The new Android market sucks! (Problems with Appbrain and Fast Web Installer)

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
I saw this on Droid-Life Rumor: Google Preparing to Launch Browser-based Android Market Tomorrow - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog. This may solve the issues with the new market, browser to phone-wise. This is probably why they blocked AppBrain
Very cool! But I didn't understand it at first. I have the impression you need to be browsing on the device where you want to install the app. It's the only way Google can continue to "ensure" that a specific app goes with its intended device, in other words, to try and prevent us from using "phone" apps on a tablet. If that's the case, then one of the best features of Fast Web Installer will be absent, which is the ability to browse on a nice, big computer screen, and target the app to any device in my Android arsenal (I think there are 3 atm).

WAIT!!! HOLD the presses. I just actually read the May update, and one of the photo captions says, "Download apps and music online triggering downloads to device…" YES!!!! I guess, then, like Appbrain your device appears in the online Market registry and voila, targeted downloads. Sweet.

-Matt

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Looks cool, I like the music sync aspect of it too. I hope that isn't a Droid Bionic that Google is using in that Droid Life video. Boo Motorola, lol

rogand

Jan 26, 2011
Yup, that does explain their blocking AppBrain.
I really liked it, during the brief time I had a smartphone and it still worked.
Glad to see something though at least. It's sometimes hard to find decent smartphone apps on a smartphone, as you get a lot of noise and crapware, and not always what you want in your search, unless you already know the exact name (and sometimes, not even then) Much easier to sort through on a big screen.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Yup, that does explain their blocking AppBrain.
I really liked it, during the brief time I had a smartphone and it still worked.
Glad to see something though at least. It's sometimes hard to find decent smartphone apps on a smartphone, as you get a lot of noise and crapware, and not always what you want in your search, unless you already know the exact name (and sometimes, not even then) Much easier to sort through on a big screen.

Yeah, I used it a couple times yesterday, and it performs well (after their initial snafu) So today I will say farewell to appbrain...