Toshiba officially announces the Folio 100!

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
toshiba-folio2.jpg

Android Tablets seem to be all the buzz today with information, release announcements, teaser pics and more flooding the Internet. Toshiba has officially announced the Folio 100, and it won't disappoint by any means. Engadget reports the device will launch with a suggested retail price will be €399 or roughly 511 USD. Here's a quick look at the specs:

• 10.1-inch capacitive touchscreen
  • 1024 x 600
  • Android 2.2 (Froyo)
  • NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor
  • 16 GB internal storage (32 GB available SD expansion)
  • Adobe Flash 10.1
  • 1.3 MP front-facing camera
  • Mini-HDMI
  • USB 2.0
  • Bluetooth 2.1
  • WLAN (802.11)
  • Mobile broadband (available Q1 2011)
We just got to handle the Folio 100, after witnessing it bolted to a wall earlier, and we have to admit that it's lighter and thinner than it looks at first glance. Unfortunately, it still feels pretty cheap, and we're not sure how much we trust ourselves one-handing something this large and fragile seeming. Our brief glimpse of Toshiba's custom skin on here was most depressing -- it's not final, but we're not sure why Toshiba is even bothering showing anything in this abysmal state. The bits we've seen of Toshiba's market (for music, apps, e-books and so forth) look a bit better, but as far as we know there's no official Android Market on this thing -- a kiss of death for almost any Android device.

Source: Toshiba Folio 100 preview -- Engadget

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
Engadget has reported that apparently there are no plans to sell the Folio 100 to the US. Also based on Engadget's "preview" the screen and quality are disappointing. With so many tablets coming out to market in the next few months, companies need to step up and not introduce rushed average products. I predict that many companies will fail because they rush to introduce lower quality tablets just to have one in the market. Whether one wants to believe it or not, the iPad is the tablet that everyone should at the minimum aiming for in terms of quality. Producing a better tablet is the true goal but many will fail.

JeanPaul

Aug 20, 2010
Then check out the Samsung Galaxy Tab. It is a high quality product that received unanimously positive reviews; it meets iPad standards and then some.

Only concern is its price, which hasn't officially been revealed yet... not a good sign now is it?

I'm still waiting for the so called ''iPad killer''.

Jake from Tablet Reviews

Cyborgz

Sep 4, 2010
Does this Toshiba Folio 100 still have Android Market? I'm sure I seen a review stating that it will ship it Toshiba's own app store... is that correct?

TabletConnect

Aug 4, 2010
Does this Toshiba Folio 100 still have Android Market? I'm sure I seen a review stating that it will ship it Toshiba's own app store... is that correct?

For the near future, tablets will not have Google Market. We will be surprised if a tablet does include it. Google themselves confirmed this. It maybe included with Android 3.0 (Gingerbread).

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
I would agree with Mike, When evaluating vendors and tablets for work. All the major manufacturers we spoke to said, they would offer their own source for apps. similar to Archos market model. What was said specifically: Google has decreed, if the unit does not meet their standards for the OS, it will not be approved for Market. Each Android OS versions has minimum, and recommended standards. The problem has been, until Froyo, it was not enforcing them. They do not want brand dilution of Market, thus, they will control the access. It will create side-markets. Which may or may not be a good thing for Market. I think it will be a filter to keep the clutter down like you see on the Apple Store.