Tethering Acer Iconia to an android phone

tammyltl

Jan 7, 2012
I currently have a blackberry, but mobilicity is offering a deal right now on an unlimited data plan (at least in Canada) I'm looking at buying the most inexpensive android phone and tethering to my Iconia a100 (and my husband is looking at doing the same with his A500)

Mobilicity uses AWS. I'm wondering if anyone knows what "cheap" phones would work for this purpose.

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
Straight out you are probably looking at a $100-$200 phone. You might as well just get a mifi unit from your carrier, it will be cheaper in the end anyway.

Sent from Rob's TapadaIconia :D

dbvanhorn

Jan 13, 2012
Works with my EVO. I'm rooted on the phone running cyanogen 7. You may be able to get the evo pretty inexpensively these days.
I also use the tethering with my laptop.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
You cant just tether a android phone straight to an android tablet. You can pay extra for a wifi hotspot or you can hack your phone and get a wireless tether app that broadcasts in infrastructure mode instead of adhoc mode. Or you if you dont get a phone that supports infrastructure mode you will have to hack both your phone and tablet and hope there is an adhoc hack for your tablet.

Im not telling you this to scare you but i am letting you know that tethering might not be as simple as you think up front. but once you get it set up the first time it is super simple. I have a rooted droid x that i use to tether to my vizio tab and it is awesome.

Batchman

May 14, 2011
You cant just tether a android phone straight to an android tablet.

I did. But I'm in Germany and have an unlocked LG Optimus One (originally with Froyo, now with Gingerbread). All I had to do was turn it on (settings, wireless & networks, tethering & portable hotspot, give it a name and password). It's my understanding that Android from version 2.2 supports tethering out of the box (unless your carrier's custom version has it blocked, of course). That's how I use my A500 when traveling. With carrier customized phones, though, you might have to jump through hoops (rooting, etc). But with stock Android, you certainly can "just tether a Android phone straight to an Android tablet." (Actually, I think I'm tethering the tablet to the phone, rather than the phone to the tablet.)

Melvin

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Jan 16, 2012
You cant just tether a android phone straight to an android tablet. You can pay extra for a wifi hotspot or you can hack your phone and get a wireless tether app that broadcasts in infrastructure mode instead of adhoc mode. Or you if you dont get a phone that supports infrastructure mode you will have to hack both your phone and tablet and hope there is an adhoc hack for your tablet.

Im not telling you this to scare you but i am letting you know that tethering might not be as simple as you think up front. but once you get it set up the first time it is super simple. I have a rooted droid x that i use to tether to my vizio tab and it is awesome.

actually, Acer fixed this problem when they rolled out 3.2.1

i have a phone that broadcasts in Ad Hoc and it would never connect before the update. The 3.2.1 update allows the a500 to connect flawlessly to a native ad hoc wifi hotspot.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011

Took 2 seconds on a friend's android phone. Much easier than you say.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
Just be carefull with your carriers and trying to tether and avoid their tether plans, they have caught poeople and after repeated use to evade the notification and tether, have froze their 3g/4g plans.

I got a deal with verizon because we remained on the unlimted plan, they gave use unlimited hotspot for our tabs for 29.99 and they remain unlimited data, got to call them and do not activate through the web and change your plan if unlimited, activate through the phone or by calling them, or going to a rep and askign for the deal.

I use onlive gaming so I need 4g.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Don't have that problem. I got a data pln with mine. My problem is rather when tablet is tethered to phone I can't seem to get to the internet, even though the phone does. I have a htc EVO - I bought the phone and I think I have setting problem. Anyone with an evo willing to compare settings?