Tablet Screen Randomly Goes Black

Waffleguy

Jan 13, 2016
Hi everyone,

I had this samsung galaxy note tab 10.1 for a few years now, and it still works fine. But, randomly,specially when my screen is turned to highest brightness, and/or when I am using a internet app to browse internet/playing games etc, the screen randomly turns black(as in sometimes it does that).
The sound and everything is still normal and moves along just fine, so I think it's a display problem. I had to press the sleep button, make it go to sleep and turn it back, then it is normal again.

Anyone knows what I am talking about and might share some insight into this?

Thanks

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

When you say you pressed the sleep button, did you only tap it or did you need to start it up, as apposed to waking it up?

Waffleguy

Jan 13, 2016
Welcome to the forum

When you say you pressed the sleep button, did you only tap it or did you need to start it up, as apposed to waking it up?

I just pressed the sleep button so it went to sleep, and then pressed it again to wake it up again, after that everything is fine again. I didn't need to start it up.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
It sound like it's going into an inactivity sleep. Check the screen blanking sleep settings.

Waffleguy

Jan 13, 2016
I am sure it's not going into an inactivity sleep. I know this because 1) if it's in that sleep mode, I should just press the sleep button once so it comes back up, not twice. When it goes black like that, it's a different shade of black than the sleep mode. So I have to press sleep mode for it to go to sleep, then a second time to call it back up. 2) It can happen 1 second after I tap something, 5 seconds, 2 minutes or 1 hours or anything in between, and I am sure it's not that inactive, even in the lowest duration.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
You may have a hardware problem but the only way to get an idea if that's where the problem is would be to do a factory reset and see if the issue is still there.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
First try turning the tablet completely off for a minute and then turning it back on. (Hold the power button in until you get a shutdown message and select shutdown.)

Factory reset: How Do I "Factory Reset" My Tablet?

If there are no instructions there specifically for your tablet, try some of the methods for other tablets. One of them will probably work and you won't hurt anything by trying.

singinfish

Nov 18, 2016
Waffleguy, did you find a solution for this problem? I have an android phone. I just started experiencing this exact same issue today. Let me know if you were able to solve your issue. Thank you!!

cookiekar

Oct 18, 2017
I am also having this same issue for about 2 weeks now. The screen goes black but the volume is still working. Samsung Note 8 Tablet is about 5 years old.

Positive_Aware

May 25, 2016
Maybe you have an LCD problem? I think it's better if you go to the professionals to find the exact root of the problem.

Toothpick

Oct 31, 2017
I just bought a new Galaxy Tab A and started having problems with the screen randomly going black shortly after getting it setup. I tried the suggestions noted here and from other forums, but no luck. Finally, I realized that I could make it go black by just touching the sides of the tablet. I had also purchase a case to put the tablet in. This case has a tight plastic casing that surrounded the back and sides of the tablet. It seems that the plastic of the case and metal of the tablet formed a static field that would zap the tablet when you touched it just right. I removed the tablet from the case and the issue went away. Now to find a better case...