Traveling power supply

mattmanb

Aug 31, 2010
Went to RadioShack today and bought the things needed to have a "Travel Charger". Bought the following to make a travel charger:
Power tip "A" - Enercell # 273-334
Power cable - Enercell # 273-348
I already had 2 each 9v power connectors and a plastic "project box" that would hold 2 9v batteries and heat shrink tubing- Sorry no SKU ' s for those items.

Construction - Wired the 2 power connectors in parallel (serial will produce 18v!) and connectd the the positive line to the power cord that has the white strip on it and the negetive wire to the plain black power wire. Soldered the power connector wires to the power cord then used heat shrink tubing to insulate. Connected the batteries then used a multimeter to verify that I had the “Travel Charger” tip set to match the polarity that the stock GENTouch had. Inserted the whole mess into the project box and closed it up. Plugged it into the GENTouch and I was good to go.
You can follow the same basic setup to build a box to hold as many batteries as you like. Just remember to wire in parrallel and the output will always be 9v(ish).

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
sounds very inventive, i like, let us know how it works. and if it turns out to work good you should throw together a picture tutorial

Aug 10, 2010
You can make a very simple one for about $10-15 from radioshack.

1. Altoids tin

2. 2x 9V leads from radioshack

3. 2x 9V Batteries

4. Panel mount power connector

The Altoids tin is about as small as you can get enclosure-wise and looks normal in your bag. Also pretty securely holds a 9V.

mattmanb

Aug 31, 2010
Been using it for a month now and get about 3 back-charges (each one slower than the last) before I have to swap out the batteries. If I had to do over I would have used rechargeable batteries, a larger case to allow/and the circuits to let me recharge it. I work 2 hours from home and it has been a great help though when she dies on the train ride home.

Gosling

Oct 8, 2010
Thanks Matt, I'm going to build one as well. Great advice.

Cheers,

Gosling

Been using it for a month now and get about 3 back-charges (each one slower than the last) before I have to swap out the batteries. If I had to do over I would have used rechargeable batteries, a larger case to allow/and the circuits to let me recharge it. I work 2 hours from home and it has been a great help though when she dies on the train ride home.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
I guess this could work with other tablets just have to match up (* *) polarity points.. Good to have a RS nearby!

mygangof5

Oct 23, 2010
Hmmm I must be lazy or not inventive lol I jsut bought a convertor for van plugs into cig lighter and then the normal charger just plugs into that ...

anglejel27

Dec 8, 2011
While heat shrink is best known for being a source of insulation, we can also used it as a means to soldering joints albeit this is a rather controversial approach in the minds of those whom work as engineers.
heat shrink tubing