Total newbie! Suggestions for tablet buying?!

Gangrel

Dec 9, 2010
Hi,

I've come here because I'm considering buying an Andriod tablet, but, to be honest, I'm getting a bit weary of finding contradictory reviews and information on different websites. I hoped if I let people know what my needs were, then maybe people here could at least give me a few pointers towards tablets that are worth considering.

Firstly, I'm in the UK, just in case that has a bearing on what is and isn't available. My budget is around the £150 (c.$235) mark, but I can be a bit flexible with that.

My main interest is in finding a table that I can use to display game aids while I game master roleplaying games. To that end, I need:

A decent PDF viewer.
Something that at the very least displays Word files (preferable allows editing).
A minimum battery life (when working with the above) of 4-5 hours.

If I could also access BBC iPlayer once in a while, that would be cool, but not essential.

Any advice and/or suggestions would be greatfully received.

Thanks,
Gangrel

lady-momo

Dec 3, 2010
Hi there, As for your budget, i would suggest you to buy the A8 , can totally meets your budget, and it's a real hot one in the market.
the specs of this device are as follows:
Google Android 2.2 OS
1.2 GHz Freescale iMX515 Cortex A8 processor
512MB RAM
Supports 3G and Wifi for fast and easy connectivity to the internet
Flash 10.1 preinstalled
gravity sensing, 3D games
support multi-tasking
external 3G Internet access
8 inch TFT
etc...
i'll send you more details via PM. Hope it's useful to you.;)

Gangrel

Dec 9, 2010
That's a great help, thanks nvery much. Oddly the link from your PM is blocked to me (maybe it's a regional thing?!). I've had a quick look around and it's pushing the top end of my budget here in the UK (I love the way we often end up paying on an exchange rate of $1=£1!!) but it's certainly worth some serious consideration and shopping around.

Thanks again, your help is much appreciated.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
That variant is the best PDF viewer shanzhai tablet on the market, because it has a 4:3 ratio and a fast CPU to boot. Not sure what you can get in the UK.

Rose4uKY

Aug 1, 2010
Where can you buy this tablet at? Is it a capacative screen and have Android Market?

Hi there, As for your budget, i would suggest you to buy the A8 , can totally meets your budget, and it's a real hot one in the market.
the specs of this device are as follows:
Google Android 2.2 OS
1.2 GHz Freescale iMX515 Cortex A8 processor
512MB RAM
Supports 3G and Wifi for fast and easy connectivity to the internet
Flash 10.1 preinstalled
gravity sensing, 3D games
support multi-tasking
external 3G Internet access
8 inch TFT
etc...
i'll send you more details via PM. Hope it's useful to you.;)

Gangrel

Dec 9, 2010
I'm definitely interested in this one. To try another idiot question; as it (presumably) has a software keyboard, is it possible/straightforward to switch to a UK keyboard layout on one of these? Thanks in advance.