The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

Sssith

Jun 24, 2011
What I need..
  • Something to take with me on commute
  • I want to be able to write documents/emails{notification}
  • I want to be able to browse the internet
  • I want to be able to connect to email different accounts (gmail, yahoo, and my work exchange)
  • I do not have to be connected while I commute
  • WiFi
  • Android 3
Nice to haves
  • Keyboard
  • Gaming
  • 10 inch screen
  • netflix {already a subscriber}
  • mlb.tv {already a subscriber}
Not worried about
  • Weight -- I am told people shy away from a tablet that more than 1.5 lbs. Given that it was not too long ago that I regularly lugged by 8 lbs laptop that doesn't sound like a problem. Hell I had one of the original 'portable' computers from compaq that weighed over 30 lbs.
I am eyeballing the Asus Transformer. Concerned that there might be so other options that are about to come out that I am not aware of.

Acceptable amount to spend is around $550. But that should include things like a cover/keyboard.

Deeky

Jun 20, 2011
I absolutely cant live without:
  • Good resolution screen for games and ebook reading
  • Capacitive screen.
  • Being able to play plants vs zombies, age of zombies smoothly
  • WiFi for email
  • 2.2 at the very least
Nice to haves
  • 3G
  • Gaming batterly life of 3 hours +
  • Preferebly 10 inch screen but 7 will do me
  • 2.3 or 3.0 would be lovely
Not worried about
  • Weight
  • Manufacturer - Long as it works and its not a complete knockoff.
I'm looking at the Kogan 7in but its got poor reviews on Cnet 7" Tablet PC with Capacitive Touchscreen: Powered by Android - Buy your Android Tablet PC from Kogan set to be $199 unless the price resets to 139 again.

Also the galaxy tab is approximately $300 in australia depending on providers

Dropad A8 has nice reviews for games but I don't know if I can find a safe reseller

Archos G9 is coming out in september so I could wait...

Azmat

Jun 25, 2011
hi , I am new in this forum .. and searching for a tablet at around $200(US).. I have considered Ematic Eglide 7" tablet.. but searched out in a post that it doesn't has enough battery time with Wi-Fi(ON) probably lasts in 2 hours. However, my prime necessities are:

Wi-Fi,
3G(optional)
HDMI port
reading .PDF files
surfing net for long times
playing other apps and games(angry birds must :)
Bluetooth
playing videos smoothly online
a good battery life(that lasts 4,5 hours)

dougjensen

Jun 26, 2011
I am looking for a 7” Android tablet like this: Honeycomb; 32GB+microSD slot; Google apps especially Marketplace; Flash 10.2; replaceable battery; high quality screen; high quality fit and finish; Wi-Fi only; price is no object.

weltall

Jun 27, 2011
Ok here goes what I want:

1) Well I will be using my Tablet for mainly 2 things. Reading books or comics (or whatever else that is book like), watching videos from movies to series.. and thats about it. Surfing the net with it will be a plus for when I am out at a cafe or such but afar from that I do not think I will need it for much more. As for features, if it can be considered one, an sd card slot.
2) I am willing to spend about 200usd. I know its low but I live in Greece so I am guessing postal will add to the price and I just really want it for a pass time and not as a tool of work.
3) I want a 10+ inch one. Of course videos would be ok in a smaller one but reading books will not be as easy. Well the bigger the screen the better for me.
4) I know nothing about Android. I always thought of it as an OS. Afar from that I never looked into it, except with some comparisons when I wanted to get a smart phone and everywhere I looked pointed towards android.
5) Well as I added in my profile and mentioned before Greece :)

I will really use it for book reading, which I guess it means that it will need a word-like application which is not hard to come by, well adobe reader sometimes which is harder I guess and a picture viewer. Also I want to watch videos on it. I do not want it to be bale to play 1080p videos. That I do not care for. I want to at least though be able to watch videos that have exactly the same resolution as the highest of the screen can go without any lag from it and if not at least for the video to be watchable and not a blurry heck. I will enjoy if it will have WiFi also. Surfing through pages to look about information or other things. As it seems Flash is "kind" of hard to reproduce when I look at my cellphone or handheld gaming devices. I would enjo​y to be able to have adobe flash on it but if its going to bump up the price by a lot.. then no thank you. Also if it would have a card slot for easy file transportation I would be happy. As for the internal storage. Hmm I am not sure depends again now much getting more storage bumps the price. Well thats all I think.

Text / PDF Reader, image viewer and Watchable quality video player with secondary being internet exploring with flash support.

-Edit-

Oh and please a battery that can last for a couple of hours >.<!

Last edited:

buck1122

Jun 26, 2011
Can meet your wish list at Toys r Us for a Coby Kyros 7022 for $179.99 - but it does have a 7" screen. Got one last week and it is great. BTW Toys is the only place to buy one of these --- right now!

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
Can meet your wish list at Toys r Us for a Coby Kyros 7022 for $179.99 - but it does have a 7" screen. Got one last week and it is great. BTW Toys is the only place to buy one of these --- right now!

Haven't checked but rumor has it that best buy has these online now. I do like the replacement plan I have on it from toy a r us though.

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

weltall

Jun 27, 2011

Well if thats for me then thank you for pointing it out but >.> T.T I live in Greece and I am pretty sure ToysRUs delivers only to the countries that it has shops in. Also to tell the truth about the screen I have not seen how big a 7inch one is. I know how big a 10 inch one is from a friends notebook (which is why I do not think I want to go lower)

Haven't checked but rumor has it that best buy has these online now. I do like the replacement plan I have on it from toy a r us though.

Well I am not sure but Best Buy isn;t only for US?

Last edited:

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
Well if thats for me then thank you for pointing it out but >.> T.T I live in Greece and I am pretty sure ToysRUs delivers only to the countries that it has shops in. Also to tell the truth about the screen I have not seen how big a 7inch one is. I know how big a 10 inch one is from a friends notebook (which is why I do not think I want to go lower)

Well I am not sure but Best Buy isn;t only for US?

this tablet is rebranded. This tablet also goes by emdoor 73 or haipad m708. I'm sure you can find those on sites that will ship internationally.

weltall

Jun 27, 2011
this tablet is rebranded. This tablet also goes by emdoor 73 or haipad m708. I'm sure you can find those on sites that will ship internationally.

Thanks for the reply. I guess if I will not find a 10+ inch one I will go with haipad m708 (found a couple sites with that, but I am not sure how trustworthy they are).

noobroid

Jun 27, 2011
My budget is around $200-250. I will be using the tablet mostly to read and the purchase will actually be in place of a kindle. I'm not too keen on the "it's just like paper" experience, as long as the eyestrain is avoided I'm fine. So is a tablet good to read off of for long periods. also important of course is thickness and weight. A capacitive screen and the android market are also very desirable. Any advice will be great. Looking to buy around August-September.

robsterno1

Jun 24, 2011
Hi,

Can I also have some advice please?

I have a budget of £100ish (can stretch this a bit for the right product), and would like a tablet with minimum android 2.2. Will be using for surfin the net, so something quick would be nice, and will also be used for skype video calls, also require access to the official app market place.

Thanks in advance, Rob.

Ovion

Jun 12, 2011
OK.
Budget is about £120.
Only rquirements are 10inch screen and the ability to read books and comics on it (not fussed about bluetooth/wireless/highrametc as I just want it for a glorified e-reader)

Azmat

Jun 25, 2011
@daprospecta: I was on to MID7024 to buy. .. . I think that would be a similar device to yours... !! How are the applications on it ?? ? and which games you have played on it yet?? did u try angrybirds ?? :)

bekovan

Jun 14, 2011
Thanks all for your replies. I got down to seriously choosing between the Coby Kyros 7024 ($165) and 1024 ($265). However, while browsing Best Buy online, I saw the newly released Coby Kyros 7022 ($180). It turned out to be a great mix of my wants and needs and landed nicely under my $200 dream-pricetag. I'm waiting for it to arrive; hopefully before the end of the week!

SPECS: Samsung A8 @ 1ghz, 512mb RAM, 7" screen, CAPACITIVE touch screen, Android 2.3, protective case, stylus, etc...

Not many reviews out there yet, but more than one user reported that Flash does work, even though the packaging doesn't say yea or nay. I'll post in the appropriate section once I receive my tablet and can do some testing. Thanks again!