Toshiba's New Android Tablet: Tegra 2, Dual Camera, Thin, Perfect

dandroid

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 15, 2009
attachment.php

Toshiba just brought us a little something for those Android lovers that want something similar to the iPad. This new tablet brings together the hardware needed to bring you a great tablet experience, and unlike most, doesn't include a slow processor to limit your enjoyment. The features include the previously mentioned dual cameras, 5MP in the back and 2MP in front for those video call moments (Skype hopefully coming soon). The device is powered by a Tegra 2 dual core processor, which means you should see great performance out of the tablet and hopefully Honeycomb is optimized for this. The screen is a nice capacitive 1280 x 800-resolution display that incorporates the usual features, along with both accelerometer and ambient light sensors for an adaptive screen experience. The last thing to mention, spec wise, is the full sized USB and HDMI jacks, a single mini-USB socket, and an SD card slot.

While we wait for Honeycomb to be released, and this device to come with it, Engadget had this to say about the tablet:

While we couldn't turn on the dual-core Tegra 2-powered tablet, which will eventually run "the next version of Android designed for tablets" aka Honeycomb, we have to say the EasyGrip, spill-resistant, rubberized back felt really solid in hand and the 1.7-pound, .6-inch thick tablet felt comparable to the iPad in terms of portability. Oh, and did we mention that the aforementioned rear cover is swappable, so not only can you change its color but you can replace the battery? We told you it had some of the ingredients to make it go far, but we're obviously lacking quite a bit of information here to make any further decisions.
Now I am sure this is what many of you were waiting for. It has specs of a great device, a processor to power that great device, and a new OS that is optimized for such awesome devices. Is there anything else you want in this tablet? How much would you pay for this? Let us know your thoughts..

mpit52

Aug 10, 2010
I would like to pay $350 for it but I believe its going to be priced around the Ipad and Galaxy tab...so I'm going to say around $450+ (with lowest internal storage) since its a Toshiba.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
Samsung 7" is already 499. I would say it is at least that price...depending on memory and ram of course. But otherwise it looks like a decent machine

mpit52

Aug 10, 2010
The only reason I was giving it a lower price was because Toshiba device (laptops, desktops, tv's, ect) are always a "lower priced" device compared to the larger brands like Dell, HP, Samsung. So we'll see...plus im hoping im right so its cheaper lol

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Get me the FCC ID and let's start probing the internals.

superbike81

Jan 3, 2011
Perfect. I've been a lurker on this forum for quite some time, but seeing this has given me a reason to register.

I have been so disappointed with the tablets I've seen so far, even the Galaxy Tab, but with CES starting up, and the announcement of tablets like this (dual core, high resolution, Honeycomb, etc) I can finally start deciding which family member I'm going to give my iPad to and which Android tablet I'm going to buy.

I can't wait!

brejcha

Dec 5, 2010
I am sure after CES there will be a ton of tablets to choose from, and with the competition heating up....there will be competitive pricing. I am just going to wait it out.

gwilo

Dec 5, 2010
This looks good, in late spring I will be in the market for a new device either a Tablet or a sub-note book. (No Netbook for me)

Toshiba laptops have served me well over the years, still have one that came with Win 98 ME that still works, running Win 2000.

I hope they still build in the quality for their Tab.

mpit52

Aug 10, 2010
So...I was planning on getting a tablet soon with the money I got saved up...looks like I might be saving some more up so I can do this right the 1st time. lol

Sisko

Dec 29, 2010
Hopefully this should be something positive. I've read a couple of articles over the last day that have said Android is or was not ready for the tablet market, however from what I've read regarding Android 3.0 Honeycomb, this new version is specifically geared towards working on a tablet device.

I'm eager to get a tablet of some description, now I have considered an Ipad, but in honesty I don't think I could go for one. I'd definatley prefer an Android tablet. I did consider the Galaxy Tab, but reviews on that have been mixed, and its chunky size turned me off.

The future is good, the future is Android!!! :D