The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@blando233 Next month

@JetBlackStealth6687 If you missed out on the Woot sale, you will have a difficult time finding the gTablet below $300 for a while. Tethering is free ala root on the D1, no? It will work one way or another... Workaround may be needed, but it can work.

JetBlackStealth6687

Mar 15, 2011
Yeah, I saw the woot sale. Not too broken up about it....if this had been an urgent need, I woulda pulled the trigger. Im patient. I can wait.

I may even just go with an 8" aPad and fool around with it and see what I can get it to do.

Thanks!

N8OAY

Mar 24, 2011
Wow! This thread is quite overwhelming! I have not read the whole thing so please excuse me if I missed something that would answer my needs. I have read only the first and last 3 pages.

1 - My primary needs are for a high quality ereader (both Kindle and Nook or other epub format plus good quality pdf), Firefox Mobile for web surfing, a good POP3 email app, calendar, and the ability to read and write open format (like OpenOffice .odt, .ods) documents. Flash is a must have - I spend a lot of time on Ancestry.com and Twitter. I have zero interest in using a tablet for movies or music, and I do not play games.

2 - The budget is $?? The cost of a Viewsonic or Zoom are way beyond the realm of possibility, but has to have multi-touch.

3 - I am an old fart with some health problems, so I spend a lot of time reading in bed or laying on the couch, making weight an issue. I am not sure how much the 9 and 10 inch screen tablets weigh, but something that is a couple pounds is not an option. On the other hand, I am not sure how reading a pdf of a standard format magazine would be on the 7 inch 800x480 screens.

4 - I have had my Droid R2D2 for just 6-7 weeks, but am computer literate. I run Linux on my main computer.

5 - I live in the Dayton Ohio area, but probably will be buying online unless I can find a better price locally.

I started out looking at and liking the Velocity Micro Cruz T301, then realized I would be very limited by it using Android 2.0 and probably not be able to install the currently available versions of Kindle and Firefox and probably others. I have also looked at the 7 inch Superpad, Archos 70 and Elocity A7 on Amazon. I would much rather have a netbook running Linux (I have the option of a known used netbook for well below $100), but the weight of a netbook is a problem.

Thanks for the help!
Dave

Last edited:

isoDUB

Mar 24, 2011
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps

looking flash compatibility, wifi, accelorometer, multi touch, sd slot, and capacitive screen. bluetooth would be nice, but not required. i'll be using the tablet for web browsing, music, movies/videos/youtube, social networking, and light gaming (Angry Birds, tower defense, emulators), mostly at home.

2) how much you are willing to spend

i won't be able to get one for a while, so i'd like to know about current/upcoming high end tablets (Xoom) and also budget tablets (Archos Arnova) in case i can't afford the more expensive models. also, i'll most likely buy from a local store, but online is still an option.

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be

7"-10"

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate

i have a rooted Droid 1, HTC HD2 booting nand android, and i've rooted a Droid 2 and rooted and unlocked a Samsung Vibrant before.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)

San Francisco, CA

Last edited:

generic3

Mar 25, 2011
Hello there I have a few questions for you. I love little gadgets and have recently come across this new android tablet. I was wondering if the hdmi ports are recommended when purchasing one? I have an awesome tv and would like to connect the two. Can you connect the two devices with a usb port? Thanks

steelers4582

Jan 12, 2011
Hi, I am looking for the best deal on a dual core tablet. I've had my eye on the Viewsonic G Tablet but are there any others I should consider? Thanks

1) what you will be using the tablet for- Mostly internet and Apps
2) how much you are willing to spend. $350
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be. 10 inch
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate. Had a Droid Eris phone since the day it was released and I'm a software developer...
5) Please list your location somewhere. Virginia

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@N8OAY The Viewsonic is a few hundred dollars cheaper than the Xoom. Since the Viewsonic gTablet is still too expensive for you, you probably want the Nook Color. Or the eLocity A7 for a faster device, but with drawbacks.

@isoDUB You really should narrow down a size before I can answer you properly. If you are mostly using at home, I would recommend trying the 10". The differences between an Android 3.0 tablet and an Android 2.x tablet are significant. There are not many options to consider at 10", but lookup news for the Viewsonic gTablet, eLocity A10, and the Honeycomb tablets such as the Xoom.

@generic3 Most people have no use for the HDMI port. Unless you have a specific purpose for it, it's unnecessary.

@steelers4582 Not too many choices at 10", so that's pretty much what is available at the moment at that price point. eLocity A10 supposedly has a better screen, but will cost you more and is missing in action.

Newbie3001

Mar 25, 2011
Tell us:
1) Use in an educational setting, Graduate level, flash, wifi, documents, productivity tools
2) $500
3) 10"
4) Familiar with Android, computer literate
5) Minneapolis, Minnesota

paintgod

Mar 25, 2011
Hi I do outside sales and use alot a paper taking down orders and was thinking going the tablet way. All I need is to be able to write my orders during the day (saving as going along) and then either email in the evening or faxing. Any suggestions on what tablet will be good and if i need a special app for writing(something like microsoft word is fine) or is there a "cheap " tablet that will allow me to use a stylus to write my orders. Since all I will be doing is writing orders and do not need anything fancy would like to keep under $200.00
THANKS

aprillh

Mar 25, 2011
I'm in the market for an Android tablet but based on what I've read so far, I may be a little premature for what I am looking for. I basically want a tablet version of my phone - the HTC Incredible. I will use it mostly at home instead of the pc so mostly for email and web-surfing. Must have Honeycomb. ~10" would be nice, 7" is too small. I am pretty computer literate but have not delved into rooting, etc. I am in Houston.

So do I need to wait until the larger HTC Flyer comes out this summer? Any other options?

Last edited:

isoDUB

Mar 24, 2011
@isoDUB You really should narrow down a size before I can answer you properly. If you are mostly using at home, I would recommend trying the 10". The differences between an Android 3.0 tablet and an Android 2.x tablet are significant. There are not many options to consider at 10", but lookup news for the Viewsonic gTablet, eLocity A10, and the Honeycomb tablets such as the Xoom.
thanks. any news sites you recommend? so far i've found the Asus Slider, Asus Transformer, Xoom, Galaxy Tab 10.1, and Notion Ink Adam. 2011 will have some great selections coming out. :)

generic3

Mar 25, 2011
@N8OAY The Viewsonic is a few hundred dollars cheaper than the Xoom. Since the Viewsonic gTablet is still too expensive for you, you probably want the Nook Color. Or the eLocity A7 for a faster device, but with drawbacks.

@generic3 Most people have no use for the HDMI port. Unless you have a specific purpose for it, it's unnecessary.

@steelers4582 Not too many choices at 10", so that's pretty much what is available at the moment at that price point. eLocity A10 supposedly has a better screen, but will cost you more and is missing in action.

Thank you very much for the timely honest response much appreciated!!!!

N8OAY

Mar 24, 2011

What kind of drawbacks does the eLocity A7 have?

Thanks again for the help!
Dave

generic3

Mar 25, 2011
Thanks so much for the help earlier. I have my search narrowed down I believe to two different models. I will place a link to each one and can someone please check them and tell me which one is the better of the two?? Please and thank you for the help and your time
7 inch Google Android 2.1 256MB 2GB tablet pc | eBay
7 inch Google Android 2.0 VIA 400M 256M ROM Wifi Camere Epad ...USD 93.93/Piece Wholesale Price at **********

Decided to add a lil more info. I'm going to be using the tablet for work-wifi hot spot there; taking notes; scheduling ect and at home. I have wifi there also. I love new gadgets have some knowledge of computers am pretty tech handy. I also have a nice LED wifi tv and was thinking of using the hdmi port to connect the two; but was wondering if the usb cable could be used instead of hdmi. Not familiar with android at all have never used it and was worried I would get one that wouldn't be upgradeable or get ripped off since I am new to the tablet scene. Would greatly appreciate someone's input. THANKS for your time also

Last edited: