan 24, 2012
Hey Z, any luck with the project? Did you end up getting a tablet mounted? Would love to see what comes out of it :)

monstertablet

Oct 18, 2012
I used a Pipo U1 and here is why.

It is an up to date tablet running jelly bean,
has a ICS Screen
has Bluetooth
7inch
a big factor was it has a centered front camera when it is landscaped.
the other big factor is there are no hard buttons or logos on it so it doesn't look modified looks like part of the dash.

the only three that I think you should consider are
Pipo U1, Arnova 7 Flame Fire, or Freelander PD10.

They all have bluetooth, the freelander is the only one with gps but I think that is overrated due to the fact you will tether interent over bluetooth which you can do the same with gps off your phone. The Pipo U1 and Flame fire have 1ghz chips and 16gb internal memory.

The Pipo U1 has easy access to wire the mic to an external one to bring it to the front of the dash.

ask me.
[email protected]