Tell me the disadvantages of galaxy tab 10.1

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Glad I found this thread! I too don't know whether I should get an iPad 2 or Samsung Galaxy Tablet. The deal breaker for me are the apps. I keep hearing apps on an Android tablets look "stretched out" is this true?

Not at all. The vast majority are just fine, but just like the iPad, there are still some app developers who can't be bothered to make tablet ready versions of their apps, so they may look a bit bad. The iPad is just a giant, overpriced iPod Touch. ;)

ShelJW

Mar 26, 2012
My elderly mother (80+) has an iPhone and an iPad.

She's constantly asking me or my son to help her buy movie tickets with her iPad, order a book from Amazon for her, etc.

What drives me NUTS is, it will ask you for a password EVERY TIME... even if all she wants to do is update an app, she has to enter her password!

Plus, she's always forgetting her password (I can't totally blame her, as it does get confusing when one site reqires a password that includes a letter and a number, another site or app requires a password that has a capital letter in it, etc.)....so when we try to purchase, say, movie tickets for her, she's told her "Password" is incorrect. Or her iTunes password isn't correct, or whatever!

My wife, same thing! She is an Apple devotee... I asked her about three weeks ago to install OurGroceries on her device, so that I could simply add grocery items as I became aware we needed them, on my Transformer Prime, or on my Thunderbolt, and it would automatically sync to her device (great app, by the way!)...

Well, after ten minutes of her trying to install it, and being notified that her ITunes account needed to be updated, or that her password was incorrect, or some such issue, she gave up and told me "Just write it down"!!!

Hey, I can "write" down what we need today, but later in the week, when I input the fact we're out of ketchup, or whatever, into my OurGroceries app on my Android device, and SHE goes to the market, she won't know we need it!

WHY should you need to input your password, to UPDATE an app?!?

As others have pointed out, there are also other things that are so simple on an Android device, but which, at least for me, seem incredibly complicated on an IPhone/IPad, and I'm NOT computer illiterate!

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
My elderly mother (80+) has an iPhone and an iPad.

She's constantly asking me or my son to help her buy movie tickets with her iPad, order a book from Amazon for her, etc.

What drives me NUTS is, it will ask you for a password EVERY TIME... even if all she wants to do is update an app, she has to enter her password!

Plus, she's always forgetting her password (I can't totally blame her, as it does get confusing when one site reqires a password that includes a letter and a number, another site or app requires a password that has a capital letter in it, etc.)....so when we try to purchase, say, movie tickets for her, she's told her "Password" is incorrect. Or her iTunes password isn't correct, or whatever!

My wife, same thing! She is an Apple devotee... I asked her about three weeks ago to install OurGroceries on her device, so that I could simply add grocery items as I became aware we needed them, on my Transformer Prime, or on my Thunderbolt, and it would automatically sync to her device (great app, by the way!)...

Well, after ten minutes of her trying to install it, and being notified that her ITunes account needed to be updated, or that her password was incorrect, or some such issue, she gave up and told me "Just write it down"!!!

Hey, I can "write" down what we need today, but later in the week, when I input the fact we're out of ketchup, or whatever, into my OurGroceries app on my Android device, and SHE goes to the market, she won't know we need it!

WHY should you need to input your password, to UPDATE an app?!?

As others have pointed out, there are also other things that are so simple on an Android device, but which, at least for me, seem incredibly complicated on an IPhone/IPad, and I'm NOT computer illiterate!

Not that long ago I had to go to my iTunes account on a computer and add some new security questions and a 2nd email address. Could not do it from my iPhone!

nivram

Feb 2, 2012
Lack of connectivity after owning the Acer iconia i miss the hdmi, usb and micro sim. Oh and i find honeycomb on the Samsung sluggish.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Lack of connectivity after owning the Acer iconia i miss the hdmi, usb and micro sim. Oh and i find honeycomb on the Samsung sluggish.

I have no use for HDMI but I do have the Samsung SD card reader and it works great. Just plug it in and you're good to go. I have no use for USB either but Samsung does sell a connection kit that gives you that functionality.

Honeycomb is not the least bit sluggish on my Galaxy Tab. It's actually very smooth and fast.

kimaki

Jun 28, 2012
Im very satisfied with this tab, i bought it with 1 year used in good conditions. Only the battery sucks; with display light 100% - max. 2h playing.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
Im very satisfied with this tab, i bought it with 1 year used in good conditions. Only the battery sucks; with display light 100% - max. 2h playing.

The battery life does not suck at all. I used mine for web browsing and game playing for an entire 6.5 hour flight recently and still had 40% battery left. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to keep your screen on 100%. Not only does it waste battery power but it's bad for your eyes. I keep mine at about 30% and it's just fine.

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
The battery life does not suck at all. I used mine for web browsing and game playing for an entire 6.5 hour flight recently and still had 40% battery left. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to keep your screen on 100%. Not only does it waste battery power but it's bad for your eyes. I keep mine at about 30% and it's just fine.

It helps to remove the sunglasses when using the tab ;p

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

dsabinojr

May 30, 2012
One drawback is that it takes much more time to charge the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1's battery compared to other tablets such as the Motorola Xoom or the Sony Tablet S.