Tablets for Making Music?

soundklinik

Oct 16, 2014
Hi all,
my first post here, and I'm glad I finally found a forum dedicated to Android tablets:)

Does anyone make music on their tablet? What kind of tablet is best to use? (Specs wise-$250 budget)

Sure, good fast quad/octa CPU, 2GB memory 16-32GB HDD. But do I need really high video resolution?

I have been researching for a while tablets, that would be good for music. Size 8-10"max.
Preferably 10". And the more I look, the more complicated or frustrating it is getting...

I would be using it for making music with apps, reading ebooks, and checking email.
Not much for movies, videos etc...(I have a PC for that stuff)
I like that cube talk 9X,...

Can these/or any tablets be updated to Android 5-Lollipop? (From Android 4.4+)

Thank you for help...:D

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum
I can understand your frustration. Most of the decent tablets that would meet your requirements are outside of your budget. But I'm not certain what exactly you mean by "making" music. Recoding or composing?

soundklinik

Oct 16, 2014
Welcome to the forum
I can understand your frustration. Most of the decent tablets that would meet your requirements are outside of your budget. But I'm not certain what exactly you mean by "making" music. Recoding or composing?

Hi and thanks for reply.
I mean composing with programs like Caustic 3 , G-stomper studio, FL mobile studio etc...and virtual synthesizers and sequencers...

What would be the main thing to look for in a tablet for (streaming) audio? I am not talking about creating "professional quality recordings" , it's for fun, but I don't want the thing to crash or block or lag or whatever they do when you make them work...

My main frustration is with the reliability of tablets. If I buy Chinese and have a problem, shipping it over there costs a fortune and takes sometimes months before receiving a new one. (BTW I live in France)

I am wondering if it isn't better to go with big brands like Asus or similar? Or try to find a local or European re-seller so in case of problem it can be handled locally?

How is the quality of these tablets nowadays?
Finally, Can Android OS be updated from 4 to 5 on some/ most/ any tablet?

TIA

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I would stick with a higher end quad core name brand. ASUS or Samsung, The streaming depends on your WiFi setup and speed more than anything. If you purchased something like the ASUS 701T or Samsung Galaxy Tab S I feel it would do all you are wanting to do..

soundklinik

Oct 16, 2014
Thanks, yes it would get something like that, but they are petty expensive, for meantime I bought a Prestigio 8" pad with 1GB memory and 1.5mhz cpu, to see how I like it...

cheers

lindaramar

Oct 23, 2014
Samsung galaxy tab 3 10.1 can be found under $200. I found one for $165 on eBay and people who are more used to eBay than I can do a lot better.

Android is can be updated if the manufacturer chooses to issue an update. Some systems can't be updated because the hardware isn't up to the task.

soundklinik

Oct 16, 2014
Samsung galaxy tab 3 10.1 can be found under $200. I found one for $165 on eBay and people who are more used to eBay than I can do a lot better.

Android is can be updated if the manufacturer chooses to issue an update. Some systems can't be updated because the hardware isn't up to the task.

Thanks, I am looking for those, if I can get them at a decent price and I am very tempted by some of the "unknown" hi spec androids like Onda, Cube etc, reviewed here...they blow away apple easy...
but do they last?
cheers

Peter Carlos

Nov 11, 2014
Well, specs wise I would say almost all the tablets are good enough to play with music, what matter is what apps you are going to create music ?? I would say instead of asking about the tabs you should have asked for the music app which could help you out with the music. I was going to suggest you getting your hands over Nexus 9 but it seems that you are low with the budget and you require a device which will be updated to Android Lollipop in future means you should give a shot to Nexus 7 I know you would say its older now but anyway if you trust me on this it still worth getting because I am sure it's going to get updated over to the Lollipop.