Tablet with Real GPS, Not a-GPS - Does It Exist?

mtwd

Apr 27, 2011
No, it doesn't really help sorry.
Question is: can I use a tablet that has aGPS without a SIM card in it to receive a satellite signal?
I tried that with an iPad 2 which has aGPS and it didn't work. iPad's WIFI was disabled. I was unable to receive GPS signal despite of waiting 10min. Is a-GPS on an iPad different than on other devices?

I can with my galaxy tab, I only have a basic calls only no data sim card in it and it works fine.

gyperdandy

Jun 29, 2011
i remember the first time i saw asus transformer on a best buy store, i tried to open its navigation software and only after like 3 seconds it told me it needs a working data connection and force closed the app.
later on i read tried googling and saw that many of the potential buyers needs an answer to the question, "does asus's eee pad has an in-built gps that works in a traditional way, and not only wifi based? " well the answer is YES, cell towers thru wifi only speeds up the process like any smartphone does and roughly tells you where you are using google maps. but when you dont have a wireless internet connection, it works too, you just need to make sure you hold the device near to a window or anywhere where it can face a satellite signal and give it a minute or two to triangulate. and about the software, i installed google earth for android honeycomb3 and probably because i roughly browsed around my city when i had a connection i had no problems having a clear image when it zoomed in to my location. (to be sure i increased the quota of cache google earth is using). so finally, gps with wifi off (on airplane mode) works ok but needs access to open sky, and gps with wifi on works faster.

dhuewes

Jun 14, 2011
i wanna see the GPS performance(when offline) comparison, coz my galaxy S phone does have offline GPS but it's so suck. There's one time I tried to lock the signal, it took 5 mins and still could not lock it, the sky was clear. Then my friend pop out his TomTom, it caught signal in 2 secs. :mad: So I really wonder if the new Galaxy 10.1 come with a usable offline GPS.

romerun - the locking time depends on many factors. One of them, and the most important, is previous data recorded from the available sats. If the guy with the TomTom used to roam in this place, it would lock really very quick. But if the same device is taken to a complete different place - let's say, a different city, the lock would take far more time.

Jun 29, 2011
I don't want an iPad without a SIM, I actually don't want an iPad at all. I was just saying that I tried one and the GPS didn't work, it was a WIFI version only so maybe that's why it didn't work.
I am not confused by maps download.
I just want a device (I do not want an iPad) that will work without a data network and in places around the world where there is no cellular reception. I travel to places that have no cellular towers so I don't want to be surprised by the device not working because of lack of cellular coverage. Basically, I've been using my laptop with Google Earth (cached maps) and GPS receiver, and that works great but was hoping to replace this setup with just one device, a tablet that would do exactly the same and it would be more convenient. Taking a laptop out of the bag, turning it on and waiting for it to boot up and then walk around with it is a bit inconvenient.

Ipad wifi has no gps. It uses a wifi router location service to approximate the location but no wifi, no updates. I had a wifi only ipad and got a 3g one.
My 10.1 works well for Google Sky with no wifi on. I can't tell you why but it does and also maps knows where I am within 3' at this moment but I am on wifi.

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

freeze

Nov 24, 2011
So did you find one? I was thinking of getting one for my husband for hunting instead of a handheld GPS. There are areas here that have no cell coverage so I need to make sure of what I buy.

Skitzo

Nov 27, 2011
Apparently the Toshiba has both T-GPS and A-GPS. It'll use the cell towers and when it can't connect goes True GPS. However, I don't own one yet so I have not been able to test it out

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I have an ASUS Transformer and it works great with the app Sygic and no WiFi. Used it whilst traveling around Europe for 2 weeks. Much better than a stand alone GPS IMO. Sometimes it did take 10 minutes to locate itself, but once found it was spot on.

Walkop

Apr 18, 2011
OKAY, I'm going to set this whole thing straight.

The spec page for the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer says aGPS, correct?

I owned one (sold for the Prime). The GPS WORKS without data. The issue is not the GPS chip, but getting and storing the maps on the tablet. See, GPS is simply a locking system that locks onto your location. Without data that interprets that location in a sensible form (maps), you can't figure out where you are. Google Maps doesn't naturally keep these maps on your device, it's all on their servers - hence, you need data to get the maps (you can open the app, but can't really do too much). The app does cache a bit of where you've searched in the past while, but it doesn't cache anything else.

Unless you tell it to.

Under options, in the "Labs" section, there's an option for maps caching. You can cache up to 10 5KM (I think...) areas of your choosing when you have Wi-Fi. Then, you can simply go out and the GPS will lock onto your signal (without data) and the maps app will then show your location. It's really simple once you get it.

Either that, or you can buy a maps app that keeps all this on your tab.

techmind48

Feb 10, 2012
If an Android 4.0 ICS Tablet does not have GPS built in, is there a way to get GPS by other means like aGPS, etc?

Waiting for reply

A. S. Bhasker Raj
Secunderabad
India

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
techmind48 said:
If an Android 4.0 ICS Tablet does not have GPS built in, is there a way to get GPS by other means like aGPS, etc?

Waiting for reply

A. S. Bhasker Raj
Secunderabad
India

Not really, aGPS uses both GPS and cellular or maybe wifi to more quickly and or accurately find your location.

stellarebecca

May 29, 2012
Yes there many apps like Mobile-spy, mobistealth and flexispy are available in the market that provide gps tracking with many other useful features. the price tag of flexispy is high as compare to other two apps. The features of Mobile-spy and mobistealth are same but mobistealth have good after selling customer support as compare to the other one.

Natey2

May 25, 2012
Turn on your device indoors, in a basement, underground parking lot, etc. Can it still locate you? A real GPS needs a clear view of the sky to work, right?
Many mobile devices (not the cheap tablets) have a GPS chip (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SiRF) for better accuracy. Not as good as the GPS in commercial aircraft :^)
Not all GPS hardware was created equal.

In descending order of navigational accuracy:
GPS chip (if present)
Cell tower triangulation (if cellular device)
WiFi networks

All are probably used by your navigation app to try to locate you.

Last edited:

thenewguy

Nov 14, 2013
Just wondering if anyone settled this debate lol I'm looking into buying a new tablet and installing it into my truck dash and downloading the Ulysse Speedometer app to use for my speedometer and all my music but my Asus memo pad wont connect to a gps satellite but my Milestone X will and it has no service on it and it works while i'm driving down the road. I want my new tablet to do the same thing.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Just wondering if anyone settled this debate lol I'm looking into buying a new tablet and installing it into my truck dash and downloading the Ulysse Speedometer app to use for my speedometer and all my music but my Asus memo pad wont connect to a gps satellite but my Milestone X will and it has no service on it and it works while i'm driving down the road. I want my new tablet to do the same thing.

My Lenovo a2109 is a true GPS, I use it for work everyday. I need GPS navigation to find jobs all the time as I travel for work.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Tablet

Unre4l

Jan 8, 2014
I can confirm that my 2 year old Samsung Galaxy 7.7 (The onle Apple got banned all around the universe) tablet has a GPS chip which works independently of the Wifi/3g. You just need to make sure to have downloaded maps beforehand. I have taken it all over Europe and used the GPS to find my way around without any internet in sight.

My dilemma now is that I wish to upgrade and most tablets on market require internet for GPS. So my question is the same. Not that the 7.7s specs are bad. Even after 2 years its a decent OLED screen tablet