The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

daprospecta

Jun 16, 2011
Thanks all for your replies. I got down to seriously choosing between the Coby Kyros 7024 ($165) and 1024 ($265). However, while browsing Best Buy online, I saw the newly released Coby Kyros 7022 ($180). It turned out to be a great mix of my wants and needs and landed nicely under my $200 dream-pricetag. I'm waiting for it to arrive; hopefully before the end of the week!

SPECS: Samsung A8 @ 1ghz, 512mb RAM, 7" screen, CAPACITIVE touch screen, Android 2.3, protective case, stylus, etc...

Not many reviews out there yet, but more than one user reported that Flash does work, even though the packaging doesn't say yea or nay. I'll post in the appropriate section once I receive my tablet and can do some testing. Thanks again!

There its allot going on in the coby kyros generation 2 about this tablet

Sent from my coby kyros 70 deuce deuce.

Cholo

Jun 29, 2011
Looking to buy a budget Android tablet for the wife. My kid will use it too every now and then.

1) Used for mainly for Android App gaming - Angry Birds, Paradise Island, etc... and the occasional ebook and email
2) looking around $150
3) Dont know what specs I really need, but I dont have a problem rooting or hacking an e reader or whatever to meet my needs etc... really looking for the best bang for my buck
4) I live in the U.S., Texas to be exact

Any recommendations would be great :)

mastermonil

Mar 27, 2011
Hi guys,

Here are the details on a tablet that I would like.

1. Cheapppp. thinking 100 bucks tops. I know that might sound unreasonable but I am not looking for too much.
2. Touch screen (Capa if possible)
3. USB hosting. This is so crucial. I want to be able to connect a usb plug and play magnetic card reader, or a barcode scan gun.
4. Android (goes without saying I guess)
5. I'm somewhat computer literate i guess.
6. US based.
7. 8-10 inches is okay.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks

worldboy4

Jun 29, 2011
Hi, first year college student looking for :

Note/word processing
Internet (wifi)
Size isnt a big concern
Fast-ish Processor
Pdf/document Reading
Something in place of the small laptop id be getting in its place, just a placeholder until I get a laptop in 1-2 years
$400 max
Im currently working an IT job, so i know a bit about computers, not so much about Android and Tablets tho

Thanks

elemento911

Jul 1, 2011
I had been reading reviews/feedback on here and checking out the spec comparisons on Tablet PC Comparison for months and ended up going with the galaxy tab as well. Loving it although the battery life kind of sucks. My gf has the iPad but she always ends up asking to borrow mine. ;) Samsung makes great products all around so I felt safe with purchasing this tab. Anyways, thanks for all the great info I learned on here.

Lilluda_5

May 24, 2011
Looking to buy a budget Android tablet for the wife. My kid will use it too every now and then.

1) Used for mainly for Android App gaming - Angry Birds, Paradise Island, etc... and the occasional ebook and email
2) looking around $150
3) Dont know what specs I really need, but I dont have a problem rooting or hacking an e reader or whatever to meet my needs etc... really looking for the best bang for my buck
4) I live in the U.S., Texas to be exact

Any recommendations would be great :)

Coby Kyros MID7015 Review | Android Tablets

Hi, first year college student looking for :

Note/word processing
Internet (wifi)
Size isnt a big concern
Fast-ish Processor
Pdf/document Reading
Something in place of the small laptop id be getting in its place, just a placeholder until I get a laptop in 1-2 years
$400 max
Im currently working an IT job, so i know a bit about computers, not so much about Android and Tablets tho

Thanks
Asus Eee Pad Transformer Review | Android Tablets

rolland0

Jul 3, 2011
Hello, world. I've been wanting an android device for a while now, but I've given up on getting an android phone. I'm eager to dive into android app development and dabble in some more low-level hacking (rooting and custom ROMs and such).

1) I'll be using this to replace my iPod Nano, so I need something that can easily fit in my pocket and play my music and videos. I also want to use this as a development platform of sorts as I'm an aspiring programmer. What I want:
*A community of hackers and homebrewers for my device
*Enough power to play silly, addictive games. Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, etc.
*Decent video and audio support. Speakers aren't an issue, as I love earbuds.
*A capacitive touchscreen for multi-touch
*Flash support

2) I'd like to spend about $200, but I'm willing to go up to $300

3) It needs to be pocket-sized, so 5 inches

4) Never owned, or even used, an android device before. However, I'm a computer geek that isn't afraid to get down to the nitty-gritty details of hacking and programming. I'm somewhat familiar with Linux, I've hacked a PSP, a Wii, etc., and I'm good at following directions (especially when the life of my shiny new toy is on the line).

5) I'm in Michigan, US (and yup, that's in my profile anyway)

Thanks for any help, guys and gals :^)

Jul 4, 2011
Hi I have been looking around for a while and finally decided to ask the community.

1.) I am using this device as a Pandora/Slacker player, upnp renderer for music (video would be cool but not required). Essentially this will be a upnp renderer hooked up to my home stereo that can be directly controlled or remotely controlled from another android phone.
must have a dock
if dock does not support audio out, device must have AD2P
battery life doesn't matter because it wont be out of the dock for more than 30 to 40 minutes at a time (g/f may use it for recipes from time to time)

2.) under 200

3) can be any size

4) I am a linux user for over 10 years and I write applications mostly in php.

5) Chicago

I would have gotten a Sony Dash or Chumby but they do not support UPNP. The logitech squeezeboxes all have small displays and are pricier and less functional than an android tablet.

In the future his table may be used for development.

Lilluda_5

May 24, 2011
Hello, world. I've been wanting an android device for a while now, but I've given up on getting an android phone. I'm eager to dive into android app development and dabble in some more low-level hacking (rooting and custom ROMs and such).

1) I'll be using this to replace my iPod Nano, so I need something that can easily fit in my pocket and play my music and videos. I also want to use this as a development platform of sorts as I'm an aspiring programmer. What I want:
*A community of hackers and homebrewers for my device
*Enough power to play silly, addictive games. Angry Birds, Plants vs Zombies, etc.
*Decent video and audio support. Speakers aren't an issue, as I love earbuds.
*A capacitive touchscreen for multi-touch
*Flash support

2) I'd like to spend about $200, but I'm willing to go up to $300

3) It needs to be pocket-sized, so 5 inches

4) Never owned, or even used, an android device before. However, I'm a computer geek that isn't afraid to get down to the nitty-gritty details of hacking and programming. I'm somewhat familiar with Linux, I've hacked a PSP, a Wii, etc., and I'm good at following directions (especially when the life of my shiny new toy is on the line).

5) I'm in Michigan, US (and yup, that's in my profile anyway)

Thanks for any help, guys and gals :^)

Check out the Dell Streak 5:

Dell’s Streak 5 Review | Android Tablets

mastermonil

Mar 27, 2011
Hi guys,

I've posted before, but I actually want to completely change the specs.

Built in 3G
Capacitive Touch
USB with hosting

Low price point please. Under 200 works well for me.

At least 6 inches.

viscomm

Jul 6, 2011
Okay so ive been looking into these tablets, im struggling to decide on android or windows for starters.
i would like to use it for work and casual use.

Work:
GPS, Invoicing (if android what sort of invoicing is there?) ordering, business contact, digital business cards. diary and notes. and whatever else i need to do

casual is mainly surfing the web, watching a video or something like that. no gaming will be done, not high graphical programms will be needed.

i use windows 7 on my pc, but heard its crap for tablets, main reason i was thinking windows was for the invoicing.
android seems to be the favourite for tablets. some have 2.2 on them, does this mean they cant be upgraded to 3.0?

ive seen some rugged ones but assume they are dear.
10inch is min size screen
hdd at least 16gb more would be prefered
touch capactive and pen would be nice

would also like to use it eventually to control my home pc as well as programs to connect to media devices and tvs and such. (if possible, this would be a bonus)

thats about all ive got for now, if anyone can list some tablets along with anything else that would be great, in the mean time ill hunt around this site for more usefull tips.

thanks

Last edited:

naglee1017

Jul 6, 2011
Hi guys I've read this forum on and off for a while but looking into a new tablet and hoping you guys could help me out

1) Wanting a tablet to use as a wifi remote for my htpc. Needs to be just decent enough to run the app and be reliable at doing only one thing. Able to display graphic art album covers etc without lag
2) Spend around ~$100
3) either 7 or 10 depends on the better buy for the money
4) I don't know much about android other than having an android phone. Work in IT so would consider myself computer literate
5) From Florida USA

Last edited:

olimortimer

Jul 7, 2011
Hi, hoping someone might be able to help in my search for a Android tablet...

1) What you will be using the tablet for?
I will be installing the tablet in my car, to be used for playing music via the Spotify app; a radio app (maybe); running the Torque app via a USB to OBDII cable / bluetooth adaptor; GPS; and possibly the odd film.

2) How much you are willing to spend?
As little as possible at the moment, as it won't be used for much other than the above.

3) If you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be?
It will need to be within a certain size, which I'll find out and post shortly. I'm guessing 7" / 8" screen

4) How much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate?
I know a lot about computers, but I've never touched the Android OS

5) Please list your location somewhere
United Kingdom

Thanks! :)

Last edited:

Mizzery85

Jun 24, 2011
Researching androids for a possible purchase soon. Friend has the acer transformer and loves it but now trying to find the best for me. No rush to purchase anything right away so if it's worth waiting for a new device let me know. I'm definitely looking forward to the nVidia Kal-el chip.

1) Will be using the tablet for everything. Synology NAS management. Possible home automation (in the future). Network administration (if even possible with the android os). Wireless music management for my music throughout my house. All the other normal things; music, HD video, eReader, g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, etc... I'm a very high power user and will be wanting the best wifi or 4g (lte) tablet on the market at the time of purchasing.
2) price doesn't matter as long as I'm not compromising any features.
3) The size thing really is a big deal, but I honestly don't know what size I prefer over another. I would have to play with the available sizes and figure it out.
4) Used to know a lot about android but haven't kept up with it. But I'm in the technology world as a profession, so I am an overall advanced user.
5) Cincinnati, OH

Don't know much about the 4g tethering and options but need to read more into that for the future. I currently have an iPhone 4 and am really wanting to get away from Apple, hell I hate even owning an apple product, but the iPhone is great. I'd like to go 4G Verizon once their LTE network gets more expansive. So I'd like to start investing in the Android realm. I'm already testing Chromium so hopefully I can wrap it all together at some point.

Any feedback would be so sweet to have. You can only read so much biased reviews. Glad this community is available from professional viewpoints.

Thanks!
-Mizzery85

Anyone have any advice for me? If you can message me your responses that would be awesome.

Thanks!

lhl

Jul 7, 2011
I've spent a fair bit of time trawling around various forums, watching youtube videos, and browsing and chatting w/ vendors on AliExpress and others.
I've picked up one tablet (iRobot A9) but unfortunately, it was a bit of a dud. Maybe someone here can help with some recommendations?

Requirements:
* MUST be able to USB charge (or jerry-riggable for USB battery pack)
* Also require USB Host/OTG (keyboard) that can be plugged in simultaneously
* Rock solid wifi
* Android 2.2+
* Bluetooth
* Cortex-A8+ performance (for good browsing experience)
* 7in+ screen

Nice to haves:
* 2pt multitouch a plus
* GPS a plus
* Sunlight viewability a plus
* Water resistance a plus

I'd like to stay in the <$250 range, but if there's something compelling (say w/ a sunlight screen) willing to spend up to $500. In general, I'd rather have something with better battery-life/lower power consumption than high power once the minimum bar is reached.

Rooted is a must. Active dev, active community preferred.

I know my way around Android devices.

And I'm in the US.
I have a Dropad A8X on the way, but I figure I probably should get some collective wisdom before trying any more.