The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

magician2905

May 31, 2012
Beng165, Ainol are nice devices - i have the 7" Advanced. Downside to Ainol is that they tend to list and de-list products on a ridiculously frequent basis. Currently i think they have 4 x 7" devices "on market" so without a doubt they will de-list one or more soon.

The support for them is very good on the forums - lots of roms/rooting out there.

Google Nexus is almost certainly to be better spec in terms of CPU - for the rest of the specs no one is really certain until it is officially announced. Its really going to depend where the price is for the EU - its ok saying its going to be $199 in the states, but that could mean almost anything in the EU - most likely is £199/€199 but you never know it could be around the £150/€150 bracket too.....

At £150 you could just about squeeze a 9.7" device probably with 1GB RAM & 8GB ROM, but it is unlikely to be dual core.

As to Androidmall - sorry i have no idea, have never used them.

jschway

Jun 14, 2012
Great Thread!

1. My wife has an iphone and loves apple... (I have a Galaxy S 2 and see the power of android)
2. She wants to replace your laptop with a tab
3. She needs a real keyboard (Dock or bluetooth)
4. She uses the internet for her business (website orders, email)
5. She needs to open, edit and resend office .doc (This is the big one)
6. PDF
7. She wants to look at pictures, edit and post to facebook. (Most pictures are on our office computer)
8. $600 is max im willing to spend.
9. I can wait a couple month for something new to come out.
10. It has to be fast, easy and work all the time.
11. She also said that she wants to beable to copy and paste in facebook?? (I guess Iphone does not do this...)
12. I live in the US... (Mississippi)
13. 10" seems best.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

JimBalo

Jun 14, 2012
I am looking for a "root-friendly" tablet, 10", Android 4.x (ICS), with USB connectivity, of decent quality, but does not have to be overly fancy. Preferably no more than about $400.

I am writing a simple app for internal business use that will be used by customers to register with their name, address, etc. The tablet will be mounted in various stores that can be quite far away from where I am, so I need to be able to remote control the tablets for support purposes. The only way I can find is to install VNC Server, which requires root.

I want to be sure I get tablets that I can keep updated with minimum risk of losing root in the future.

I like the Samsung Galaxy 2 10.1" and the ASUS Transformer, but I have no idea of their track record in root friendliness. I am open to other brands, of course.

Any help on this would be great!

Thanks!

threecaster

Jun 16, 2012
1) what you will be using the tablet for....

Connectivity. Barcode data & data entry for inventory, then shared wifi (or bluetooth) to base server database, to enter new item or update existing, including photo, description, auto gps location stamp, etc...

Computer Vision image recognition

Remote Control (for what? umm....name it...)

Interpret Data from arduino, receiving telemetry from vehicle ECU and use Automotive Digital Dash app (or read OBDII)

Dual Boot into Debian (or other hysterical nonsense)

Hack the crap out of Gingerbread or ICS to purge it of all the annoying bu!!sh!t.

Keep Dreaming

2) how much you are willing to spend?

Um....I thought I was getting -paid- for this.....please explain...

3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be

Oh, I have LOTS of ideas, but for size, 7" is right on, as this thing is likely to be an umbilical, but needs to bounce and get picked right back up :)

4) a) how much you know about Android, or b) just whether or not you are computer literate

a)
new to 2.3, ICS is only a rumor for me. Own a freshly rooted LGL55c, but can't even find an .apk directly if you asked me. (but I can freeze it tho!)
b) i'm a quick study. cut my teeth in 1987 on Unix mainframe (but nowhere near l33t...) can't even remember most basic commands, but broad concepts are plentiful. :)
plus I'm too dumb to know when I'm in over my head...(or too stupid to know when to quit!)

5) Please list your location somewhere.

Are you looking for a cultural reference? or some coordinates for positioning in time and relative dimensions in space?

Oh, I understand.....my location has now been listed in the rom of an electronic bus station sign, somewhere in Budapest...

Strange, but cool...did I pass the test?

threecaster

Jun 16, 2012
Srsly,

I had my eye on the Asus Memo 370...but watched as was eaten by Google. This makes me un-excited :(

Samsung is nice, but tre' spensive!

But all the sensors are very desireable. Data is good. Data is our friend.

I'm willing to sacrifice weight if it has a durable COMMON USB connection.

IOW a durable package for field use and good battery life is what I need.

Hacking the OS is one thing, but I'd like to know I can start over if I brick the damn thing.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

McJendy

Jun 16, 2012
Hello
1 - Internet, email, e-books, word docs, maps, Skype, BBC iplayer.
2 - under £150
3 - 8 inch
4 - I have a wildfire running Android 2.2

Would prefer ICS.
Needs to have Bluetooth so I connect a Bluetooth GPS or have a built in GPS

Thanks

jamesensor

Jun 16, 2012
Hi everyone, I've been doing some research about what should I get for a tablet.

Currently I'm up for the Aurora II. It has google market pre-installed, and only the elf II model had it. Seems also that this one can recharge connected to a pc usb (if the cpu mx = m6 concerning the voltage, I read somewhere here). Mentioning the market, I think this probably will be the better stock rom they made comparing to the other models of this line. Also the ips screen is a plus. Now, the great factor in all of this is the price. I've seen in a recommended store from an admin at apad's, the deals prime site, that they are selling it at a nice price, so this is excellent. I was previously researching for a cube u30gt and the onda elite models but they're too expensive. The difference seems the gpu, with rockchip in the Cube model. But around 200$ it's too much and it seems a custom rom is a must-have.

Anyway, what I'll do with it: browse the news, go on youtube, gmail, listen music with headphones, play some movies and games. About games, I'll go with dosbox, some other emulators and kairosoft games. I have a samsung gio and the game Dune, Cd version, of dosbox stutters in the sound department.. (I also tested it in a thl v9 and it works fine, but on a tablet the experience must be much better). I wonder how it will work with GP2 lol...

So, do the shop where I'll be ordering seems ok and the tablet corresponding to my needs? Seems an ok choice, no?

Thank you for creating this thread, seems it was the right thing to do by the admins! Cheers.

What do the experienced users think?

Last edited:

cmick30

Jun 17, 2012
Hi, people! :)
I am new to Android and tablets... However, recently I started using Galaxy Note N7000, the famous "phablet", and I love it to bits... Now, in two months, or so, I plan to go and visit my sisters family in Stuttgart, Germany... Her son is 5.5 years old and I was thinking of getting him a 7" or 8" tablet, Android tablet OFC :), and find and install apps to help him learn alphabet, and words and do stuff that will help in school too... Plus, install few mind challenging games... :) Which one do you thing would fit the bill (cca £100 ) ?

tcfulmer

Jun 18, 2012
Another noob here. I have some Amazon gift cards to use up and thought a tablet would be nice to have. Just looking for something that I can check e-mail on, surf the web, and maybe let the kids play games on in the car. I know these are more expensive at Amazon but like I said, have cards there.

The models I have been looking at are:
Zenithink C71 ZT-282 Amazon.com: NEW 7-inch Zenithink C71 ZT-282 Upgrade_8GB STORAGE_1GB RAM_Capacitive_Android 4.0.3 Tablet PC_WEBCAM: Computers & Accessories
Freelander PD10 http://www.amazon.com/PD10-FreeLand...UTF8&coliid=I2GLFS5EIVMBHE&colid=ORKR72IQO85F
Onda Vx610W http://www.amazon.com/Onda-onda-Del...UTF8&coliid=I1VF1SVZX50Q6B&colid=ORKR72IQO85F

Would anyone care to comment why I would or would not want any of these?

m4verick

Oct 29, 2010
I'm looking for a 9" or bigger tablet for my kids to play videos in my car.

Requirements:
- 9" or bigger screen
- Good screen to watch video outside.
- Decent speakers.
- Up to $200 (if possible).

Thanks for any advise.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Another noob here. I have some Amazon gift cards to use up and thought a tablet would be nice to have. Just looking for something that I can check e-mail on, surf the web, and maybe let the kids play games on in the car. I know these are more expensive at Amazon but like I said, have cards there.

The models I have been looking at are:
Zenithink C71 ZT-282 Amazon.com: NEW 7-inch Zenithink C71 ZT-282 Upgrade_8GB STORAGE_1GB RAM_Capacitive_Android 4.0.3 Tablet PC_WEBCAM: Computers & Accessories
Freelander PD10 http://www.amazon.com/PD10-FreeLand...UTF8&coliid=I2GLFS5EIVMBHE&colid=ORKR72IQO85F
Onda Vx610W http://www.amazon.com/Onda-onda-Del...UTF8&coliid=I1VF1SVZX50Q6B&colid=ORKR72IQO85F

Would anyone care to comment why I would or would not want any of these?

Check out the ICOO D50 at Amazon. There are lots of grumblings over Zenithink tablets here so you might want to really check that out before dropping the dime on one. The other two brands may be very good brands though I have only heard of them.
The ICOO tablet is very inexpensive but at the same time works surprisingly well.

2cool4me4

Jun 29, 2012
Hello. I'm new here, and am looking at the following three tablets. All have 1ghz processors, 1 Gig of ram, are about the same price, but still are very different.
First up, the Coby Kyros MID7042 @ Newegg: Here
Next up, the Archos Arnova 7 G3 @ Amazon: Here
Finally, the Ainol Novo7 ??? @ Amazon (I'm not sure whether to trust this): Here
EDIT: Another one, the Ainol Novo7 Tornados @ Amazon (I like this one): Here
I would definitely like Google Apps, but only some of these tablets feature. Hacky time!

Or, should I go with this: The Velocity Micro Cruz PS47. It has 512 Megs of RAM instead. I'm not really sure about this one. It's @ newegg: Here

This is going to be used for many purposes, including but not limited to:
Gaming
Web Browsing
Music playing
Other Media Playing

I am looking to spend less than $100 on a tablet, but have a bit of pull...
It should be 7 inches, that seems to be a good size.
If I know enough to hack these tablets, I'm sure you know my knowledge.:rolleyes:
I live in the Midwest US.

Oh, yes, I really prefer android ICS, but I could be persuaded.

Last edited:

Kontiki

Jun 30, 2012
I am looking to buy a couple of 7" tablets (wife wants one as well :rolleyes:) mainly to replace our ageing Dell Axims PDA's but also to use instead of our netbooks. Our use tends to be surfing the web, facebook (playing games), reading ebooks, some general computing. Usually make do with free programs/games rather than buying the latest stuff.

Waited in anticipation for the Google Nexus but disappointed that it doesn't have a SD slot but also in the cost for the UK £159 ($249 for the 8Gb model :eek:) so back to looking at the cheap Chinese alternatives. Getting confused about the specs to price of some, every time I seem to find something nice at a reasonable price I seem to find reviews rubbishing it. I have been looking at the FreeLander PD20 Olympic - 7 Inch TV DVB-T GPS Android Tablet , it seems to have everything including digital TV, GPS, front & rear camera, etc..... at around £80. It seems though that I would have to get it from China, only bought low cost items before so not sure what happens about taxes & import duty. Concerned about any issues if we have a problem dealing with someone that far away & which is the safest way to buy paypal or credit card.

Is there any simple explanation about the processors as to their limitations, good bad points, performance. Being from an older generation (an old DOSser PC) still think that more RAM & storage the better but is it better to go for higher quality:confused:

Last edited:

jrt4

Feb 4, 2012
I am new also & am looking to buy my first tablet, I do have a £50 voucher for Amazon,but I amnot bothered if I dont purchase from there, I am looking at an 8 inch or upwards tablet I would like it to have ICS 4.0 & bluetooth,it would be used for playong the odd game on,surfing the net,general stuff really.
I have see the Ampe A90 & do like that,so probably something similar to that, I need advice on where to buy as well,some of the websites only offer a 30 day warranty & the buyer is responsible for paying for returns............ Oh & I have about £150 to spend.
Thank you, Katie.