The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

mommymack

Mar 4, 2011
I am just starting to look for a tablet and see if what I want is even feasible.

1) My iPod touch was just stolen and I am looking to replace it. I mainly used it to watch Netflix and videos and read books after my husband was asleep. my 3 kids also used it to play educational games and watch videos. I don't need GPS, camera is a nicety but not necessary, same for bluetooth. I have a T-Mobile myTouch 4G w/flash but it is disappointing for the games and videos (like nbs.com or abc.com) - is it any better (less choppy) on tablets? Are there any that are Netflix compatible yet? I'm not looking for 3G, I do not want a contract, but wi-fi is important.
2) I would probably shoot to stay under $300-350
3) 7" would be ideal
4) I have had an Android phone (MyTouch 4G) for a few months and consider myself to be fairly computer literate, especially w/good support. Haven't rooted anything but would be willing to.
5) located in the US

If I can't find what I am looking for I will get another iTouch, but I love my android phone and would love a small tablet. The iPad is too big for what I want.

Thanks so much in advance, I have no idea where to start looking.

Swingman

Feb 10, 2011
I would think choppiness with netflix is more likely connection speed rather than device but just a guess. Watching videos should look better on a bigger screen (unless connection causes the video resolution to be poor).

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
Mommymac , Check the Elocity A 7,at $299.00 before you buy anything. Same hardware as Xoom, Best 1080 HD output and viewing for movies and games ,Smooth as you can get! I am watching free movies from Amazon Prime on mine with their 30 day free trial deal going on. Picture is clear and my internal stereo speakers sound good, Bluetooth headphone works just great with it!. Go to Elocitynow.com to see it. I like mine, I reccomend it to everyone who wants the latest tech. best picture, fastest Duo core Tegra2 processor, $400.00 less than Xoom and I Pad2.

JF7FSU

Mar 4, 2011
OK here is my deal. I am an iPhone 4 user and do not want an iPad. I am jailbroken and use MyWi to tether to other devices. I am interested in an Android Tablet that is around $300-$350. I need to be able to hack the Droid to use Ad-Hoc so I can tether to my iPhone. I would like a better screen to play movies and size is not a huge factor (small is ok) I do not need a camera at all. I mainly want it to surf, watch movies, play games, and app usage. I am new to Droid's but will root and not afraid to tinker at all if needed. I looked at the Nook Color and thought it was pretty good for what I want, just not sure if there is an Ad-Hoc hack out there for it. Is there some Droids others I should be looking at in this range or even less or more?

dr.porsche

Mar 5, 2011
Hello all! I am a newbie to this site but am familiar with Android. I am looking for a 7 inch or 8 inch tablet running 2.2, must have Flash, a capable processor, 512mb, 2 or 4GB flash memory and access to the App Market. I am hoping to be less than $250USD. My concerns are the display size and the resolution. I don't want to purchase something that I won't be able to run apps on. Unfortunately, I don't fully understand why apps won't run on the 8 inch and would really appreciate it if someone could explain that to me along with the recommendation. Thanks for all of your help, this site is amazing.

Jeff

Thatoneguy

Feb 23, 2011
Currently own a tablet, coby 7015 rooted and flashed of course, but was curious as to what more experienced members might recommend.
Looking for-
Video out of some sort
Bluetooth
7 inch screen
Multi touch preferred
Sd card expandable
Video playback/media capabilities
Wifi
Market or at least be rootable to load market

Around 150-200. is there such thing, or should I wait 6 months for the galaxy tab to drop in price?

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@JF7FSU The workaround to adhoc connections like MyWi is painful on most Android tablets, but there's an easy fix for Nook Color. I think you are set.

@dr.porsche I recommend the Archos 70 IT for minimal tinkering, and the Nook Color for other people who do not mind the extra work involved.

@Thatoneguy The Coby has the best video playback in the low-end, and is unmatched all the way up to $300 with the Archos 70 or 101 IT. If you want to wait for better devices and can do so, I would recommend that, especially if your priority is video playback.

LongDuckDong

Mar 7, 2011
Thanks in advance for helping.

I need only a couple things:

The ability to tether to my EVO
WiFi
Microsoft Office capability (need to be able to read and edit excel worksheets of some complexity)
Internet Explorer - must have, we use a web-based product that only works in IE.

Past that, open to whatever.

Thanks

synaptyc

Sep 22, 2010
Hey gang,
Needing a bit of advice!

1a) Wife wants a good 10" tablet without breaking the bank.
1b) WANTED FEATURES: Android 2.2+, ebooks, movies (without having to trans-code evey movie), Google Market.
1c) Hardware needs: GOT TO BE SEXY LOOKING!, Capacitive screen, g-sensor, compass, bluetooth, webcam, GPS would be nice but not mandatory.
2) Price $350 or under shipped.
3) 10" ...i told her smaller was better... but she just rolled her eyes at me =(
4) Android/Windows knowledge = highly advanced. If it can be done, I can do it.
5) I am in the Nashville, TN. area.

Thanks for the help!
~Syn

jyams

Feb 20, 2011
Mommymac , Check the Elocity A 7,at $299.00 before you buy anything. Same hardware as Xoom, Best 1080 HD output and viewing for movies and games ,Smooth as you can get! I am watching free movies from Amazon Prime on mine with their 30 day free trial deal going on. Picture is clear and my internal stereo speakers sound good, Bluetooth headphone works just great with it!. Go to Elocitynow.com to see it. I like mine, I reccomend it to everyone who wants the latest tech. best picture, fastest Duo core Tegra2 processor, $400.00 less than Xoom and I Pad2.

Good recommendation. FYI, at CES the Elocity rep let it slip that the A7 is being upgraded this summer with a higher resolution multi-touch screen and a few other smaller changes, including Honeycomb (Android 3.0 for tablets). This will follow the release of the new A10, 10 inch version which is available now via preorder at J&R and others for $430 (est).

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@dr.porsche
More about 800x600 devices...

Developers target applications for a specific platform, typically phones with a resolution of 800x480. 4:3 devices with 800x600 resolution have not been popular, and does not even match the aspect ratio of existing apps. As a result, while most apps will scale, others that can become quite broken due of the difference in aspect ratio and resolution.

Cortex A8 tablets do not cost much more to manufacture than the cheaper ones if you think about it, but usually those manufacturers spend nothing on customer support. Some manufacturers do too much cost cutting, and as a result the products are simply no good.

@LongDuckDong Froyo hotspots run in infrastructure mode, so anything will do. But Internet Explorer does not run on any Android device. Buy yourself a netbook or a Windows tablet.

@synaptyc Archos 101 IT. No GPS. Android market is an easier addon than most tablets.

keesor

Mar 7, 2011
Ok, here's what I'm looking for:

10" Tablet
Bluetooth
Wi-Fi b/g/n
Able to be rooted to Honeycomb (not a complete deal buster)

I'm not going to specify a price range but what is the cheapest route I could go on this and still have a quality tablet? Would I be better off to wait a month or two? I'm kind of looking at the Viewsonic G Tablet???

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Last edited:

Zonino

Mar 4, 2011
Hi, I'm an Australian living in Sweden (moved here for the sun and surf :D) I'm looking to buy a tab. I have a HTC desire (although I did actually want a nexus one but they weren't available in Sweden) and I love the android platform. I don't know a massive amount about android but I learning, I'm doing a little self educating on app building for android cause I find that sort of thing interesting and fun!
I'm not a computer wiz but I do have a slightly higher understanding of computers than the average person.
I want a tab so I can sit and read mail, surf, facebook, watch films, listen to music etc.
I have a server at home on my network and I'd like to be able to brouse the server, listen to music, open documents, videos and even print documents on my server printer. from it. My whole system is wireless,
I would like about a 10" tab with usb, wifi, headphone jack, gps and g-sensor.
I want to be able to upgrade software when ungrades become available.
As for budget, I don't want to set a limit, I'd rather spend a little more and buy a good machine rather than be pissed off that I didn't spend the extra $200 a month later (not that that's EVER happened before) ;)
I like toys & gadgets but I love when a machine does something well rather than a machine that does everything mediocre!
I've seen a couple tabs here in Sweden but not too fantastic, one of them was the easypad 1000 but that was a great machine for someone who was deaf blind and dumb and had no hands! (yes it a piece of S#@T) hehehehe...
Thank you in advance, I hope you got all you need let me know if I've left anything out.
p.s. I also hope that joining this forum will expand my understanding of android in general :D

synaptyc

Sep 22, 2010
@synaptyc Archos 101 IT. No GPS. Android market is an easier addon than most tablets.

Thnx for the tips Xaueious. I believe I will go for the Viewsonic G Tablet over the Archos 101 based on this Youtube comparison:
...I wonder if the Viewsonic Viewpad 10 will be upgradeable to Android 2.2+ ??? (hybrid Android/Windows7 tablet)

The VGT will keep my wife off my back until Christmas =)
...now... what to get for the girlfriend :confused:

PS: i found a pretty good deal at FatWallet to get the Viewsonic G Tablet NEW for $354.24 shipped!
( http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1077933/ )

Last edited by a moderator:

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
@keesor gTablet is right

@Zonino Get the Motorola Xoom wifi version. I don't even have an alternative for you, unfortunately.

@synaptyc I was only recommending the Archos over the gTablet for the video support, especially if it is for the wife. A gTablet would be an excellent toy for yourself though.