Unbrick or update Coby Kyros 7024 with gingerbread firmware...!!!!

Was this help full?

• Total voters

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
I have read most of the 43 pages of this thread and I have successfully applied the 7024-C8lean_v0.41_v2.rar ROM using the steps mentioned on page 31 (I think it was 31). My tablet is running great and I was able to install the main app I wanted the tablet for (Vulkano Flow player). Then I wanted to install other apps and most recently was trying to install the NetFlix player. This was failing because the NetFlix installation said I needed more storage. I had already opened my tablet and replaced the internal SD card with a 16 gb card but as we all know the ROM install process partitions that SD card into several partitions. Apparently the NetFLix installation was not able to install directly to the ~13 gb SD card partition. Then I had the idea... I removed the internal SD card from the tablet. Then I booted my laptop with an Ubuntu Live CD while I had the SD card in the card slot on my laptop. Linux, unlike Windows, can "see" all of the partitions on the SD card. After my laptop booted I used the GParted utility to resize the partitions on the SD card. I wasn't sure which of the small partitions was being used for what purpose but I knew one of them was the normal "nand" storage area where apps normally get installed. The sizes were originally something like 100 mb, 500 mb, 128 mb, and ~13 gb. I resized them to 128 mb, 1000 mb, 256 mb, and whatever was left over (~12 gb). Reinstalled the SD card in the tablet and rebooted and now I have NetFlix installed and running with no problems. If you are brave enough to open your tablet I think this is a nice little improvement.

im impressed with your find and i cant wait to get another device to try this out :)

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Thought I would update this thread with some more info. :))

I have tried ROM's "CFW-Base-on-C8lean_v0.51-MID7024.rar" and "wicced_7024c8lean_v1.rar" straight
"out-of-the-box". I know, edit them dummy, but since I don't know about that stuff yet, I deceided to
just use the infamous modded file "modified_U-boot-bin.rar". BTW, the "CFW" file can be found on page 35,
thread #344 by "flxrms", and the "wicced" file can be found on page 35, thread #341 by "wicced247".
And the file "modified_U-boot-bin.rar" you can get from "flxrms" because he removed his orignal link.

Ok, fun, onward. So, I basically, used the same steps from last time.

1)Format 16G microSD with FAT32(outside tablet).
2)Extract "wicced_7024c8lean_v1.rar" into root of microSD card.
3)Extract "modified_U-boot-bin.rar" into root microSD card(overwrite stuff on SD card).
4)Put microSD card into Coby 8024.
5)Press "Home"(shiny button) & "Power Button" at same time.

Arlic

If your going to use "CFW-Base-on-C8lean_v0.51-MID7024.rar" you no longer need to use "modified_U-boot-bin.rar" since i already added the modified u-boot.bin to that rom.

Vernox701

Sep 1, 2011
Well I totally bricked my device using a Hero_c8_gingerbread rom today.Now I'll wait for something with a capacitive screen .The Hero tabs look like a nice alternative but the coby's look much nicer. Thinking either Pandigital or used Touchpad

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
This is the update for 7024-C8lean_v0.41_v2, this basically contains the updated u-boot.bin.

https://rapidshare.com/files/2821599...4-C8lean_v0.41

PW: FLXRMS

Changes:
Battery indicator now have Percentage value
Using different font.
Loading screen updated.

Instructions:
1)Format 2G microSD with FAT32
2)Extract "CFW-MID7024-V4-C8lean_v0.41" into root of microSD card.
3)Put microSD card into Coby 7024.
4)Press "Home"(shiny button) & "Power Button" at same time.

Last edited:

Arlic

May 13, 2011
If your going to use "CFW-Base-on-C8lean_v0.51-MID7024.rar" you no longer need to use "modified_U-boot-bin.rar" since i already added the modified u-boot.bin to that rom.

Ok, so I didn't need it anyway, thanks. Question: I used the above .51 ROM.....I have a MID8024....it seems to be working perfectly, so far. If, you have a 7024 why wasn't my 8024 bricked, white screened, or whatever?? Did you change the drivers in the .51 ROM for the 8024?? Or was it that my 8024 has the same main board as your 7024.
7024??

Just wondering.....:)

Bye...
Arlic

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
Ok, so I didn't need it anyway, thanks. Question: I used the above .51 ROM.....I have a MID8024....it seems to be working perfectly, so far. If, you have a 7024 why wasn't my 8024 bricked, white screened, or whatever?? Did you change the drivers in the .51 ROM for the 8024?? Or was it that my 8024 has the same main board as your 7024.
7024??

Just wondering.....:)

Bye...
Arlic

My guess your board still use's the xx25 series board just like my 7024 which uses a 7025 board. That's why your not having the "white screen of death".But that's just a guess :)

I'm already asking other users of 8024 and 1024 to share their UTModules and dmegs so we can see what's being loaded.

Would you like to try my new update for "CFW-MID7024-V4-C8lean_v0.41"? It now uses UOT Kitchen stuffs so Battery Indicator now have Percentage level and different Font :p

The base 322 Froyo used in c8lean_v0.41 is really stable that's why i improve it a bit.

cuida

Jul 22, 2011
This is the update for 7024-C8lean_v0.41_v2, this basically contains the updated u-boot.bin.

https://rapidshare.com/files/2821599...4-C8lean_v0.41

PW: FLXRMS

Changes:
Battery indicator now have Percentage value
Using different font.
Loading screen updated.

Instructions:
1)Format 2G microSD with FAT32
2)Extract "CFW-MID7024-V4-C8lean_v0.41" into root of microSD card.
3)Put microSD card into Coby 7024.
4)Press "Home"(shiny button) & "Power Button" at same time.

So what do we have in this new improvement, flxrms? Can you specify it?
Like, Which buttons are working and not, camera, wifi status, if is there something still don't working properly to be fixed, etc?

nefirim

Developer
Sep 10, 2011
New poster, but had to register to let everyone know! COBY FINALLY POSTED THE FIRMWARE! Kyros™ Internet 8" Touchscreen Tablet | COBY and I can confirm right now that it fixes the white screen! just used it on my 8024 that white screened and it came back to life. Doesn't seem to be a firmware for 7024/1024, but I'm assuming since they're similar tablets, that something can be devised from that at least. At any rate, thought everyone would be interested to see this

marilia

Apr 19, 2011
New poster, but had to register to let everyone know! COBY FINALLY POSTED THE FIRMWARE! Kyros™ Internet 8" Touchscreen Tablet | COBY and I can confirm right now that it fixes the white screen! just used it on my 8024 that white screened and it came back to life. Doesn't seem to be a firmware for 7024/1024, but I'm assuming since they're similar tablets, that something can be devised from that at least. At any rate, thought everyone would be interested to see this

that are very good news! I hope it works with the 7024 too, lets wait for those with the bricked 7024 try this one first...

flxrms

Developer
Mar 23, 2011
that are very good news! I hope it works with the 7024 too, lets wait for those with the bricked 7024 try this one first...

I've opened the firmware and its April 12 release much newer than the rom im using. I think this can work also with 7024.

What i really like we now have the original u-boot.bin and kernel. Nice.

I'll try this on monday

Sent from my Coby Kyros 7024

Last edited:

rain

May 5, 2011
NEW ! ! !
and i am sorry if this news is 'old' and you guys know this already . . .
SuperOneClick work ! . . . . just did it on my 7024 ( in order to run titanium backup mostly ).
. . . . . .
shortfuse.org

Posted on August 1, 2011 by shortfuse
Yeah, yeah. I know, I keep saying I’ve fixed it, but this time I’ve attached proof.
If you use GingerBreak, make sure you have a microSD inserted if possible. Also, make sure your removable storage isn’t mounted.
Download now!

cuida

Jul 22, 2011
Hey Guise,
I tested the new flxrms ROM and stated that also seen in Wicced ROM there's good things and also things to fix too (in my opinion). So I'll list now the pros and cons in both two best ROMS that we have till now:

WICEED
PROS
CONS
Gain in performance, in speed and in screen sensibility
No physical volume buttons
Gingerbread rom
No camera

Hardware info (device listed in market as "Verizon sec mid7024") incompatible with a lot of market apps, you can't even install the original angry birds*
*when market is fully updated, in first access you can still install these apps

Buttons stay lit when in sleep mode

When setting an wallpaper that not a default pic, image gets awkwardly blurred
FLXMRS
PROS
CONS
Physical volume buttons
Touch not so responsive/accurate
Camera
When setting an wallpaper that not a default pic, image gets awkwardly blurred
Default Battery percentage in icon

Hardware info compatible with most market apps

So, is there a way to merge only the good features in one ROM?

Pablocr

Jul 3, 2011
NEW ! ! !
and i am sorry if this news is 'old' and you guys know this already . . .
SuperOneClick work ! . . . . just did it on my 7024 ( in order to run titanium backup mostly ).
. . . . . .
shortfuse.org

Posted on August 1, 2011 by shortfuse
Yeah, yeah. I know, I keep saying I’ve fixed it, but this time I’ve attached proof.
If you use GingerBreak, make sure you have a microSD inserted if possible. Also, make sure your removable storage isn’t mounted.
Download now!

Just want to make sure about this
You used SuperOneClick v2.1.1 on your ¨virgin¨ 7024?
I have read that a couple of people bricked their devices trying to root with SuperOneClick