[Tut] How to install CWM or TWRP Recovery on the Visual Land Prestige Pro 7D

xdrc45

Jan 6, 2013
This is a tutorial on how to install TWRP or CWM custom recovery on the Visual Land Prestige Pro 7D. Installing a custom recovery on the Pro 7D gives you the ability to perform nandroid backups and nandroid restores to the device. This is a great feature in the event that that something should go wrong on the tablet and you get force closes, reboots, stuck in a boot loop and etc..
You can then restore the tablet to a near factory condition with a backup. With these custom recoveries you can also install flashable zips, mods, tweaks, firmware update zips and custom Roms when and once available. The Pro 7D has a Rock Chip Processor, a RK3066 to be exact and thankfully the Pro 7D also has a valid kernel in the kernel partition... So what does that mean? Basically it allows for an easier installation of a custom recovery.

You do this at you OWN RISK. I take NO responsibility for your device if something should happen to go wrong during the process and your device bricks, turns into a paperweight and your spouse leaves you!

Before you begin I highly recommend that you make a backup of your device using the modified RK 2.1 tool with full and easy directions on how to make the backup from here -
Backing up your RK device (ROM) with the new RK 2.1 tool

To start -
Your device needs to be Rooted. You can follow my Pro 7D rooting tutorial if you haven't rooted It yet, from here-
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/rockchip-rk3066-tablets/66008-tut-how-root-vl-prestige-pro-7d-rk3066-easiest-method.html

Download the custom recovery of your choice, either TWRP or CWM from here -

For TWRP the recovery is based on the devices resolution. The Pro 7D's resolution is 1024 x 600. So you'll need to download the Generic unofficial TWRP v2.7.0.0 1024 x 600 RK3066 from here -
TWRP 2.7.0.0 For Rockchip's

Also you need to download the "flash_image file" for TWRP from here -
Dev-Host - flash_image - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

For CWM just download the RK30GENERIC_CWM.zip from here -
CWM-based Recovery images for RK3066 devices | androtab.info

Once you've downloaded the recovery that you want, create a new folder on your PC's desktop and name it something like "Pro 7D recovery" Place the downloaded CWM recovery zip into the Pro 7D recovery folder and extract it there with a program like 7zip.
For TWRP just place the TWRP_2.7.0.0_1024x600_rk3066.img and the flash_image file inside the Pro 7D recovery folder.

Inside the extracted CWM recovery zip we will be using only 2 files.
1. flash_image
2. recovery.img.

In TWRP we only have -
1. TWRP_2.7.0.0_1024x600_rk3066.img
2. flash_image

You will need to rename the TWRP_2.7.0.0_1024x600_rk3066.img to just "recovery.img" (without the quotes)

For the next part you will need to download from the play store a File browser like "Root Browser" and a Terminal Emulator, "Rom Tool Box Lite" has both a file browser and a terminal emulator in it, or you can use the Android SDK with adb setup and working on your PC. I'm not going to get into that part of setting up the Android SDK and adb. Just Google it, there are plenty of good tutorials on it.

Now for the actuall installation of the recovery -
Connect the Pro 7D to your PC with USB debugging enabled and open a command prompt.
If your familiar with adb commands then just adb push the flash_image file to the root of the "data/local folder on the tablet and adb push the recovery.img to the root of the "internal sdcard" and set permissions - (each line is a new command and make sure your spacing is exact or it will not work properly)

adb shell
su
adb push flash_image /data/local
adb push recovery.img /sdcard
chmod 755 /data/local/flash_image

If your not familiar with adb commands then just put the recovery.img and flash_image on your internal sdcard. Open your Root Browser, click and hold on the flash_image file, select "Move" and then navigate to "data/local" and then paste the file here. Once you paste the file, click and hold on the flash_image file again and select "Permissions" and change the permissions to 755 by selecting the 3 check boxes (Read, Write and Execute) on the top line "Owner" and on the second line "Group" and then on the third line "Other" select just Read and Execute and then save.

Now open Terminal Emulator or command prompt and then type these commands, (each line is a new command and make sure your spacing in the commands are exact otherwise it will not work properly) -

adb shell
su
data/local/flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

If you put the commands in correctly it will say - "wrote recovery partition" and you have successfully installed the new custom recovery.
Keep Terminal Emulator/command prompt open and type-

reboot recovery

The device will reboot to the newly installed custom recovery. I highly recommend making a backup at this point and your done!

Booting to recovery on the Pro 7D is a huge pain using the button combination or having to use adb reboot recovery every time, so I recommend that you to install the RK Reboot app from here -
Reboot App
To install the Reboot app, on the Pro 7D you will have to go to "Settings" - Security and select/check "Unknown Sources" to allow installation from an unknown source. Then use your Root Browser, navigate to the sdcard - downloads, click on the Reboot app and choose install.

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial... If so Please Click the Thank You Button.

This is Not any of my work.... I just simply put this guide together for your benifit.
Credit belongs to -

fun_ - for creating the Generic CWM recovery
Abdul_pt - for creating the Generic TWRP recovery
Finless - for creating the modified RK2.1 Tool
petrus - for creating the Reboot App
bhiga - for his help and support

Please pay Respect and Thanks to these guys and if so kind maybe a donation to them as well!

Last edited: