Usb host problem and case

paila87

Dec 13, 2011
Hi! I'm writing from Argentina. I recently bougth an iconia a100 and a couldn't be able to connect a keyboard or a usb hard drive. I downloaded all the updates from the begining, the android is 4.0 but i'm not sure if the kernel is the stock one. I'm also looking for a nice case, the blurex is my best choise because i can't find the original from ace anywhere.
Thanks!!!

sutekh137

Apr 12, 2012
Hi! I'm writing from Argentina. I recently bougth an iconia a100 and a couldn't be able to connect a keyboard or a usb hard drive. I downloaded all the updates from the begining, the android is 4.0 but i'm not sure if the kernel is the stock one. I'm also looking for a nice case, the blurex is my best choise because i can't find the original from ace anywhere.
Thanks!!!

I have seen good reviews for the BluRex case. I have a poetic one, it was nice for under 19 bucks. At the $25 range, though, I would probably have gone BluRex. I think you'll likely be satisfied with anything in the 20-25 range, assuming it has decent reviews on Amazon. I can say the magnets on the poetic case do NOT interfere with GPS or Wi-Fi at all -- I think someone else commented about GPS not working as well inside a magnetized case, but cannot remember which case they had...

As far as USB hosting -- it does not work on the A100, not even with a 4.0.x Android installation. The A500 supports it on its full-size USB port, but since the A100 does not have a full-size USB (just a micro that acts as a USB slave), it has been speculated that the A100 simply does not have the hardware capability to support USB hosting. If you want to use an external keyboard, you'll need a dock or will need to go Bluetooth, and if you want to hook up a USB drive, you are simply out of luck at this point.

Thanks,
sutekh137

paila87

Dec 13, 2011
Thanks for responding. I will probably go for the blurex and I've been also looking for a micro sd card, but I'm not sure if buying a class 10 has sence or it will be the same that a class 6 or 4. I've also seen a Gen 2 class 10. I'm trying to find the write and read speed but I didn't find anything.

Thanks.

By the way, my dad use to have a coby mid 1024 tablet with android 2.2 and it has usb hosting. It's a shame that the iconia a100 doesn't.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
There have been suggestions that using a class 4 is fine. But I have noticed some complaints of file corruptions. This usually happens because of the slow writing - the speed given is usually the read speed not the write speed. Go with the best you can afford.

As for USB HOSTING, it is usually not available on the mini USB but on the full sized Usb which comes with the A200 and A500.