Tablet/MID as CarPC

maddy_in65

Aug 9, 2010
I am planning to buy a tablet to use it as carPC in my car. There are lot a advantage to use tablet as Carpc, it saves lots of wiring and it can be used as tablet when we are not using it in car. My main usage is GPS while driving, music, video, movies, internet. So below is my requirement.

It should have GPS mainly A-GPS as i google maps require internet and it was not available at every place here.
3G with Edge support(Mainly use it at house where i get 3G.
If it comes with android then it should have atleast android 2.1, so can update to Froyo when available.
RAM should be above 512Mb, HDMI is not main priority. Should have good sound output quality.

I have another concern about sound output, all tablet have 3.5mm jack sound output, so is it possible to use this output with basic car sound setup. I heard that ohms of such devices are low, so we wont get loud sound with car sound. Is it possbile to use these devices with car amplifier to improve sound quality.
Any forum member who have experience with tablets carPC please share your experince and thought about this. Please suggest such tablet which can be used as CarPC. Thanks in advance.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
go to www.euogo.com they have some great tablets that meet your specs and i will go plug my tablet into my car tonight and see how the sound is and let you know.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
My smart phone car dash, windscreen, or vent adapter will mount my AuGen Gentouch 78 in my car. I already have USB to 12v charger for the 12v outlets. I'll test too!

maddy_in65

Aug 9, 2010
Thanks for the udpate, looking for your result when you use your tablet in car. Please review with amplifier and without amplifier if you have amplifier in your car.
BTW can any one recommend any tablet with these specs. The tablet should have good bulit quality as it would be used in car where it might experience jerks while driving.

maddy_in65

Aug 9, 2010
My smart phone car dash, windscreen, or vent adapter will mount my AuGen Gentouch 78 in my car. I already have USB to 12v charger for the 12v outlets. I'll test too!
I can do that but i want to mount it in the dash so that it will give OEM look. I will modify the dash when i finalise the tablet but 7 inch tablet is ideal for me.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Well the one I got from China had 3G, Vibration feature but that rob the battery life was less than 2.5Hrs. That feature was use for Games, Videos and Music.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Galaxy Tab might be the first with everything you need...

Edit:

It might have a simcard slot. At 7" it wont be too large.

maddy_in65

Aug 9, 2010
Samsung galaxy tab aka s-pad is one which is i am looking for but does any one has any idea when it will be released. Even aigo N700 is one of the promising tablet having all required specs and i cant find it on web for sale.

EDIT:- Please any one update on Aigo N700

Last edited:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Ya. Check the news page.

I just found out too. Early Sept, it looks like. October sounds more like it.

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
So i tested my m001 in my truck and it sounded great very loud and clear now i do have an after market deck but i dont think that had anything to do with it

maddy_in65

Aug 9, 2010
So i tested my m001 in my truck and it sounded great very loud and clear now i do have an after market deck but i dont think that had anything to do with it

Thats a very good update, can you tell us how do you connected tablet to sound, is it through amplifier or without amplifier. Is there any provision to connect to sound through 3.5mm jack.

P.S.:- Can any one have update about aigo N700, about its release

maddy_in65

Aug 9, 2010
I have shortlisted 3 tablets, Samsung galaxy tab, Aigo N700, and olive pad Vt100, I am waiting for their release.

SweGUS

Aug 31, 2010
I am also looking for Tablet for use in car, but need certain specs.

I have no headunit, using a carpc now, so I basically needs all functions. I will also crack it open and install it in the car, the install I have looks like this:
main.php

I will need, either built in functionality or accessory or addon for the following:
GPS
Wifi
3g/4g
Audio-out
Storage (USB, memorycard or whatever)
FM-Reciever (a must, since no headunit in car)
Bluetooth

Any ideas?
Most crucial is the FM-radio I guess, the rest most of them seem to have.
7-8" screen (as large as I can fit basically)

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010

Which bracket mount are using with the M001? I don't think I can use the SmartPhone bracket has I had thought. Just to small.