update.zip from Coby (build MID7015A 1.6a 1/26/11)

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
As promised, here's how to get clockworkmod reinstalled.

Root the tablet with z4root.

Setup the sdk. (instructions can be found in the ultimate guide)

Get a copy of the old update.zip and extract it somewhere.

Use adb to push flash_image from system/bin in the extracted directory to /system/bin on the kyros

On the kyros via a terminal emulator or an adb shell run the following commands:
Code:
su
chown root.shell /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image

Flash recovery.img as per the instructions in the ultimate guide.

cashdude1971

Feb 10, 2011
Newbie here.....Ok thanks for the info on the new update. Unfortunately for me I didn't read this post until today. I just purchased my Coby this week and tried rooting using the z4root method and not the rooting via a PC. I have Windows 7 and was unable to get my coby device to connect using my PC. You spoke of a "ultimate guide". Can you provide me a link to this guide. Also, where can I find an older update.zip file. Thanks.

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
The ultimate guide is a sticky thread in this forum.
If nobody does it first, I'll put the old update.zip in my dropbox account and post a link once I get home today.

Stoned99

Dec 8, 2010
@ l_n: have you seen any touscreen improvement since the update ? I know it's still a resistive screen but he's it more responsive and precise ?

Thank you so much for all the information. I just wished it was Froyo :(

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Not really.. I haven't recalibrated it yet, either. I've been more concerned with getting the hacks working again and confirming that everything still functions as it should.

Oh, btw, it seems some of the force close issues may have been addressed.. I'll test more at home when I have my tablet in my hands.

Stoned99

Dec 8, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll write an email to Coby to have a list of the new features/improvements it's supposed to do

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Good luck with that. I never even got a 'go away' reply when I emailed them asking for a stock rom image..

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Maybe you should remind her of their obligation to release all of the gpl'ed source code used on the device since they've actually replied to you. :p

Stoned99

Dec 8, 2010
It's funny cause I ended up our last conversation reminding her about GPL source code and here's what she said at that time:

The MID7015 was introduced in November of 2010 as a Android 2.1 unit. We will have Android 2.2 units available in 2011 but there will be model number change. I have referred the other part of your question to our Legal Department, as this is something I am not familiar with.
Regards,
Kate

And I never heard from the legal department...

l_n

Dec 28, 2010
Well, maybe we can at least get a proper changelog..

cashdude1971

Feb 10, 2011
As promised, here's how to get clockworkmod reinstalled.

Root the tablet with z4root.

Setup the sdk. (instructions can be found in the ultimate guide)

Get a copy of the old update.zip and extract it somewhere.

Use adb to push flash_image from system/bin in the extracted directory to /system/bin on the kyros

On the kyros via a terminal emulator or an adb shell run the following commands:
Code:
su
chown root.shell /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 0755 /system/bin/flash_image

Flash recovery.img as per the instructions in the ultimate guide.

Extract update.zip where? On my Coby Kyros or on my PC?

cashdude1971

Feb 10, 2011
The ultimate guide is a sticky thread in this forum.
If nobody does it first, I'll put the old update.zip in my dropbox account and post a link once I get home today.

Thanks for the info. Look forward in getting the old update.zip file. My only other issue (which I seen to have a lot with this) is I can't get the sdk usb driver to install on Windows 7. Any help out there for that? I've done some Google searches and found nothing "easy" to get it working. I need simple instructions...LOL Thanks!