The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

unknown217

Jul 8, 2011
Hi, please help me out. I'm having a really difficult time selecting a tablet. Thank you in advance.

1) I want to use a tablet for web browsing, maps, youtube, pdf., photos eg. flickr
2) Has to be under $200
3) 10"
4) Never used android before but have no problem figuring out software.
5) Canada

QWERTY1982

Jul 11, 2011
1) What you will be using the tablet for?
I am a CCTV installer. I go and make site surveys and basically want the tablet to be good enough so that i can make notes on site for the job I will be doing. I want to be able to view PDF files, word files and excel files.
If it has a camera great.. if it does would like to be able to eidt the images on site... IE take a photo of the area and then mark on it where the cctv would be placed.
Watch movies from time to time.

2) How much you are willing to spend?
any thing around the £130-£150

3) If you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be?
Would love a 10" but 7/8 is good enough

4) How much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate?
I know a fair amount about PC's, am yet to venture in tothe Android market as cuirrently have an Iphone 4

5) Please list your location somewhere
United Kingdom

Hope you can all help me please as I have looked at sooo many im jsut stumped!"!!

Lilluda_5

May 24, 2011
I've spent a fair bit of time trawling around various forums, watching youtube videos, and browsing and chatting w/ vendors on AliExpress and others.
I've picked up one tablet (iRobot A9) but unfortunately, it was a bit of a dud. Maybe someone here can help with some recommendations?

Requirements:
* MUST be able to USB charge (or jerry-riggable for USB battery pack)
* Also require USB Host/OTG (keyboard) that can be plugged in simultaneously
* Rock solid wifi
* Android 2.2+
* Bluetooth
* Cortex-A8+ performance (for good browsing experience)
* 7in+ screen

Nice to haves:
* 2pt multitouch a plus
* GPS a plus
* Sunlight viewability a plus
* Water resistance a plus

I'd like to stay in the <$250 range, but if there's something compelling (say w/ a sunlight screen) willing to spend up to $500. In general, I'd rather have something with better battery-life/lower power consumption than high power once the minimum bar is reached.

Rooted is a must. Active dev, active community preferred.

I know my way around Android devices.

And I'm in the US.
I have a Dropad A8X on the way, but I figure I probably should get some collective wisdom before trying any more.

If you have the extra money to spend, I would recommend you spend it, but here is a cheaper option:

Coby Kyros MID7015 Review | Android Tablets

and then if you are willing to spend the money go with one of these two 10 inch screens :

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 | Android Tablets

Asus Eee Pad Transformer Review | Android Tablets

Lilluda_5

May 24, 2011
Hi, hoping someone might be able to help in my search for a Android tablet...

1) What you will be using the tablet for?
I will be installing the tablet in my car, to be used for playing music via the Spotify app; a radio app (maybe); running the Torque app via a USB to OBDII cable / bluetooth adaptor; GPS; and possibly the odd film.

2) How much you are willing to spend?
As little as possible at the moment, as it won't be used for much other than the above.

3) If you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be?
It will need to be within a certain size, which I'll find out and post shortly. I'm guessing 7" / 8" screen

4) How much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate?
I know a lot about computers, but I've never touched the Android OS

5) Please list your location somewhere
United Kingdom

Thanks! :)

I would recommend this one for you:

Coby Kyros MID7015 Review | Android Tablets

Hdale85

Jul 12, 2011
Is there a Tegra2 based device around 7-8" that is around the 200-250 range? I'm looking to do mostly web browsing, youtube, and some HD movies.

Tempus35

Jul 12, 2011
1) I am looking for a tablet that can basically do entertainment, of course I am a gadget person so I want it to also do many other things. I have my laptop for anything I need that requires more power and for programming, and of course I have a desktop for high end gaming etc. What I need is something that I can take around, do things like watch movies, surf the web, read email, misc other stuff.
2) $700
3) 10.1
4) I do know tons about computers and currently finishing a degree in computer science.
5) Colorado, US

Last edited:

pbuder

Jul 14, 2011
I have been looking at tablets and trying to decide which route to go. I have a desktop machine that is fully capable and that I do my gaming on. I have laptop that I use for everything else from computer programming, browsing, photobooking, etc. It has finally started to die and I was thinking to go netbook or tablet as replacement as I really don't need a personal laptop since I also have one provided by work (and usually am required to travel with that one and two notebooks is a pain at airport security :)

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
  • Web browsing (flash required)
  • Forums
  • Facebook/Google+
  • Streaming videos (netflix, hulu, etc)
  • Converted DVD Movie playback
  • Picasa (Photo organization)
  • Photobook compilations (usually online)
  • Note taking in meetings
  • Skype (preferred but not mandatory)
  • eReader
  • GPS for roadtrips/vacations (maybe)
2) how much you are willing to spend
$700

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
At least 7 inch

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
Android phone user for a year, have not rooted but computer literate enough to do.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
Memphis, TN

The tablets I've considered so far are Thrive, Transformer and Nook.

Thrive = I like the removable battery (have had to use the backup battery on my Droid Incredible about once or twice a month). The full size sd card and usb port is great. I like the textured back but it feels heavy and I wonder if will be an issue.

Transformer = The keyboard port really appeals to me for when I need to do lengthy typing. The addition of full size sd card and usb port with the extra battery makes me wonder if it's about the same as Thrive in that regard.

Nook = The Nook Color would be more of a 'test' really to see if a tablet is really the way I want to go without wasting a lot of money. I understand I would have to root and it would be more sluggish then a true tablet. It obviously would not be able to do skype either.

The questions I have really boil down too:
1. I could go all out on a tablet but am worried it wouldn't really be as much use to me as I think so should I try a starter tablet first this year and then go all out next year? (Nook vs Thrive/Transformer)
2. If going the full tablet, suggestions on Thrive over Transformer?
3. What about the lack of built in 3G/4G? Am I better off getting a tablet with wireless or would be rooting my Droid Incredible and using it as a wifi spot be sufficient?
4. Any other tablets I should be considering?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

puckandnatty

Jul 15, 2011
I've been researching android tablets for a while now, and I'm looking for some direction as to what to buy. First off, I'm looking for something 7" in the lower price range (around $250) that still has respectable specs- capacitive touchscreen, 600 MHz, 512 MB, etc. I want something that can run a full version of android with the complete marketplace, and potentially something that can be upgraded (2.2 or 2.3, perhaps 3.0?). I've never owned an android device, but I'm okay with upgrading, modding, etc. I mainly just want something that I can mess around with, browse the internet, play games, use media, take notes, maybe Skype? etc.

The tablets that I've narrowed down to at this point are the Coby Kyros MID7022, the Nook Color (Rooted, etc.) or perhaps the Viewsonic Viewpad 7.

I've been trying to find info about the Kyros 7022, but it seems fairly new and people on the forums here seem to be still trying to figure out the details. Otherwise, the Kyros seems ideal.
The nook color has a huge community dedicated to working on it, but I'm not sure about how it runs compared to the Coby.
Viewsonic seems to put out a pretty slick product, but I can't tell wether or not it's just an oversized android phone.

I'm also on the edge about the samsung galaxy for Verizon wireless ($199 refurbished), but I'm not sure if I want to commit to a $20 a month, 2-year data plan.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! If anyone has any experience with any of these devices, I'd love to hear what you have to say about your experience. I'm really just looking for which one has the best "feel," as I'll be ordering online, and won't have the opportunity to try them all out before I buy. Thanks for the input!

armywife85613

Jul 17, 2011
Hi all. I am new to the whole tablet thing and it is very overwhelming.

I am looking for a tablet I want to use it for watching YouTube videos, reading, playing games and browsing the web. I prefer one with a 10 inch screen (I have bad eye sight) but I can work with that. I really would like to spend around $350. I am new to Android. I am computer literate and could root with detailed instructions and I get the hang of things pretty quick. I am in the US. I would like it to have expandable memory up to 32g. A G-sensor, from what I've read, would be nice.

I have been looking at the Viewsonic G-Tab & the Archos 101, but I am so confused. Thank you in advance for any help that is thrown my way. :)

thaniz

Jul 18, 2011
Greetings.

I, or acutally we, my gf and I, are looking for our first tablet. We have a stationary computer which I mainly use, playing games etc. I also got a Samsung galaxy s, so andorid is nothing new to me. My girlfriend has been using her labtop from the bronze age, and it has now (finally) stopped working.

Instead of a new labtop we're thinking about getting a tablet instead. Sadly we do not afford to put more than 100-150 &#8364; on it, totally. She would mainly use it, for browsing the web, e-mail, fb and perhaps some reading, and I would use it occasionally.

Some wishes:

- Speed. I want it to be as fast as you get for our budget. I do not want to sit and wait for a long time when using it.
- hdmi port would be nice so we could watch movies from it on our tv.
- 3g would be a bonus.
- gps not really needed.
- I've been told to avoid all CPU.s with the name "via" in them, is this a good advice to stick with?

What do you guys think of these?
Incheon - Android 2.3 with 7 Inch Capacitive HD Touchscreen + WiFi (1GHz Telechips 8902 CPU) - US$ 169.99
&

Wholesale - Buy China Wholesale Products from Chinese Wholesalers on **********ur location is Finland.

I am grateful for all the help I can get! :)

EDIT: http://www.chinavasion.com/android-...with-7-inch-touchscreen-wifi-camera-hdmi-4gb/ a new one. this seems to be pretty much what I'm after.

Last edited:

mande01

Jul 18, 2011
Hello everyone!

My details:
1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
  • Web browsing (flash required)
  • Android market
  • Rooted
  • Picasa (Photo organization)
  • Note taking in meetings
  • Skype (preferred but not mandatory)
  • eReader - mandatory
  • GPS
  • g-sensor for rotation
  • bluetooth
  • 3G
2) how much you are willing to spend
$300

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
At least 10.1 inch

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
Very little about android, beginner with linux but experienced, very experienced with Windows, very good with hardware, would be willing to solder if really needed to. But don't want to waste time at that!

5) Please list your location somewhere.
My name is Derry from Ireland (not taking the piss)

I've been looking at this group
www.kiel.com.cn

I've got quote from them for what I'm looking for at the right price but don't know about their hardware.

ModelSizeMain specificationI/O PORTSpicture Price(USD)
K10P-110.1"10.1" 1024*600
Multi Touch screen(capacitive)
Intel® Atom N455 1.66G
2G DDR3
32G SSD
WIFI
Camera: 1.3 MEGA Pixel
Bluetooth (Optional) $5
3G (Optional) $45
Windows XP/7 and Android2.2 (Double OS)
1 x DC-in jack
1 x Audio-out
1x HDMI to RJ45 or VGA
2x USB 2.0ports 1×VGA
1 x MMC/SD/MS/MS Pro memory card slot
1x Headset jack
$320

I hope to beat down that price some more.
I'm going to jump in the next few days so if anyone knows this vendor or has experience at this stuff that would be cool.

Thanks,
Derry

Lilluda_5

May 24, 2011
1) I am looking for a tablet that can basically do entertainment, of course I am a gadget person so I want it to also do many other things. I have my laptop for anything I need that requires more power and for programming, and of course I have a desktop for high end gaming etc. What I need is something that I can take around, do things like watch movies, surf the web, read email, misc other stuff.
2) $700
3) 10.1
4) I do know tons about computers and currently finishing a degree in computer science.
5) Colorado, US

Take a look at the Transformer or Galaxy Tab. They are fine products:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 | Android Tablets

or

http://trendytablets.com/2011/05/27/asus-transformer-review/

If I were you i'd purchase the transformer just because of its removable keyboard dock. If you are more concerned about aesthetics of your tablet the Galaxy Tab is for you. There hardware and software are nearly the same to be honest.

rbarry

Jul 20, 2011
Hi all,

I'm looking for a tablet to get my daughter for her 9th bday. I want her to be able to use to go online and use her webkinz account, watch videos on cartoon network. I also want her to be able to play games like angry birds and read ebooks on it. I would rather it have a capacitive touchscreen and I want to be able to get a screen protector and a case for her to carry it in. Thanks for any suggestions