USB Barcode scanner v keyboard

MartyNZ

Dec 4, 2011
Hi all,
I have purchased an A500 for the sole purpose of managing stock in our store. I purchased a Zebex USB barcode scanner to use with it. I have since discovered that because the scanner works as an emulated keyboard I cannot switch between scanner and keyboard for data entry without unplugging the scanner.

Obviously what I want to be able to do is scan a barcode to select a stock item and then edit the item details using the keyboard, which I now find is not possible without constantly plugging inh/unplugging the scanner.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem as it makes the whole purchase pointless.

cheers
MartyNZ

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You do Know that the Free Barcode Scanner app in the market will scan just about any barcode in the world, right?

There are about a dozen such apps with varying capabilities. Some include the capability to copy to clipboard so you can paste into what ever you intend to use as a stock management software.

Start with the stock management software and work backward from there. Maybe something like Inventory Droid, which supports scanning.

Last edited:

MartyNZ

Dec 4, 2011
Thanks for your thoughts Icebike but this has to work with our POS, and it needs to work with the bar code scanner the staff are used to.
Click on the field in the form, point the scanner and pull the trigger is far more efficient than: open a scanning app, scan the bar code, copy to clipboard, return to POS app, click on field in form, paste into field.

Cheers

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Thanks for your thoughts Icebike but this has to work with our POS, and it needs to work with the bar code scanner the staff are used to.
Click on the field in the form, point the scanner and pull the trigger is far more efficient than: open a scanning app, scan the bar code, copy to clipboard, return to POS app, click on field in form, paste into field.

Cheers

Try a wireless keyboard with the Iconia. works like a charm.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011

Cheers

One wonders how you managed to get a POS application on Android into production prior to discovering this failure?
What does the POS sofware developer have to say about this?

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
One wonders how you managed to get a POS application on Android into production prior to discovering this failure?
What does the POS sofware developer have to say about this?
Usually with those point and shoot scanners store a reasonable amount bfore the data can be uploaded to the system. Systems like this have been available for some time because I've seen them. The keyboard emulation MartyNZ speaks about must be on the scanner itself but the unit must store most of the scanned data - ie product barcode, quantity stored as a single record for each Item scanned. Then uploaded to tablet via USB port as a file in whatever format (ie. .xls or .db) though I don't quite understand what he is trying to do. Walking around with a scanner with Tablet attached is frought with disasterr.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
A
Hi all,
I have purchased an A500 for the sole purpose of managing stock in our store. I purchased a Zebex USB barcode scanner to use with it. I have since discovered that because the scanner works as an emulated keyboard I cannot switch between scanner and keyboard for data entry without unplugging the scanner.

Obviously what I want to be able to do is scan a barcode to select a stock item and then edit the item details using the keyboard, which I now find is not possible without constantly plugging inh/unplugging the scanner.

Does anyone know of a solution to this problem as it makes the whole purchase pointless.

cheers
MartyNZ
It would help if you told us the model. I had a quick look at the website

http://www.zebex.com/supports_services/FAQ_CompatibilityConnection.htm
Ye
es there is a USB port but most models use that for charging. The wireless option may work.
yes there is some info on the problem you have. It tells you quite plainly about the "keyboardproblem".

Greg_E

Nov 15, 2011
I suggest a scanner with bluetooth and keyboard emulation, not sure if it exists but it is worth a look.

dhengineer

Dec 28, 2011
I have the same requirement with Toshiba Thrive. Check out Serialio - Products - SerialMagic. They have an app for Bluetooth barcode scanners that contains its own soft keyboard. Very flexible, works well, the price is reasonable and tech support is excellent. And, no, I don't work for these people.

spudzer

Mar 30, 2012
I would suggest the Cipherlab's 1660/1661 BT scanner. We use it on the road for our reps with the A500 to get the soft keyboard to come up you would hit the power button once and and the keyboard toggle comes up in the notification area. You are able to then switch the keyboard on and off. I don't know if you would have this function with your scanner.

We use the 1661 it is good for about a week on a charge. CipherLab: 1660/1661 series Bluetooth® Scanners

If you end up being interested I have a contact I can put you in touch with.