The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

ElliotLake

Jan 15, 2012
Hi there, I've spent several days browsing tablets and reviews online, and an afternoon searching here (thank you!). I want a tablet that I can use at craft fairs and farmers' markets with the Square up app for accepting credit cards. The app/device has certain requirements, and I have some wishes as well.

Square requires:

* Google Android 2.1 or higher (Note: We do not currently support Honeycomb at this time. We also cannot support any modified versions of Android at this time.)
* A 3.5mm headset jack with microphone (audio jack adaptors are not supported)
* A screen size specified as Normal or Large (Small screen sizes are not supported)
* GPS enabled
* Access to the Android Market

For me,
1) Wi-fi at least 802.11 b/g/n; Android 2.3 minimum; would need Adobe flash, the ability to not only read but edit documents, show photos to customers, watch youtube and movies; skype if possible; viewing angles matter as I've some eye problems. Email, surf, participate in the forums I am on/moderate; read ebooks, PDF's. Battery life 4 hours+. Bluetooth would be a plus, and front and back cameras and USB port, host capability; SD slot. (*whew, I don't want much, do I? ;) ) Basically, storefront/office that will fit in my apron.

2) I'd prefer to spend under $300 if possible

3) Tablet size is not a huge issue, 7" might be better for portability at shows if the screen is rotatable.

4) New to Android, fairly computer literate and always willing to learn.

5) Location is USA/Canada...do shows both sides of the border.

I've looked at Amazon tonight and these two seem possible:
10" ZEPAD Android 2.3
and
Idolian Touchtab 10

-------any guidance will be hugely appreciated!

eBandit

Jan 16, 2012
I am not sure what cheaper tablets I should consider or if I need to raise my spending amount to get what I want. Below is what I want to do etc. and I was wondering what type of specs should I look for in a tablet? Thanks!!!

I would like to be able to read ebooks like .mobi .pdf etc.

I was wondering are the 7"-8" screens too small to view pdf magazines and be able to read the text ok?

I want to be able to surf the web via WiFi (I have b/g/n router at home).

I want the tablet to be able to have flash with either an app, hack or something so I can occasionally get on Facebook apps.

I want a screen that isnt a pain to use. I have looked into Res. and Cap. screens and the Res. seems like it would not work as well. I do not want something that I have to only press in certain locations like buttons behind the screen. But I am very new to either. So advice is needed.

I do not care if it is dual core or not. I have seen $99 tablets that are dual core cpu but only around 500 mhz. I am not sure if I need to look for any graphics specs or not.

I surely will want something that takes microSD or SD cards for added storage space!

I was looking to spend up to $125, but am thinking I will raise that to around $150 or so (maybe up to $200 if it is want I want). I later on would like a tablet that you can use some sort of stylus to draw on a paint type app etc. (if such a thing is out there, but will wait for the nice features until I am ready to drop $500+ on a tablet.

I have looked at everything from $50-$150 and am not sure where to start at this point. I surely would rather spend a couple extra dollars now, than get something I do not like and regret it later. I want to be informed on specs to look for so if I see a sale or deal somewhere I can jump on it before the deal is gone. Right now I have to pass on deals because I am not sure what I need.

I know nothing about Android so far and just started looking into it. I good with PC's and all things mechanical/electrical and learn fast normally. So I am ok learning something new.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2012
Hey guys,

I have looked, and looked, at different Android tablets all over the web and got myself tied up in knots over what to buy. I'm hoping some savvy person on here can help me out with some advice. At the moment I am very tempted by either the Archos 70b Internet Tablet or the Archos 80 G9 Turbo, though the Huawei Mediapad looks reasonable as well, though I haven't found an official seller.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
= Main uses will be surfing, twitter and g+, blogging and some navigation. I have a 3g dongle and micro-usb to USB cable so I don't need 3g built in, ability to lock screen in either orientation as it will be used in bed a lot and I can only lie on my side.

2) how much you are willing to spend
= £300 absolute max, but would prefer less.

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be
- 7"

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
- I managed to put MIUI rom on my HTC Desire but that's about my limit, I'm literate enough to solve most problems on my pc.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
- Cumbria, United Kingdom

jarodp3390

Jan 16, 2012
[h=2]Advice on the tablet for me[/h]
I am looking for a quality tablet that will allow me to surf the web, do email, play games, and run game emulators like the playstation one easily. I defiantly want it to be able to run the emulators well, since that is a big reason I want to get an android over just getting an ipad. I also am looking for one that won't be beyond outdated in just a years time. Price isn't much of an obstacle but I don't want to spend money just for the sack of doing so. I was looking into the transformer prime, but with all the wifi issues, I just don't think its worth the money to pay for a misdesigned tablet. With the new tablets coming out in Q2 or late 2012, I am not sure its worth just waiting or not. Since the tablets I know will be better, but I rather not spend 600 on a tablet just because it has a quad core and a better screen. Thanks for the advice.

Things I Want in a Tablet
- Any screen size
- At least 16GB of internal space and the ability of an external SD card.
- Capacitive touchscreen, please.
- 3.5mm headphone jack.
- The ability to use some Android home replacement apps such as GO Launcher, Launcher Pro, etc.
- Wifi compatible.

Things I Want to Use the Tablet For
- Gaming. I really want to use the old console emulators. Plus gaming apps.
- Note taking.
- Media. Not so much music, but I want to view movies and videos. Also watching videos online from websites.
- eBooks. I'd like to be able to read books
- Facebook

shellye

Jan 16, 2012
TABLET FOR 4wding!

Hey all

Another newbie to tablets here and I am hoping someone can give me some advice.

I want a tablet to use on 4wd trips....it will sit in a ram mount cradle and will be used primarily for gps but I would like to instal Oziexplorer CE which is 4wd mapping software that shows 4wd tracks. The tablet will also provide us with the ability to look up accommodation etc when we are near towns via (wifi to my mobile). 7 inch plus screen

We may have a few movies on the unit to watch and of course the odd game. Also not sure about view of the screen if its a sunny day, whether there is a particular filter?? Most of the ebay units have an external plug in gps unit...not sure of the difference between external or built in...whatever gives the best reception

So priority is gps and ability to add oziexplorer. The rest I am not fussy about. Budget will come in at $150-$200 and I am currently looking at ebay

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Appreciate the assistance.

Ta

Shell

Last edited:

blaw918

Dec 27, 2011
I have a zepad. It says it will play flash but doesnt play it smoothly at all. I even have smaxtors custom rom which gets ride of extra bullcrap apps that are not needed(tablet runs much faster with this custom rom but still does do flash well at all) not sure bout the credit card app. U can get zepads on ebay for bout $150.00

Sent from my zt180 using Android Tablet Forum

dog_rescuer

Jan 17, 2012
1)
Using tablet to:
- absolute #1 use is: watch Comedy Central and network shows while on the stairmaster at the gym (where there is a glaring overhead light)
- also to watch Netflix, maybe Hulu/Prime.
- Youtube.
- reading books, magazines, websites
- Had picked Le Pan II but it doesn't have USB. This is a concern, yes?
- also looking for keyboard case all-in-one to carry it
- do not care about gps. Only care about bluetooth if it's important to above requirements.

Minimum 8, prefer 10

4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate
I know a lot from reading Amazon looking for a tablet, but a little compared to most tablet experts.
Otherwise very computer literate.

5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way)
New Hampshire, US

eBandit

Jan 16, 2012
I have a zepad. It says it will play flash but doesnt play it smoothly at all. I even have smaxtors custom rom which gets ride of extra bullcrap apps that are not needed(tablet runs much faster with this custom rom but still does do flash well at all) not sure bout the credit card app. U can get zepads on ebay for bout $150.00

Sent from my zt180 using Android Tablet Forum

What specs do I need to look for to be able to play flash fairly decent? Anything I want to look out for that is a no-no etc...?

Lolliegee

Jan 13, 2012
Hi! Hoping for some help in figuring out what to get.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps
I basically want a tablet to replace the computer. I've got kids and it seems like I hardly ever get to actually get on the computer and a laptop is too big. I'm always nursing or have someone in my lap. I need it to do Flash, Netflix, Nook or Kindle and game apps, would love it compatible with an external keyboard for those times I really need to type a lot. Would really like it to interface well with the internet when using desktop sites. External memory is a must. I bought a Kindle Fire to try it out, but the lack of external memory was a deal-breaker, when I quickly started using up the "app" memory and had only installed a handful of apps. I've been looking at the Nook Tablet, but I'm not sure if it'll satisfy what I want. 8 GB internal should be the minimum memory. The Kindle Fire claimed to have a super fast internet app with it's "silk" technology, but I found it to be incredibly slow, no matter what wi-fi I was on. So using Dolphin would be great as well. Oh yeah, and a capacitive touch-screen.

I spent $200 on the Kindle Fire. I could spend $250 right now. If I need to, I can wait and save longer, but would really like something now.

Obviously, I'm willing to go with a 7", but bigger would definitely be better.

I've had an Android phone for over a year, switched to the Incredible 2 in November. I'm pretty computer literate and rooting a tablet is an option for me, although I don't know a whole lot about it yet, but am not afraid to do the research and figure it out.

Hopefully, I've given enough info to help me out. I realize I'm wanting diamonds on a nickel budget, but hey, one can hope, right? :D

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:

alindenman

Jan 18, 2012
I am looking for any tablet that has or will be able to upgrade to ICS, has a front-facing camera, gps, HD screen, good for games, ebook reading, and movies. I am a student so also being able to plug in accessories would be nice. I'm new to the Android game, but good with computers. Just looking for a happy medium between my laptop and iPod touch that can do the best of both worlds. Looking to spend between $250 - $350. I'm leaning towards the Acer Iconia A200. Any suggestions?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I am looking for any tablet that has or will be able to upgrade to ICS, has a front-facing camera, gps, HD screen, good for games, ebook reading, and movies. I am a student so also being able to plug in accessories would be nice. I'm new to the Android game, but good with computers. Just looking for a happy medium between my laptop and iPod touch that can do the best of both worlds. Looking to spend between $250 - $350. I'm leaning towards the Acer Iconia A200. Any suggestions?

In that price range you have a lot of choices, though the A200 looks to be a solid midrange tablet. It looks like most newer devices, such as the Asus and Acer tablets, as well as some Samsung devices should get ICS. I hear the wifi xoom is getting ICS now, which should be very cool for Motorola fans out there.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

RyanEJ25

Jan 18, 2012
Im looking for a ICS tablet

Tell us:

General use i.e. Eamil, angry birds, flash, netflix, groupon etc AND web browsing of course. Using WIFI IPS screen is a plus, USB ports, SD card.

looking about 200 max

10.2in

I want ICS 4.0 or above and have a rooted droid x running cm9 (ICS)

Southern Cali

I really like the novo 7 aurora but i want a 10.2in screen. here is a link to one i found but idk because it doesnt list a name brand for it. I asked about android market but its Chinese new year and probably wont get a response till end of the month. Any other recommendations?
http://www.chinaewindow.
net/the-first-102-inch-capacitance-screen-tablet-pc-android-40-cortexa9-12ghz-ddr31gb4g-flash-memory-p-4587.html

Last edited:

theo86

Jan 17, 2012
after the latest post i'm torn between these 2 can you dvivise me: ARNOVA 10 8GB or Mpman MP 1027 can you help me? just regular use, msn, watch vedoes stream, nothing special..

0mfgroflmao

Jan 18, 2012
Hi guys.

1) what you will be using the tablet for?
Reading textbooks and doodling (mspaint etc with a stylus).

2) how much you are willing to spend?
About $200

3) what the size of the tablet should be?
I would prefer a 10" as I already have a smart-phone and there seems little point getting a 7"

4) how much you know about Android
I've had 3 android phones and am no stranger to rooting/flashing ROMs etc.

5) Please list your location somewhere
New Zealand, obviously I won't be buying local lol.

I've spotted a couple at merimobiles, they any good?
Zenithink ZT280-C10 / Zepad C91 10.1 inch ICS 4.0
HK-10K 10inch Android 4.0 Amlogic AML8726-M ARM Cortex™-A9 1.2GHZ Tablet PC 4GB
Rdit, also found this one - http://www.pandawill.com/ployer-mom...ew-12ghz-cpu-8gb-2160p-hdmi-white-p54256.html

I want ICS, capacitive screen and WIFI, not worried about much else, if these are available cheaper elsewhere or anyone knows something better please let me know.

Last edited:

mtrc

Jan 19, 2012
Hey, AT.net! This looks like the perfect place to ask for some advice, let me know if you want any more info off me - any recommendations appreciated!

I'm a PhD student working with videogames design, and I'm interested in porting some of my work to Android tablets (all 2D games). I need a good all-rounder, as it'll be used for general browsing and some low-fi gaming too. Since I'll be dev'ving, I need a tablet that is bang up to date with Android versions, and hopefully will stay that way.

My supervisor is also looking for an Android tablet to work on. His work is more processor intensive, and I imagine he'll be doing some typing work on there too, so a hefty processor, a good screen size and a keyboard dock option would be good for him.

Our budget is flexible, but I imagine between £350-500 per tablet would be good. Leeway either way is fine.

For myself, the size of the Galaxy 10.1 looks good.

For my supervisor, he's used to iPad-sized screens, I think anything much smaller would be a problem.

We're both proficient Java programmers, and have used Android devices a little in the past. Other members of the research group have Android experience.

London, UK

Thanks in advance, guys, good advice on these topics is hard to come by.

Last edited: