Trying to upgrade Firmware, but cannot identify which Apad Irobot androidevice i got?

dejavu22

Aug 6, 2010
Hi,

I hope you guys can help me, i heard good things about android tablets so I bought one online from irobotgroup.com

After reading more on apad, looks like i need to upgrade firmware so the device can function and perform better, but I don't know which upgrading files I should use becuase I cannot convincingly confirm which apad irobot device i have.

Here is the settings information on my device:

Model number: sdkDemo

Fireware version: 1.5

Kernel version : 2.6.25 rockchip version 1.7.4 (yuxing)

Build Number: RK-1.3.2.eng.root.20100612.025602

Thanks in advance for your help.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
I think I can help to a certain extent.

1) what's the output voltage of your charger
2) what's the color of your charging LED
3) plastic or metal version?

My guess:

1) 9v
2) blue
3) plastic

Answer and I'll try to make a firmware. The problem is that I don't have this batch, so it's more difficult for me to test.

go to HiApad and familiarize yourself with the specs

also Apad_iRobot_Update_Batch3_0612-CN.zip - apad-irobot - Apad iRobot Update 0612 Batch 3 Chinese (Android 1.5) - Project Hosting on Google Code is your firmware. save it somewhere.

dejavu22

Aug 6, 2010
Thank you for the reply.

Sorry, i'm a bit of a noob, so bear with me please.

Not sure exactly what I should do when you say "go to hiapad and familiarize yourself with the specs" which specs exactly, do you have a link?

As for your questions for my device:

1) 9 volts
2) Blue LED
3) I'm not sure, feels like plastic i guess..

So that link you provided, i've saved it, should i use that to upgrade the firmware on my device?

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
This firmware I linked you to should be the same as the one currently on your device.

dejavu22

Aug 6, 2010
OK, so there isn't an upgrade for this device i have yet?

If i update and something goes wrong, i can go back to the firmware which you linked correct?

caveting

Aug 6, 2010
I am new to Android all together. Today I got the iRobot aPad in and would like to upgrade from 1.6 to 2.1 or higher. My HTC Hero has 2.1 and I love it, but the tablet seems to not be able to install from the Market.

Thanks in advance!

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
OK, so there isn't an upgrade for this device i have yet?

If i update and something goes wrong, i can go back to the firmware which you linked correct?
Ideally, yes. That's why you should keep a copy.

I've been making custom firmwares and have been flashing them to my own device. I haven't made a custom one for your version yet, but I don't own one to know exactly what I want to change. It might be some time before I release one.

I am new to Android all together. Today I got the iRobot aPad in and would like to upgrade from 1.6 to 2.1 or higher. My HTC Hero has 2.1 and I love it, but the tablet seems to not be able to install from the Market.

Thanks in advance!

You wont be able to upgrade it to a higher version of Android.

caveting

Aug 6, 2010
xaueious, does that mean ever?? I mean, once I have downloaded a file from the "App Store" I can't seem to find the file to install it at all. The manual refers to the "APK Installer" for this , but I can't find it either. Am I just missing something here?

Last edited:

caveting

Aug 6, 2010
Well, I have been. I tried the "Market" and "App Store." The App Store is the only one I get any results from but most of the time the software doesn't install. I do not have these problems with my Hero with 2.1. I am lost and thinking this thing is just a piece of crap to be honest.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Factory shipping firmware only has a pathetic 25MB of space in /data

If you identify which firmware is compatible with your device, I suggest flashing over it with a custom one.

caveting

Aug 6, 2010
Here is the information from my device:
Memory Size: 256mb
Model Number:Generic
Firmware version: 1.6
Kernel version: 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty
Build number: V1.7.4

I hope this helps.

van_leeuwen

Aug 17, 2010
Hi,

I also have the same apad as caveting:
Memory Size: 256mb
Model Number:Generic
Firmware version: 1.6
Kernel version: 2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty
Build number: V1.7.4

Is there any update at all that I can run as I am unable to use the "Market," "Apps Store" or "YouTube."

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks