Thinking about selling iPad 2 and getting Android tablet...Opinions needed.

CC268

Aug 31, 2011
I have had an iPad 2 Verizon Wireless 3G enabled and it is 16GB. It is literally in brand new condition, with box, also wrapped in Ghost Armor White Carbon Fiber and Screen Protector. I never really used it, as I am more of an Android guy and I didn't like the fact you had to use a really wide tipped stylus to right notes (very hard to write small precise notes with such a big tipped stylus). Here is a list of things I would like in a tablet:

- Quad core processor
- Powerful Graphics card
- Ability to use small tipped stylus, almost like a normal pen (LIKE THE SAMSUNG NOTE STYLUS) - this is a MUST
- Camera (although it doesn't matter too much)
- ICS or JellyBean
- LARGE SCREEN SIZE (at least the same size as the iPad, as I need to be able to write notes, plus I prefer the big screen
- It would be nice to have something that I can use with Verizon and have 4G...but its not a necessity

I love Nexus devices as they are bloat free and true Vanilla Android, which is what I prefer...but the Nexus 7 is too small. I am very experienced with rooting Android devices, so most likely I will end up rooting, but if I don't that makes it all the better.

Basically I would like the "ultimate", best Android tablet available. I don't need something right away, I can wait however long I need to if you guys think something really awesome will be coming out in the next couple months.

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I think the issue with the stylus is the type of stylus more so than the tablet itself. At my cell phone store they wanted me to sign some stuff on a tablet and the stylus was your typical stylus. I went out to my van and got my stylus, a Dagi. It looks strange compared to most of the stylus' out there but works like you are writing with a #2 pencil or a pen. Everyone in the store was super impressed. Another one very nearly like the Dagi is an Adonit Jot Pro. I have used more stylus than I can count over the years and those 2 are IT!

Now for the other question re: tablets. The ASUS TF700 Infinity or the Samsung Galaxy 2 10.1 would both be excellent choices. The Infinity has a very high resolution and a Quad Core. It also has an option keyboard dock that extends the battery by roughly 6 hours and adds a full size USB port.

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Really your only choice, especially if you really need a working stylus, is the Galaxy Note 10.1. With a built in Wacom digitizer and pen you have extremely fine control as well as effective handwriting recognition. It has the fastest quad core processor available and excellent included software. Not to mention the latest wifi, which is VERY fast. There really is nothing else like it today.

CC268

Aug 31, 2011
Really your only choice, especially if you really need a working stylus, is the Galaxy Note 10.1. With a built in Wacom digitizer and pen you have extremely fine control as well as effective handwriting recognition. It has the fastest quad core processor available and excellent included software. Not to mention the latest wifi, which is VERY fast. There really is nothing else like it today.

Okay, that is what I was thinking...either that or the Asus Infinity...how do the Asus Infinity and Note compare? Seems like the Asus is quite a bit nicer...just sucks I can't use the small stylus like the Samsung

To the previous poster: I actually had a Dagi for my iPad...I really didn't like the plastic piece at the end...but then again I was unable to spend much time with it as I broke it..don't remember how...think the spring got mangled in a bag or something

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
It's going to be difficult to compare the 2 tablets. Some of the comparisons would be subjective. I have tried the Note that belongs to an associate and though I didn't specifically try out the digitizer I can see where that would be a plus, however, I have several customers doing the same thing on ASUS Transformers using the Adonit Jot and I personally would choose the Infinity. But the digitizer on the Note was designed to be optimized for writing. So I guess I didn't help. ;)

Last edited:

CC268

Aug 31, 2011
It's going to be difficult to compare the 2 tablets. Some of the comparisons would be subjective. I have tried the Note that belongs to an associate and though I didn't specifically try out the digitizer I can see where that would be a plus, however, I have several customers doing the same thing on ASUS Transformers using the Adonis Jot and I personally would choose the Infinity. But the digitizer on the Note was designed to be optimized for writing. So I guess I didn't help. ;)

Well if you are pretty confident that the Adonit Jot gets the job done very well...then maybe the stylus isn't a huge issue..in that case I would probably go with the Infinity...I am not in a hurry to get a tablet, so maybe I will do some thinking or wait a while till some new tablets come out.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Well if you are pretty confident that the Adonit Jot gets the job done very well...then maybe the stylus isn't a huge issue..in that case I would probably go with the Infinity...I am not in a hurry to get a tablet, so maybe I will do some thinking or wait a while till some new tablets come out.

I need to mention that the Adonit Stylus is very much like the Dagi so if you didn't care for the Dagi the Jot may not be right for you either, but I think both are pretty sweet. Nearly everyone who has used mine has bought one for themselves.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
The Asus is a great tablet, with a very high rez screen and a fast processor. If it wasn't for your need for stylus input I would say take a close look at it but take this from someone that spent a LOT time (and money on many different stylus) trying to come up with an acceptable solution for this type of input on a capacitive screen. I actually found I prefer a stylus called the Pogo Sketch Pro to the Jot. But that is personal preference, and at its best the whole thing achieved only moderate success. Mainly I was frustrated and just tried to make do with the keyboard dock and minimal stylus use. The keyboard dock with the Asus is awesome btw.
It's hard to explain just what am amazing difference there is between using a capacitive stylus and the Wacom digitizer on the Note. It really is night and day and if at all possible try to get some hands on time with both before you make your decision.

markrich

Sep 23, 2012
Bought the new Sony Xperia Tablet S with the keyboard case and an Adonit Jot Pro stylus.
It's a fantastic combination and I've had a couple of envious (well they looked envious to me) from iPad users in the local café. :)

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
markrich said:
Bought the new Sony Xperia Tablet S with the keyboard case and an Adonit Jot Pro stylus.
It's a fantastic combination and I've had a couple of envious (well they looked envious to me) from iPad users in the local café. :)

The keyboard case looks pretty sweet, really reminds me of the Surface style.