tablet that compairs to droid x2

Nikit

Nov 26, 2011
Ok so I'm new to tablets so basically I'm not finding what I want searching the web so hopefully someone here can help me.
I'm looking for a tablet for my son who's 10. I have the Motorola Droid x2 and I was wondering if there were any tablets that are comparable to the phone..(no calling ) but as far as apps on the market and speed and the limitations etc.
I want him to be able to watch Netflix download free music, play games and surf the web an watch YouTube.
Wondering about what types of apps u can get or if it would be like having my phone...anyone have some advice for a tablet that can do these things? Also maybe a USB an camera too...price hoping to stay around 100-200

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Lenovo's Idea Pad A1 or Acer's Iconia Tab A100 will fit the bill there.

Sent from Rob's TapadaAtrix :)

Nikit

Nov 26, 2011
Thanks.
so I read a review for the Acer and it seems it would do want I want..although it said it was limited on apps...I'm confused here with the market cause it didn't say it had access to the full market. Does it? Also if it does have access to market are you able to get all the apps any other android device would? Such as my droid x2 Or is it specifically for which device you get? I saw a Colby as well it said you had to download the market? ? Also is the kindle fire something that would fit my needs or is that more of a reader?
Thank u

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Apps availability variesbby device. Not all apps work on all devices. The A100 is one of the few 7" tablets that runs on Honeycomb and it does have access to the market. You can also install the Amazon appstore which give one free paid app every day. Im not familiar with Coby so i can't comment on that. The Kindle Fire runs on Android but is heavily skinned with the Kindle overlay. Don't know if it will run the Market thought.

Last edited:

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
Until it's rooted, the Kindle Fire is probably securely tied to Amazon only. For a 10 year old, I would buy an a100 on sale for $190, a Samsung, a refurbed Nook Color + a n2a card or a Toshiba (if on sale).

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum

Nikit

Nov 26, 2011
Oh OK. Yeah I get the root thing but don't really wanna have yo do that

Where is the a100 on sale at? I couldn't find a sale better than 250$

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
The $190 sale was at BestBuy on black Friday and cyber Monday sales, but I believe that is pretty much done now.

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
If you watch all the usual suspects, someone else may run a good sale.

Nikit

Nov 26, 2011
So the nook one seems nice. Although I don't think I understand the root card or whatever? Is that a guarantee it will be rooted or however u do it to work on android? And does it limit you to the apps u can get? Sorry for all the questions
So much more confusing picking out a cheaper tab than I thought

Nikit

Nov 26, 2011
Actually the nook looks more like just a reader which is not what I want. ?

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
Actually the nook looks more like just a reader which is not what I want. ?
A friend of mine has the nook color she can surf the web and do barnes and nobles, when she puts her card in (I think she paid $35) she boots it as an android tablet with access to the market. She loves it and is trying to talk me into it. I am in the same boat as you trying to figure this all out.

Nikit

Nov 26, 2011
Do you know if she gets Netflix? And can get games etc?
I am curious if it runs 2.3 android or lower too..Acer seems very nice except the nook is cheaper which I like

dansamy

Dec 19, 2010
With a n2a card, you can boot the Nook Color as an android 2.3 tablet. It will run Netflix and angry birds.

There are several hackers selling the cards pre-made or you can learn to make it yourself. If you buy one, they are $35-50ish. A refurbed NC may run $120-150ish. The best part about a dual boot NC is that when you remove the card, it's an ordinary NC. If you can't find a tablet on sale in your budget, this would be your next best choice.

Last edited:

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
I am curious if it runs 2.3 android or lower too..Acer seems very nice except the nook is cheaper which I like
Hi Nikit, you can find some decent android 2.3 tablet PC with under $200 in our site, hope you can find what you want and enjoy the online tablet buying!:)

Daphne

Nov 22, 2011
She has angry birds and a few others. She doesnt' have a netflix account, but says it should work.