The One 'Do I Buy This', 'What Do I Buy', 'I'm Looking For' Thread

tonyno

May 2, 2011
Here is what I am looking for. Please help me out and if you can point me to the right place to buy it.

1) what you will be using the tablet for. list any features you need, such as g-sensor, gps, bluetooth, Adobe Flash, or any specific apps. Play games, Surf the net, Watch videos and go on youtube, and skype call.
2) how much you are willing to spend. I am willing to spend max $200
3) if you have an idea, what the size of the tablet should be. At least 7 inch and up
4) how much you know about Android, or just whether or not you are computer literate. I can root and update ROM
5) Please list your location somewhere. (You should really include it in your profile, by the way). I live in Canada

Jun 2, 2011
Hi, I'm new to the forums and new to Android tablets. I have no experience with them, but have been doing some research which is how I came upon this site.

I basically want a tablet so I can lay in bed and surf the net, read ebooks, maybe play a few games like Angry Birds, check emails, twitter and facebook from home. I don't need speed or the latest and greatest, I can't justify the cost when I have a perfectly good PC and this is just for convenience. The one I have picked out has 3G capability, so I might use it if I go on vacation, if I can figure out how that works.

The one I've chosen is: Google Android 2.2 7 inch Tablet PC Game Book AMLogic A9-800MHZ-512MB-4GB-HD-Flash 10.1-3D Game - DinoDirect.com and along with it I got the leather case with keyboard and a 2GB SD card, although I think I'll get a larger card to keep in there for more storage although I don't anticipate really needing that much.

This unit hasn't shipped yet, so I can cancel it if it's a bad choice, I'd be interested in any thoughts you may have or anything I might want to be aware of or can expect.

Thanks so much!

Lori

robjrock

Mar 29, 2011
Thanks for the link! The two might be two variations on the same model I think. The link I posted from Allie has 3G built in, which is a huge plus for me personally. It is advertised as Android 2.3 (vs 2.2 from Merri) but we all know how reliable such things can be. I emailed the seller and he confirmed it has multi-touch and internal 3G. The battery size on the two tablets is listed differently too.

Damn I'm so close to pulling the trigger on this badboy...

pjsomers

Jun 3, 2011
Hello
I am very new and not really up to scratch here. I live in Melbourne Australia and am looking to get an android tablet 10" mainly for an electronic diary, internet access and business apps. I am looking to spend around $300. I will be using it for work on the road so it needs to have a long battery life and a large memory.
PLEASE HELP!!!

fabis

Jun 3, 2011
robjrock, thanks for this link. I saw this model on allymobile recently, but the price is 267$ for 3g version, MID S18 - Allymobile whole sale supplier So, knowing that allymobile has the same reputation as alli seller I think that your link is very appropriate for me. And maybe I'm the second one who want to buy it right now :)

morrighu

Jun 3, 2011
Looking for advice on what to purchase.

Budget: I've got $400 to spend.

Technical Skill Level: I have a rooted Samsung Epic and I've rooted almost all the other android devices in the office for my cowokers. I'm an IT geek by trade.

Physical Features: I'd really like a way to transfer files like Design Layouts, Ebooks, large memos, etc. to the tablet from my desktop or laptop, preferably via USB.

What I need it to do: What I have is a honking 8# uber-laptop (Don't hate but it has 16GB of RAM and 1 1/2TB of disk) that I don't want to have to carry to meetings, on the train, etc. Upper management thinks that slim and light = better so I need something less clunky for presentations. It needs to look good so that the IT dept continues to look "high tech" and flash is required since our website uses it. I'd like to be able to do email, meeting minutes, calendar entries, etc. I'd also like to be able to surf when I'm connected and read documents and ebooks when I'm not. An anti-glare screen for use outside, on the train, etc. would be awesome.

Connection Requirements: WIFI only is completely acceptable since I'm really not inclined to sign up for another service plan.

moley10

Jun 1, 2011
robjrock, thanks for this link. I saw this model on allymobile recently, but the price is 267$ for 3g version, MID S18 - Allymobile whole sale supplier So, knowing that allymobile has the same reputation as alli seller I think that your link is very appropriate for me. And maybe I'm the second one who want to buy it right now :)

if only anyone knew what this was, so can definately flash custom roms etc, i would definately have hit the buy button to!

fabis

Jun 3, 2011
Actually I'll not buy from this seller because of the this feedback
Unreliable supplier. I made the purchase and later, I received e-mails where I was informed that it had no product and I switch to a more expensive and pay the difference. This was the second time that the company acted this way with me. They should have done this also with other buyers. I always buy in China and they are usually correct. This company does not. Here in Brazil has already been given warning about their attitude
So, since the pictures of this tablet looks like a 3D prototype without working screen, I think this lot is like a hook to pay the money for buying another one (more expensive) after 'not in stock' message. Feedbacks looks a lot better from this seller. But the total price is less attractive for me. So maybe I'll buy from this guy But hopefuly I'll find a bit cheaper analogue. :)

Jun 5, 2011
Ok. I'll be the first one.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Flash, Wi-Fi, and multi-touch. 7-10 inch size should do the trick. Preferably a budget model since this is for my children. So far, the least expensive I've found is aPad A8 at $160ish, but I'm not sure that it's capable of multi-touch. I have rooted a Droid Eris, following well-laid out and simple instructions. I'm comfortable rooting a device if I need to in order to increase functionality. However, I would need a robust dev community who has clear instructions laid out and volunteer support ready to answer questions. I know some devices are more hack-friendly than others. I'm even ok with waiting until March/April to see what shakes out in the up and coming market.

Any suggestions?
I see these posts are a little old. Considering that we are into June 2011, have their been improvements with newer units (7" preferably) capable
of running Flash? As this would be a starter unit I would like to spend between 150-250 unless this not achievable. I'm only looking for wi-fi as this will be an at home unit.
Also are there any sites that do price point comparrisons?
Thanks for any help.
WWG

Jun 2, 2011
I see these posts are a little old. Considering that we are into June 2011, have their been improvements with newer units (7" preferably) capable
of running Flash? As this would be a starter unit I would like to spend between 150-250 unless this not achievable. I'm only looking for wi-fi as this will be an at home unit.
Also are there any sites that do price point comparrisons?
Thanks for any help.
WWG

It doesn't seem as if anyone is minding this thread anymore. Too bad I could have really used some help.

I found this unit: Google Android 2.2 7 inch Tablet PC Game Book AMLogic A9-800MHZ-512MB-4GB-HD-Flash 10.1-3D Game - DinoDirect.com

It seems to have pretty much everything, it has flash and wifi. Like you I only want to use it at home, although the option to have 3G is nice if I decide I want to use it on vacations. The price point is good, I googled and found a discount code so I got an additional 5% off so I'm happy.

I just wish I could find someone knowledgeable to let me know if this is as good a choice as it appears to me.

Hope you find something!

Lori

beastman

May 8, 2011
Viewsonic. Had announced a 7" tablet. I have a viewsonic 10".

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

smokingman

Jun 6, 2011
I'm looking for a 7-8" for under $200 US. Will be used mostly for browsing and as an e-reader. Must have a capacitive screen and support flash. There's seems to be a few new ones around that look interesting:
The renesas/rena 3 (reviewed here: Video Review: Renesas Tablet (RENA3/Opad) Dual-Core A9 | MP4 Nation Blog )
Ainol Novo 8 (looks good but battery life is only 3 hours apparently)
Mystery tablet with GPS: Wholesale Fashion design! HOT SELL 7 inch Capacitive Android 2.2 A8 S5PV210 Built in GPS Tablet pc

The last tablet could be interesting but I wouldn't get anything of aliexpress without some reviews first

mattlokk

Jun 7, 2011
1) Looking to build an android powered car stereo double-din head unit out of a mechless receiver and an android device. Needs to be able to play music, have built-in GPS (with decent reception), and able to run Google Navigate or something similar. Wifi only would be fine.
2) $200 - $300
3) A double-din car stereo bay is 7" x 4" and the device would need to sit in that with enough room left over for a volume knob. I think it would need to be about a 5" screen to accommodate this.
4) Dabbled in android development. Software developer by trade.

looked at the Archos 5 and Dell Streak 5. wondering if there's anything similar available.
(also I've seen something about a GPS Dongle? If that actually works it could expand my range of choices)

Last edited:

Flyhound

Jun 7, 2011
Here's what I'm looking for: A pixel Qi screen so the device is visible in bright sunlight, built-in GPS (or the ability to communicate with a USB GPS puck), and the ability to load a GPS mapping app that allows me to display geo-referenced aviation charts (.jpg files with geo tags) with my current position while I am flying. Multi-TOuch for zooming is also a must. I have most of this in an ASUS Eee T91MT tablet running Windows 7, but the screen is barely readable in sunlight, it is slow to turn on, and the battery life is marginal for my needs. Can an Android tablet make me happy? I know Notion Ink is coming out with a new Android tablet with a pixel Qi screen, but there is scant detailed information on it.

heavy666

May 3, 2011
can someone point me a good $200 chinise tablet with capactive 4:3 screen? It Should be hackable. The newer the SO the better so is the hard specs.

=D I was wondering if I could buy it from sites like pandawill dealextreme or anyother trustworth site.

Thks!