Tips for Nexus 7

Music

Feb 5, 2011
u now have independent control of the sound volume for media and notifications!

If you press either volume button, you will see the slider on the screen. atthe end of the slider is the options icon. Tapping the options icon wil display BOTH sliders for media and notifications. Now, you don't need an app like QuickSettings, or to go into the settings control panel to adjust the volume.

You can stay 'in the know' with all the latest news, updates, tech & tips with the Ultimate Google Nexus 7 App

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
here is an LED on the front near the charging jack, the "LED Pulse Notification Light" that lights up every ten seconds or so if you have a notification for an email or something. You only see it light up when the screen is off, so send yourself an email message, turn the screen off, and watch the screen in a dark room.

$notification LED.JPG

Last edited:

Music

Feb 5, 2011
I've been using the GSam battery application, and it seems to be working out fine. You can set your own alarm values with custom notification sounds, and the icon is big. It tells you the time left to charge or discharge in the battery in the notifications list.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
A new feature of OS 4.4 I just noticed is that you can uninstall an application directly fro the app drawer by long-holding on the app, then dragging to the trash can icon on the home screen. I don't remember reading about that in any Android docs or tips video.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
you can uninstall an application directly fro the app drawer by long-holding on the app, then dragging to the trash can icon on the home screen.

That's been a feature of every version of Android I've used, all the way back to Gingerbread. Maybe even before. Not well publicized though.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
My Huawei S7 didn't have that feature. Neither of them did. I would suppose Huawei didn't buy the full license to the Android OS.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
That's been a feature of every version of Android I've used, all the way back to Gingerbread. Maybe even before. Not well publicized though.
It should be in the documentation, but it is defiitely a dangerous thing for the noobs, as you could accidentally uninstall something. So it's better left unsaid or undocumeted, so only advanced users will find out.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
In the same way that you can pile up application icons to form groups on the screen, you can pile up icons in the Quick Launch area. You just can't give a name to the group, so I like to make the first app icon the one that best describes the group, like a car icon for car apps, or a blank-page icon for text editors, etc.

citrus

Aug 25, 2012
Any tips on changing the default keyboard on N7 w/4.4.4? I got the N7 a few days ago & have installed the Hacker's keyboard; it "runs" & has been set as the default keyboard. BUT the keyboard that pops up is the "ASUS keyboard" which is not shown in the settings for apps; have disabled the "Google" keyboard but the ASUS keyboard still shows up when entering a search criteria.

The Hacker's keyboard is nice as it has the "ESC" key, a separate row for numbers & arrow keys; just like a regular keyboard. Is the ASUS keyboard the only keyboard one can use on the Nexus 7? The ASUS keyboard settings only show up under a task manager like Display Lite; doesn't seem to show up anywhere else; doesn't show up on my modded Nook HD+, modded Acer A700 or plain Tab 2 7 that is only used as a "universal" remote control.

Music

Feb 5, 2011
You can change the keyboard on-the-fly by swiping down the left shade while another keyboard is open.